By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How come World of Warcraft was never released on consoles?

because there are about 60 keybinds(action bars) in the game. And each class should add every abilities depends on pve or pvp, and also they have to add quick items.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

i think it is pretty self explanitory..

Yeah, seriously.  

They'd have to have consoles-only servers and rework everything, including making all raids easier.  They probably don't believe that expense and effort would be justifiedy by the number of console gamers willing to buy m/kb.

If they didn't, then the very first question any guild would ask would be, "are you on PC or on console?"

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I would LOVE that. Maybe Blizzard could streamline the controls to work with gamepads?

I suppose people could get by using gamepads with small groups/solo play and the smaller raids.  Large scale raids at a high level?  I don't see how that could work without a major overhaul of the system.  Maybe they could replicate most of the best mods and maybe people could get by without text chat.  Even if they used the triggers as shift keys, that's still not enough buttons.  Maybe all four?  I dunno.  Still, I can't imagine being a healer keeping up with 39 party members in a raid using a gamepad.

So many people forget that Mouse and Keyboard has been on consoles for decades. Sega Saturn even had a mouse and keyboard. Every console now has USB, any PC game can work just fine on a console. I used a Dreamcast keyboard playing PSO in the 90's to chat.

GodOfPeace3 said:
So many people forget that Mouse and Keyboard has been on consoles for decades. Sega Saturn even had a mouse and keyboard. Every console now has USB, any PC game can work just fine on a console. I used a Dreamcast keyboard playing PSO in the 90's to chat.

Pretty much. 

Around the Network

Too difficult to get cross-network play to work methinks. Since it's been established for several years, people would want their existing WoW accounts to be used on console. I think WoW fans would really scorn the idea of having one account for console play and another for PC.

Also - Activision probably couldn't get away with charging you the monthly fee on console. Remember how that was a big gripe about TESO?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

As someone who plays both FFXIV and WoW I do not see how they could and keep the same game.

FFXIV was created to work on both Consoles and PC (just like how FFXI was made to work with a gamepad). WoW is not.

I love FFXIV on the PS4, play a good bit of it. Actually enjoy the game more with a controller than I do with the keyboard/mouse on my PC.

Just getting back into WoW with the 7.0 Prepatch and just couldnt see the game as it is right now working on Consoles.

Can you imagine all the WoW graphics look like shit on console, complaints, the game would get. On top of all the control issues.

pokoko said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I would LOVE that. Maybe Blizzard could streamline the controls to work with gamepads?

I suppose people could get by using gamepads with small groups/solo play and the smaller raids.  Large scale raids at a high level?  I don't see how that could work without a major overhaul of the system.  Maybe they could replicate most of the best mods and maybe people could get by without text chat.  Even if they used the triggers as shift keys, that's still not enough buttons.  Maybe all four?  I dunno.  Still, I can't imagine being a healer keeping up with 39 party members in a raid using a gamepad.

It's not just the number of buttons and controls. It would have run at 720p max last gen on tvs that really are far too small to identify all those icons at a distance. Raids were a big puzzle of where to put all relevant info on my 1280x1024 monitor, I was a healer too. There was just a tiny bit of space left to see where I was walking :)

Some lite version can be done now ofcourse. The game is big enough limited to single group raids. It's still a bit of of a struggle to map everything. According to my screenshots I still had 25 spells on the ready. That can be reduced ofcourse, different variations of the same spell for mana efficiency and buffs can be in a separate radial menu, same as utility spells. You don't need that many on the ready for actual encounters. With a few pages of mapped abilities it could work.

WoW has been in decline for a while though, it might be tough to ask a monthly subscription of console gamers and expect them to play it for years. I have no clue how FF14 did?