By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Project Scorpio Will be a Success Because Pachter Says Otherwise.

Microsoft's upcoming Project Scorpio system has been described as the "most powerful console ever made." As such, it's going to cost more than the Xbox One S (which starts at $300), but its exact price point remains a mystery. In an interview with Levelup.com, Spencer discussed Scorpio's price at a high level, saying the system is targeted at people who want a high-end experience.

"Scorpio will be a premium console. It will cost more than S, obviously, that's how we are building it," he said (via Gamepur). "We have not announced the pricing yet, but I want to make sure that the investment we are putting into the product of Scorpio meets the demands of the higher-end consumer and that will be a higher price."

Spencer's comments about Project Scorpio's price are apparently in response to analyst Michael Pachter telling Gamingbolt that it would be "suicide" for the console to cost more than $400.

For the full article, please go to:

Xbox Boss Discusses Project Scorpio's "Higher Price" and Reasoning Behind It

Around the Network

I expect Scorpio to sell about as much as the X1. It's other people's job to decide if that is a success or not.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Until MS can confirm and secure some true 4K games from 3rd party, I'm going to predict it'll sell very little, almost DOA. It'lls sell great in the first few weeks/months but overall lifetime it'll be bad.  Also depends on the price.

I'm certain MS will have a Halo/Gears/Forza optimizing the Scorpio but if 3rd parties dont care for it then Scorpio will just be for those that love MS 1st party games.

Bandorr said:
Pachter has two modes. Obvious, and oblivious. Where is either states something that is obvious, or states something that will never come true.

Depending on the price of the Scorpio - I do think it will have huge problems. Imagine if the Scorpio comes in at $450, and the slim/xbox S are $250. Along with the pro being $350 (or lower).

So in this case I think Pachter is going the more obvious route. It costing more will cause problems.

I think we have to create the definition of success first. Is it 20m, 30m, more than X1?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

V-r0cK said:

Until MS can confirm and secure some true 4K games from 3rd party, I'm going to predict it'll sell very little, almost DOA. It'lls sell great in the first few weeks/months but overall lifetime it'll be bad.  Also depends on the price.

I'm certain MS will have a Halo/Gears/Forza optimizing the Scorpio but if 3rd parties dont care for it then Scorpio will just be for those that love MS 1st party games.

lol this made my day... Scorpio DOA? I think you are mixing up your wishes and predictions...

Microsoft is going to do anything needed to make sure the Scorpio is a success. And no, not selling as much of the Play Station Four is not a failure.
With what we know today there is no way you could predict the Scorpio would be DOA, it is actually the opposite. A lot of people are hyped for it and the console is effectively going to be the most powerful console at this time.

Saying that Third parties will not care and not make use of the power is ridiculous... Why would they not when it is just a matter of balancing the resolution, framerate, effects, textures etc and all development tools they have let them do that already...

DOA ROFL... Keep wishing lol

Around the Network

It will sell less than the original Xbox 1 for sure, which isn't selling that well except in two lands.

The Brexiteers and the Trumpers lands.

LurkerJ said:

It will sell less than the original Xbox 1 for sure, which isn't selling that well except in two countries.

But is it a success or not?

Be careful because your answer could align you with Pachter!

V-r0cK said:

somehow I don't see that happening. If MS can turn xbox one's original disastrous launch around.. Scorpio will not fail.

Praise the One.

Imaginedvl said:

With what we know today there is no way you could predict the Scorpio would be DOA, it is actually the opposite. A lot of people are hyped for it and the console is effectively going to be the most powerful console at this time.

Saying that Third parties will not care and not make use of the power is ridiculous... Why would they not when it is just a matter of balancing the resolution, framerate, effects, textures etc and all development tools they have let them do that already...

DOA ROFL... Keep wishing lol

The ones that are hyped right now are X1 owners. You have to be an Xbox enthusiast to be hyped anyway giving the lack of solid information. Most people can't be hyped without knowning its price for example. I don't care the price but I can't possibly be teased with Phil's half-assed statements that followed an half-assed teaser.

It can be dead on arrival, the PS3 was dead on arrival and it got better with time. A 599$ price tag will kill it until it gets further price reductions. 

Imaginedvl said:
V-r0cK said:

lol this made my day... Scorpio DOA? I think you are mixing up your wishes and predictions...

Microsoft is going to do anything needed to make sure the Scorpio is a success. And no, not selling as much of the Play Station Four is not a failure.

Ok DOA is a bit of an exaggeration lol.

Who's to say MS is also going to do anything needed to make sure it's a success?  They're hardly doing anything to make the current XB1 a success.  That just makes it sound like they dont care so much about the current XB1s and they're hoping for a mid-gen reboot with the Scorpio.

And yes, in a business standpoint why would third parties want to spend the extra time and money to utilize the Scorpio just to please the smaller fanbase when all they'll do is cater just enough for the larger fanbase.  You make it sound easy that its just a matter of balancing resolution, framerate etc. but if it were so then there should be a lot more remasters and games like Batman Return to Arkham remaster wouldn't take so long and look as bad.

The way I see it, 3rd parties will make games for PS4/XB1, then use as little extra time and money to utilize the PS4 Pro's "4K" and put that same result onto the Scorpio rather then pushing it more using more time and money to utilize the Scorpio.

But like I said, that's just my opinion until MS can confirm that a number of 3rd party will actually utilize the Scorpio.  Because if it's not for MS's first party games being true 4K then I see no other reason to really pick up the Scorpio.