By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Damn you, Gamestop! ("New" gutted copies.)

For some reason, here in Australia, from the Hi Fi store that I buy games from, the console games have been gutted, but the PC games are still in their original wrapper. Good for me, since I play on PC, but it's weird.

Around the Network

Is it really so hard to buy a used or new game from Amazon, wait a while, and play the copy you intended on purchasing? I haven't gone to Gamestop to buy something in years. Don't even bother. There are alternatives to places you continuously complain about. :)

Because of this and many other issue with games stop, I got the Gamer Rewards card ($30 for 2 years) from best buy and pay $48 for any new game ( they take 20% off any new game purchased). This includes online orders and special editions, so my doom special edition took $24 off the original $120.. Not only that if they have flash sales which they do all the time, you still get the deal off the sale.

When Star Wars came out they dropped it to $30 for a week. they take 20% off that as well, meaning I only paid $24 for the game. The deal is awesome. Also lets not forget that if you pre-order some games, not only do you get the 20% off, you also get $10 in reward points to put towards anything you want.

However the only down side is that their in store pre-order system sucks. It is much better to do it over the internet or if you do pre-order in the store, keep the receipt handy. They can find it but it's a process. Really it comes down to the system Best buy has them use... I made this mistake a few times, even though they found my pre-order and it was all good, it did take some time. The up side is they didn't try to up sell me to random non-sense.

I buy all my physical copies via amazon.

Gamestop can go fuck themselves.

Why I use Amazon or Best Buy for nearly all new games.

Around the Network
vivster said:

So they don't have Amazon or literally any other online store in your country?

No wonder Gamestop is so successful if people constantly buy there without any reason at all.

No where else has the game in question at a reasonable price. 

LivingMetal said:

I think we all know by now that when Gamestop places a copy of a game on the shelf as "new," it's a copy that has been opened with the game disc stored behind the counter somewhere.  I want to be the one who first opens a new game by removing its shrink wrap.  Also, it helps guarantee the case isn't scuffed and the instructions are in near mint condition from who know how many people who have handled it.

I just ordered the elusive Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation NEW from Gamestop's website.  I figured they would have had several copies of it new in factory sealed shrinkwrap.  Well, guess what?  It was a GUTTED "NEW" copy.  What gives?  Does Gamestop gut all of their "new" games at the warehouse to prevent employees from stealing them?  Did stores send back their gutted copies to the warehouse, and I happened to be the unlucky one to get that special "new" copy when according to their website there are more new copies in stock?  Was this actually a used game that they are passing off as "new?"  Yeah, I've got to give them a call to see how they'd respond to this what appears to be a scam.

I am with you 100%. This has happened to me several times. Not for over a year thankfully. If I get the time/energy, I will tell you a lovely story, but for now, just backing you up.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

LivingMetal said:
vivster said:

So they don't have Amazon or literally any other online store in your country?

No wonder Gamestop is so successful if people constantly buy there without any reason at all.

No where else has the game in question at a reasonable price. 

You know why the other stores are more expensive? Plastic foil doesn't come cheap you know. Buy cheap, get no plastic.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Buy online.

At my EB (which is essentially Gamestop) they always have shrinkwrapped copies of new releases behind the counter for the first month. After that is when they do the gutted new copies, which I think makes sense.