By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - VP Debate: Key Moments

I only caught the last half of the debate.  I will watch the whole thing when I get the chance, but right now I doubt I will find anything I missed more revealing about the difference between the two candidates than the question about their religious beliefs. 

The question put to both men was, roughly, "Tell us about a conflict you've had between your personal religious views and public policy and how you resolved it." 

Kaine described his Catholic faith and specifically opposition to the death penalty, and described how as governor he felt he had to set aside his personal convictions when acting in the capacity of governor of the state when making decisions regarding that state's application of the death penalty.  He said that despite his own views he felt it was not the place of a public servant to use their position to try to impose their religious views and practices on the American people.  (As I recall, he did not spell it out, but to me that was the clear implication of what he was saying.)  It is worth noting that this is the one time I heard Kaine give a complete answer to the moderator's question without taking the time to insert an attack on Trump somewhere. 

Pence, in turn, described his own faith, but when he mentioned abortion it was not to tell us how his religious views impacted his life as a public servant but rather to attack Hillary Clinton for supporting "partial-birth abortion".  I was listening for him to get back to how he would answer the question but I don't believe he really did.  To me, the implication is that perhaps he, unlike Kaine, is persuaded that he SHOULD use his place as a public servant to impose the policies dictated by his religious doctrine, but knows that saying so would be very damaging to the campaign.  It is worth noting that he did not follow Kaine's lead in for once leaving their running mates out of the answer.  It's hard to say whether he did it primarily to obfuscate the fact that he was dodging the question, since it's hardly impossible that he just wanted to get in more shots at Hillary. 

The rest of the debate, or at least the parts I heard, were about 80% attacks on the opposing side's running mate and 20% policy discussion.  Nothing else I heard seemed to give us nearly this much insight into the VP candidates themselves. 

If you watched or listened to the debate:  What do you think? 

(I will probably edit this with better details later, but for now I'm willing to post it.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Pence carried himself better. Kaine seemed too wound up. But Pence was tap dancing around everything. He would barely discuss the issues. From my perspective, Pence is the better politician, but he's still trying to sell snake oil, and he knows it.

bunchanumbers said:
Pence carried himself better. Kaine seemed too wound up. But Pence was tap dancing around everything. He would barely discuss the issues. From my perspective, Pence is the better politician, but he's still trying to sell snake oil, and he knows it.

It did seem like Kaine let himself get more carried away. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
bunchanumbers said:

It did seem like Kaine let himself get more carried away. 

I think Kaine was playing the old school VP nominee role when he didn't have to. He had attack after attack lined up, was aggressive, and it made him look bad when it didn't have to be like that. Neither one really talked policy, and Pence was tap dancing like crazy. All Kaine really had to do was stick to the facts (which he did) and present them in a calm manner.

I don't think Kaine hurt Clintons chances, but still.

Screw the Debate this is where the real entertainment was at.