By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - In just over seven months, humanity has used up a full year's allotment of natural resources such as water, food and clean air – the quickest rate yet. The point of "overshoot"

Soundwave said:

I think advancing desalinatization tech and the ability to create modified/lab created food sources will shore us up on food/water but air quality is going to be a big problem.

The future of food needed protein, is to eat insects.

Get ready for the McD of the future to mix in insect paste to keep prices down.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Aren't water, food and clean air all renewable resources?

Don't know how water works, but there must be some way it gets renewed, I dunno maybe when urine evaporates it takes all the pissy bits out and turns it back into water to rain down again or something? Food is easy. More animals are born and more plants grow. Clean air is even easier, just needs more plants to consume the carbon dioxide in the air and release oxygen, the opposite to what we do, and since more plants is part of the food one anyway...

Yes but we re useing about twice as much as the earth can renew every year.

Basically we re distroying the planet at faster and faster rates.

Ideally we would need to get our "damage" down to a point where it matches what the earth can renew every year.

We are WAAAAY over that point.

100 years from now, the sea levels have rose.

Less land to live on, less room for livestock, higher price on meat (so we eat insects), the air is soo unclean you probably need masks to go outside.

Water will be less clean than it is now, not that many places left on earth maybe where its safe to jump in the ocean for a swim.

Zoombael said:

Nah. No worries. 15-20 years and the technological singularity will happen. Maybe even earlier. Most if not all our problems will be solved.

If this fails, there is Plan B:

Ive seen terminator :p

The A.I will decide the best way to protect us from destroying ourselves (and our world) is just to wipe out half the population of the world... or some such.

Mr.Playstation said:
I'll be old by the time the world becomes a dump so whatever...

What about your kids?

Mr.Playstation said:

When resources become scarce, the handicapped and the elderly will be the first to go. There wont be any "government intervention", as they'll be too busy fighting off the hordes demanding their adequate amount to survive.

Around the Network

Technology will solve these problems overtime. For example, people are having less and less reasons to drive thus cleaner air. With things becoming more available to us through internet such as work, shopping,school, hanging out with friends,ect this will cut down on pollution. Not to mention cars are polluting less with the new emissions they have. Instead of spending so much money on the EPA we need to spend money in investing into technology. Technology is key to all of these things.

Not to mention the more we invest into technology the better our economy will get.

fordy said:
Mr.Playstation said:

When resources become scarce, the handicapped and the elderly will be the first to go. There wont be any "government intervention", as they'll be too busy fighting off the hordes demanding their adequate amount to survive.

Sounds like a horror movie to me.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
fordy said:

Sounds like a horror movie to me.

It's scary how fragile public order really is, balancing on a multitude of diminishing resources.

Ka-pi96 said:

Aren't water, food and clean air all renewable resources?

Don't know how water works, but there must be some way it gets renewed, I dunno maybe when urine evaporates it takes all the pissy bits out and turns it back into water to rain down again or something?

Surely you were taught about the water cycle in science class when you were a kid.  You might as well get a refresher considering it is an important concept to grasp.

So to get more water, we need more evaporation from warmer oceans and warmer air. Burn more fossil fuels and the water will come! The rain washes crap out of the air as well and helps plants grow. All problems solved.