By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Fuzzy logic major news story.

Today at 3pm eastern standard time Janes Defense Weekly is going to run an article about the Cell processors recently aquired by the United States government. The Cell apparantly suffers from two previously unknown material phenomena similar to the tin whisker phenomena. The new phenomena are labeled MFG micro filament granules, and MLF micro loop filaments. This according to research done by DARPA with assistance from both Fermi lab, and Los Alamos.

They have further field tested commercially available units, and the same process persists which means it is endemic to all Cell processors. The phenomena basically causes thin wires of material to splinter off from the circuts and either twist back around themselves into complex spherical forms, or to loop out with two ends connected to the circuit. What is surprising about these loops is that they are perfectly symetrical, and can have long persistent duration. One loop from the original batch of chips has actually exceeded three millimeters in length. 

The only reason that the phenomena was discovered is, because the United States government uses a standardized testing system for all military hardware. Most companies or governments would not examine for whisker type of phenomena for chips that do not contain whisker inducing metals most specifically tin which requires lead to counteract the effect. However the test that detected the filaments is standard regardless of whether such materials are present or not.

Ironically the United States government views the entire exercise as a critical success. The scientists studying the phenomena see great opportunities for both science and technology. From new highly sensitive detection equipment to new lightweight material fabrication. One has gone so far as to say this accidental discovery overshadows the discovery of Penicillin which was also an accidental discovery.

The article will be well worth reading. I recieved a transcript of the article from a friend who fact checks on a voluntary basis for Janes Defense Weekly. I highly recommend that everyone read it when it is posted. Yes it is interesting in respect to gaming, but the science and the potential of this discovery are mind boggling. Even if the Cell chip is a technological bust it will go down in history as one of those moments that opened up entirely new fields of scientific inquiry.

The article is far more in depth, but I feel the site that is going to break the story deserves to get all the credit it deserves. Well written and if my friend has anything to do with it well sourced with appropriate research links. 

Thoughts.  

Around the Network

What ??? You have a avatar now dodece ??? Ya conformist....

Could you explain the article in a few (english-non-tech) words please... sounds interesting but I have no clue what you are really talking about... knowing you it must be interesting though... 

Random discoveries are always my favorite in Science. It shows how easily scientists learn from "mistakes" and their ability to think outside the box.

My thoughts are... What time zone are you in Dodece??

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@El Duderino

I suppose the simplest explanation would be that the Cell processors found for instance in the PS3 grows hair. When a hair from one part of the chip touches another the chip is destroyed. Basically nobody who developed the Cell even thought to consider this a possibility, because the metals in the Cell shouldn't cause whiskers.

@NJ5

The article should be posted in under three hours. Eastern Standard Time as of right now seems to be five hours behind GMT.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

My thoughts are... What time zone are you in Dodece??

Are you in Australia with me Dodoce?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Done

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@starcraft

This story would be rather elaborate for a joke. I understand everyone is gun shy, but seriously who could come up with anything remotely like this. Anyway I do not mind if you guys are scared to comment or anything my vindication is two and a half hours away. Then the real conversation can begin. I will just be disappointed that I will miss the first seven hours I have to head out the door at three. 

Who would have seen this one coming...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I've been a long time lurker to these forums, but I just needed to comment on this topic.

Is there any information in the article that actually has a conclusion of what is causing the whisker growth? Is there any reasoning why this isn't present in any other silicon dies?

Maybe a little unrelated, but what does this have to do with fuzzy logic? (I kind of thought this was a little misleading)

Without reading the article (yet), this could mean that all PS3 Cell processors will have a 100% failure rate in the future. This could be a more serious problem for Sony (although this is still speculation until I can read the article)