By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ps4 v ps4 pro, please answer this question so i can decide.

I heard the ps4 pro power consumption is 310 watts, double that of ps4 slim so the question is if I play it everyday 4 hours on average, roughly how much extra will it cost me in  my monthly or yearly electric bill as opposed to a 150 watt ps4 slim? This is a deal breaker for me i would appreciate anyone who is knowledgeable about this. If the extra cost is negligeable then it's the ps4 pro if not then it's ps4 slim.

Around the Network

No, the Pro won't use 310W of power. It's just the AC power adapter theoretical maximum. The OG PS4 had a 250W but usually needed 125W during most games.

It will probably needs twice what the slim needs, but it won't be 310W (and the slim only consumes 60W to 80W depending of the games, much lower than the 165W written on the power adapter).

This is actually one reason why super powerful pc's that eat electricity are even more expensive than it seems. Or cheaper pc's that are not so power efficient.

This is a good question that people often leave out when considering different gaming platforms.

Metroid33slayer said:

I heard the ps4 pro power consumption is 310 watts, double that of ps4 slim so the question is if I play it everyday 4 hours on average, roughly how much extra will it cost me in  my monthly or yearly electric bill as opposed to a 150 watt ps4 slim? This is a deal breaker for me i would appreciate anyone who is knowledgeable about this. If the extra cost is negligeable then it's the ps4 pro if not then it's ps4 slim.

The average power consumption will be much lower than 310 watts. The wattage of the PSU only indicates the capacity under stress, not the normal power consumption.

If you can buy the Ps4 Pro and you got a 4k tv, then is a no brainer man. If you can afford it, buy the very best.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

PS4 Pro

Step 1 convert watts to kW ---> divide 310/1000 = 0.31kW

Step 2 Multiple kW x number of hours = kWh ---> 0.31kW x 4 hours = 1.24kWh

Step 3 Check how much your retailer charges per kWh (form what i could tell about the UK about 11pence + VAT i'll assume 20% so 11pence x 1.2 = 13.2pence) ---> 13.2pence x 1.24kWh = 16.37 pence a day

Step 4 Yearly charge - 16.37 pence x 365 = 5974.32 pence = 59.75 pounds per year

For PS4 slim as it is roughly 50% less power it will be about 30 pounds per year.

Saying all this that is the ac adapter maximum, during games it would use less. 

PS - Don't forget standby power if you leave it connected.

WagnerPaiva said:
If you can buy the Ps4 Pro and you got a 4k tv, then is a no brainer man. If you can afford it, buy the very best.

Well i have only got a 1080p tv and its only 26 inches (right size for my smalish bedroom) but i will get the benefits of higher framerates and improved image quality through down sampling.

the-pi-guy said:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html

Just use that.

Assuming 8 hours a day, at ~340 W, at 16 cents an hour.
It'll cost about 13.44$ a month, or 161$ a year.

Maybe this'll be better for you.

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running_costs_electricity

Thankyou you've been a great help. The extra cost is minimal, I will definately get the pro.

Kerotan said:
This is actually one reason why super powerful pc's that eat electricity are even more expensive than it seems. Or cheaper pc's that are not so power efficient.

This is a good question that people often leave out when considering different gaming platforms.

Most GTX1070 and GTX1080 systems have a power consumption between 200 and 300 watts... they aren't less efficient than a PS4 Pro.

And the power consumption in idle mode of PCs (web browsing, Youtube, Blu-ray...) is often lower than the idle mode of consoles.

No one really counts wattage. Go with Pro.