By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima Was Locked in a Separate Room for Final Six Months of MGS5 Development

Hideo Kojima was “locked in a separate room on a different floor than his development team” for the final six months of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’s development, according to veteran gaming journalist Geoff Keighley.

Keighley revealed the full extent of Kojima’s difficult relationship with Konami in a wide-ranging interview with Glixel, published ahead of this evening’s Game Awards.

Kojima was banned from attending the Keighley-curated awards last year by Konami’s lawyers.

“The fact that he finished that game under those circumstances is just amazing,” Keighley added. “He couldn’t even talk to [his development team] – he had to talk through someone else. That’s how that game was finished.”

Kojima’s strained relationship and subsequent parting of ways with Konami has been widely reported over the past 12 months, but this is the first time we’ve learned of the actual impact it had on the final development months of Metal Gear Solid V

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2016/12/02/kojima-locked-in-a-separate-room-for-final-six-months-of-metal-gear-solid-v-development-says-keighley//

Around the Network

What the fuck?

Is that even legal? How on Earth did the game finished developement in such conditions?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This gotta be bs

I would really like a documentary on what the fuck actually happened between Konami and Kojima.

Around the Network

What the heck is wrong with the higher-ups from Konami? Surely Kojima can sue for this unless i'm unaware of something. Really sucks that he was put in that position :/

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Sounds like Konami wanted him off the game but couldn't take him 'off' of it without losing face so they went to this extreme level.

Was Johnny Sasaki keeping him guard?

This is almost home arrest or being hostage. Thanks Kojima passion for his work is bigger than the negative impacts that could be even greater on the outcome of the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Uh....not sure how much I trust Keighley on this one. Not that I have any desire to defend konami or anything, but Keighley was rock hard for Kojima during the game awards. Hell, he was positively gushing.

Going off him, talking about Kojima like a war Hero that was prevented from bringing the cure to cancer and end of world hunger to society by forces of evil, I think this might be a tad exaggerated.