By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could Europe ever become the biggest market?

Looking at this week's sales number, I saw how close the numbers were for America and Europe

America (taking out GBA and GC because they are not found on Europe's chart)

HW Total =  679,120

SW Total =  5,206,214

Europe

HW Total =  584,173

SW Total =  2,331,148

HW numbers are pretty close, but SW numbers are not, and the reason for that I think is because VGChartz is able to track way more games in America (as well as Japan) than they are in Europe/Others.

Europe has about 2 times the population of the USA, the Euro is stronger than the dollar and more and more countries in Europe are developing. Personally I think in the next generation or at the latest 2 generations from now Europe will replace America as the most important market 

Around the Network

no that will never happen

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

For consoles in particular?  Maybe.  Another thing to keep in mind when looking at those numbers, the PC market in Europe is a lot bigger than in the states.

when eastern/southern europe (last 12 countries that accessed UE) will catch up economically western european countries.

(\__/)
( -'.'-)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Ever? Absolutely. It's really hard to guess when though. Europe moving to the forefront is more difficult than when the North American market moved ahead of Japan due to the language and economic issues.

As it is now a lot of games get released in Europe in English, French, Spanish, and German; but there are a lot of other languages in Europe. It's very difficult for game companies to justify localizing every game into, say, Slovakian (nothing against Slovakia). However, many of these smaller European countries are developing rapidly and have large numbers of multi-lingual speakers that can enjoy games in languages other than their native one. As this trend spreads, the language barrier will become less of an issue, but it's very hard to guess when/where the tipping point will be.

The same goes for economic issues as well. There are countries in Europe where games are absurdly expensive when compared to the average wage. However, in no small part thanks to the Euro, this gap is also closing.

In the the end, I agree that there's a good chance Europe could become the largest market by the end of the next generation. It's the most complicated market by far though, and many of the factors are far out of the hands of video game companies or even gamers in the region.

Around the Network

Europe is already the biggest videogame market.

But if you're talking consoles only, it will still take a while. When eastern countries' economy get better, it will surpass the U.S.

With the US rapidly falling into a nation wide recession and even heading for a possible depression, Europe could even become the biggest market within months.

Economic foresights for Europe are by far better then those of the US, and with numbers increasing on one side and numbers decreasing on the other things couls change rapidly.

If creditcard companies become more critical of their customers and start lowering credit for it's customers (already happening), the luxury items market will be hit the hardest with the 360 as the prime victim.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

When Eastern Europe becomes as big of a market as Western Europe.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

Of course it can become the biggest gaming market and it may already be.

In terms of market value as a whole, the Eurozone market alone (so without for example the UK and most other European countries) within Europe is already bigger than the US economy.

Europe is just hard to track.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I believe you dont have to see the european market as "the biggest market"
but u have to consider 1 thing :

NA market will not be the biggest market for eternity and it will be outcompeted by the european market soon.

Of course, later, Asia may be the biggest market :

Asia > Europe > NA

Time to Work !