By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Slim: Hands On Impressions [Digital Foundry]

Cooler and quieter:

View on YouTube

Overall, we've only had a very short amount of time with the revised PlayStation 4 so far and we're eager to hammer down the results once we have a system in the office, but the outlook is very promising. The console is smaller and more discrete, but this hasn't resulted in any kind of noticeable compromise to system performance. The key litmus test is this: given the choice between a brand new PS4 Slim and the existing CUH-1200 model, which one would I pick? Well, based on the couple of hours spent with the new hardware, it's a no-brainer - the new PS4 is a winner. Fundamentally, it addresses one of the weakest points of the current generation PlayStation 4 - the noise level: it appears to be significantly quieter in many scenarios. In fact, in the tests we ran using digital content (ie no BD drive noise), it's up there with the original Xbox One and marginally quieter than the Xbox One S. We'll update with more metrics once we have the hardware in hand, but right now, this tidy little unit looks like a really impressive revision.

Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-the-playstation-4-slim-cuh-2000

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

seems like a great machine redesign. will carry sony to the generation win no problem

if i wasn't going to buy a pro & psvr i'd get one this holiday

Above & Beyond

so up to 86W in this (preliminary) test with a 165W PSU - some people were mad the PS4 Pro uses a 310W PSU, but as we can see companies like to have a lot of unused overhead in that area

Rocket League (Testing):
Oldest PS4s = 130watts while playing (63 dB)
PS4 Slim = 63watts while playing (43 dB)

^ that is crazy.

Not only that it runs like 5-10 degree's cooler as well, while makeing that much less noise.

Thats under half the power usage of the oldest PS4 models.

Also each dB is a doubleing in noise levels, those 20+ dB differnces are HUGE.

(eurogamer did a Xbox One S review, and they had the it at 44-45 dB, this is less noisy)

Sounds good but nobody should buy this over the Pro.

If Gamestop has a deal I may trade my PS4 for a Pro.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Got a friend at work (Xbox fan) talking about getting a PS4, is now getting a slim Uncharted 4 bundle. I asked why he wasn't going pro, he said the price - just wants to play the Sony games. There is a market for a basic system with a lower pricetag.

arcaneguyver said:
Got a friend at work (Xbox fan) talking about getting a PS4, is now getting a slim Uncharted 4 bundle. I asked why he wasn't going pro, he said the price - just wants to play the Sony games. There is a market for a basic system with a lower pricetag.

Do you mean there's a market for the lower priced Slim or that it should be cheaper?

The PS5 Exists. 

Seems like Sony have it good with the Slim.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I meant lower in relation to the Pro

Mr Puggsly said:

Sounds good but nobody should buy this over the Pro.

If Gamestop has a deal I may trade my PS4 for a Pro.

Why not? If you're someone who doesn't care about having the most up to date tech and just wants to play PS4 games the Slim is a great way to go.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.