By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Meltdown Over No 4K Blu Ray Player In The PS4 Pro

Tagged games:

You know, until today, I didn't know UHDs were the main reason to buy a game console. What was I doing this whole time? Playing games, phhft. I'm an idiot.

Around the Network

I dont own 4k tv or monitor, and i dont have any 4k Blurays. I never even owned an bluray player or bluray movies. And i dont even like to watch movies.
BUT im so steamed-up right now, that ps pro dosent support that!

I would have liked to have the option for the future in ps4 pro. However even as a big fan of physical media and blu-ray in particular, I'm not all that fussed about no 4k blu-ray player. I watch blu-rays on a 1080p projector with dedicated surround sound, it's awesome.

However to upgrade the full chain, a $400 separate player isn't going to be the deal breaker, $8000 projector, $1000 hdmi 2.0 receiver, $35 movies that so far don't even look all that better than their blu-ray counterparts. Read the 4K UHD reviews, they're pointing out differences like DF does between XBox One and PS4 games... Sure compared to the garbage that's 1080p streaming it looks wonderful, but just play a normal blu-ray on a well calibrated screen for now until 4K UHDs actually start using 4K masters with footage made with HDR in mind instead of added as after effects.

As a video purist I'm still a bit skeptical about the whole added value of HDR. It was never part of cinema with it's max brightness of 14 fL (48 nits, hdr specifies over 1000 nits). Movies up until now can maybe benefit from the wider color gamut, yet for decades it used to be restrain the contrast and color saturation for a more natural look with better details. Now suddenly it's all about extreme contrast and brighter, glowing reds and greens. huh?

Anyway since the ps4 pro won't have one, I can stop checking for 4K projector prices until the Scorpio releases at least.

Lawlight said:
Not that anyone is asking but the last time I bought a movie in physical disc form was the extended edition of the The Return of the King back in 2004. 12 years ago. Just saying.

You don't seem to care some users really see value in a physical disc player. Why should we care about what you do?

You buy an expensive 4K HDR Premium set...you want to see what its capable outside the demo mode you saw in the store.

You can't get an actual 4K quality stream from a bitrate perspective.

You can't get actual 4K gaming outside PC without some upscaling.

Having the ability to play a nice showcase UHD Bluray is your purchase's only saving grace for the best image quality.

I'm not a big physical media buyer myself, but i still grab the latest Marvel films and whatever comes out for Disney/Pixar for the family. Those will now be UHD, and most come with Bluray and UV digital copies for other device uses.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Around the Network

"Pokémon Go is a real game-changer" -Kaz. Joking aside, perhaps Sony weighed out 4k support and its value concluding that it may not be cost-effective to add it to their hardware.
It is disappointing as I had been considering purchasing a PS4 (FF7-related). That would've been a nicely added feature.

KLXVER said:
It probably would've jacked up the price. At the end of the day it is a video game console.

Want to play games in 4K? Buy a PS4Pro.

Want to watch movies in 4K? Buy a BR player that supports it.

As other posters have said, the Xbox One S manages to do both of these things, albeit with diminished graphics relative to PS4Pro.

It is not a world-ending exclusion, but it is very strange, and will impact some people's purchasing decisions.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:
It probably would've jacked up the price. At the end of the day it is a video game console.

Want to play games in 4K? Buy a PS4Pro.

Want to watch movies in 4K? Buy a BR player that supports it.

That means $700 minimum to get 4K games and movies on my TV. 

Or I could just wait a year and probably get an XBox Scorpio that can run games better at 4K and can run 4K movies for probably $400. 

Sony's value proposition here for 4K entertainment is not very good. 

You talk about value proposition but you went and bought a 4k TV long before they're proper mainstream.  

Not sure how long ago you bought it but a year from now high end sets costing $1600 will be got for $1000.  That's a big saving.  

Now maybe you went with a budget 4k set but that would be ironic wouldn't it.  

czecherychestnut said:
Personally, I'm not upset or anything, but it has made the PS4 pro go from a must buy to a 'buy when my current PS4 dies'. I don't have a 4k TV but the extra quality at 1080p is tempting, yet the future proofing of have a uhd Blu-ray player for when my TV eventually dies and I replace it with a 4k TV was the necessary pull to bring me across the purchasing line. Without it, I can wait.

Hopefully, Sony can release a PS4K pro that costs an extra 50 and comes with a uhd drive. I'd buy that.

It would be funny if they did that in 12 months when the cost of the UHD drives have plummeted.  Release a new pro model and the only difference it has a UHD drive this time.  And release it just before the scorpio at a much lower price.  

I wonder would the small amount of consumers doing u-turns now do another 180 and find their way back to PlayStation.  regardless the numbers were talking here are small and pretty irrelevant to the overall market. 

Kerotan said:
czecherychestnut said:
Personally, I'm not upset or anything, but it has made the PS4 pro go from a must buy to a 'buy when my current PS4 dies'. I don't have a 4k TV but the extra quality at 1080p is tempting, yet the future proofing of have a uhd Blu-ray player for when my TV eventually dies and I replace it with a 4k TV was the necessary pull to bring me across the purchasing line. Without it, I can wait.

Hopefully, Sony can release a PS4K pro that costs an extra 50 and comes with a uhd drive. I'd buy that.

It would be funny if they did that in 12 months when the cost of the UHD drives have plummeted.  Release a new pro model and the only difference it has a UHD drive this time.  And release it just before the scorpio at a much lower price.  

I wonder would the small amount of consumers doing u-turns now do another 180 and find their way back to PlayStation.  regardless the numbers were talking here are small and pretty irrelevant to the overall market. 

Would that not make you mad?

If I were to be an early PS4pro adopter, I would be psised if they did that.