By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Things This Gen You Didn't Expect

Topic in the title, guys; what surprised you this generation? This source of surprise doesn't have to be positive, either, so feel free to troll NMS all you want. Just try to include other surprises if you're going to lemming your way through a post by following what everyone else does- it'd get boring otherwise.

1. I didn't expect Bloodborne to turn me into a Souls maniac.

2. I didn't expect a game called "Salt & Sanctuary" to be good at all, much less personal GotY material.

3. I didn't expect No Man's Sky to turn into a viral joke.

4. I didn't expect PS4Pro to lack a UHD Bluray Drive.

5. I didn't expect Witcher 3 to be so popular after two entries that were "cult classics" at best.

6. I didn't expect Pokemon Go, much less the hyper-popularity (though I did expect the rapid decline in popularity).

7. I didn't expect a remake of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars to take a VGChartz GotY award (and I still think it is wholly undeserved).

8. I didn't expect Nintendo to make their own Plug'n'Play console.

9. I didn't expect PS4 to break 50% market share so quickly.

10. I didn't expect Microsoft would start shipping their Xbox exclusives to PC.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

I didn't expect TLG to release already.

I didn't expect the sudden interest in 4K blu-ray.

I didn't expect Wii U not to have an exclusive Zelda game.

I didn't expect Just Dance to be my most played game this year (on console)

I didn't expect NSF to simply give up as well as any other arcade racer that doesn't start with the letter F

Didn't expect Windows 10 to be Free for a year

Didn't expect a service like PSNow, specially coming to PC

Didn't expect MS to release their games to PC

Didn't expect ps4Pro to not have a UHD Bluray player

Didn't expect Xbox 1 S to have a UHD Bluray player while Sony's consoles didn't

Didn't expect Wii U not to have an exclusive Zelda game.

Didn't expect VR to be this expensive

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I didn't expect Azuren and by the looks of t most of the community here to have such shit taste in games.
Rocket League shat all over 2015's other GotY "contenders"

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

I certainly didn't expect to like Ratchet and Clank considering how much I hate the original game but...

Around the Network

I didn´t expect the WiiU to underdeliver. When I bought it, I bought it with ZombiU and thought "this is the coolest thing ever, the possibilites are endless".
And then... It went south, like, very very fast.
I still think it had amazing potential.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I didn't expect I would end up wanting an Xbox One, but I do
I never expected the PSVita would still be a thing
Never expected the PS4 Pro and Scorpio to be a thing
I never expected the Wii-U to have this small of a support in 2016
I never expected The Last Gaurdian to ever come out

Twitter @CyberMalistix

I didn't expect XOne to be what it turned to be...I thought MS will go all out and have more powerful console, with monthly payment model (at least in US).

I didn't expect Fallout 4 to be such a departure from proper Fallout and proper RPG...but it's Bethesda, so who am I kidding.

I didn't expect Witcher 3 to underdeliver (for my taste) as open-world game, after CDPR talking about Gothic games influencing them.

I didn't expect so much good classic CRPGs.

I didn't expect I'd like VR so much.

• I never expected that a handheld would be my most preferred console (3DS).
  • I never expected that I would use a console for almost all my internet needs (Wii U gamepad for banking, communicating, movies, entertainment, surfing etc.)
  • I never expected that my interest in VR/AR would totally disappear.
  • I never expected that console gaming would go back to being only for a minority again after last generation with Wiimote, Kinect, Dancing games, Music games, artistic indie games etc.
  • I never expected PC gaming to survive economicaly.
  • Most of all I never expected to participate in this generation at all (and yet I have Wii U, 3DS, PS4 and was on the verge to get a Vita).

I didn't expect hating the PS4 so much and then happily buying another one this year.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.