By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSVR: Sony Ramping Up Production To Meet Demand

GodOfPeace3 said:

I'm pretty sure it outsold Facebook Rift and Vive at midnight last night. Those two combined are only 90,000 users on Steam. The best estimates say around 90k Vive and 60k Rifts. Since not everyone is on steam.

PSVR probably is at 800,000 right now.

Did rift and vive really do that poorly? Im shocked cuz I keped hearing that they both sold out and where short on suply at the begining and having trouble keeping up with demand. And combind they are under 150k?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

That means Day1 they could have outsold both Occulus Rift + HTC Vive.

We all knew Sony was probably going to be the leader when it came to VR at start, however dont think most of us expected them to do so day1.

Well, I was predicting it would beat them combined before the end of the year, so I think I got this one

However, 3 or even 7 millions is still too low if they want to be a viable platform. A game like Robinson looks like it costed 20M and that means a good 3M to break even. Considering that the potential install base for a current gen console game is 65M (PS4 + X1), still is a big risk.

eva01beserk said:
GodOfPeace3 said:

I'm pretty sure it outsold Facebook Rift and Vive at midnight last night. Those two combined are only 90,000 users on Steam. The best estimates say around 90k Vive and 60k Rifts. Since not everyone is on steam.

Did rift and vive really do that poorly? Im shocked cuz I keped hearing that they both sold out and where short on suply at the begining and having trouble keeping up with demand. And combind they are under 150k?

I've seem some ballpark estimate putting them combined between 250K to 500K units, but that includes the dev kits they send to devs. Also, 500K is a WAY optimistic estimate.

Samsung Gear VR is the top VR right now, with sales between 1 to 2M. Mind that they gave away it with S7 sales, so this can be a bit exagerated.

torok said:
eva01beserk said:

I've seem some ballpark estimate putting them combined between 250K to 500K units, but that includes the dev kits they send to devs. Also, 500K is a WAY optimistic estimate.

Samsung Gear VR is the top VR right now, with sales between 1 to 2M. Mind that they gave away it with S7 sales, so this can be a bit exagerated.

Holy crap. I guess vr really rest in sonys hands now.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

NSS7 said:
Will outsell Oculus and HTC Vive combined this year.

If it does 2.6m this year, like they think it will... it ll be alot more than just out selling it.

It will make the others (rift+vive) sales look bad.

Around the Network

While I fully expect PSVR to outsell both Oculus and HTC, the sales will quickly die down - as has happened with the competition. It's a fad you guys.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
While I fully expect PSVR to outsell both Oculus and HTC, the sales will quickly die down - as has happened with the competition. It's a fad you guys.

Maybe it is. But the lack of good software will be why it will slow down. They can anounce some actually good games in the next 2 gameshows this year that are not just tech demos and sales might actually rise.

eva01beserk said:
GodOfPeace3 said:

Relatively. I doubt Oculus and HTC expected much higher sales. As a electronics giant and having experience in manufacturing head mounted displays, Sony has the advantage over the competition who could not meet such high demand even if it was there.

But their sales combined certainly is beyond 150k.

Hunting Season is done...

Economics of scale could kick in, if Sony are makeing enough of them.
Compaired to the others. If they could lower the price even 50$ more than it currently is, I think that would help sales.

Entry price is a very real barrier for VR.
399$ is still alot to pay for VR.

eva01beserk said:
DanneSandin said:

Maybe it is. But the lack of good software will be why it will slow down. They can anounce some actually good games in the next 2 gameshows this year that are not just tech demos and sales might actually rise.

Yeah, Sony should have learned that a gaming HW needs games to go with it. I'd be really surprised to see if the attach rate were a lot more than 10% of en PS4 install base. Really, really surprised. Maybe 15%, yeah, but not more than that

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.