By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go´s Server situation is ridiculous - Nintendos fault?

Is Pokemon Gos server situation acceptable for you?

Yes, so many players, they cant do better 20 26.32%

No, after 2 weeks they ne... 40 52.63%

I dont play pokemon go 16 21.05%

Total:76

niantic is a small company. i dont think they expected the game to be as popular as it is.

want some pot? i made a coffee.

Around the Network

No, it's not acceptable for the servers to still be this unstable, but still the fault is on Niantic, not Nintendo

You do realise that servers are not managed buy Nintendo but buy Niantic!?

Also Pokemon GO is most popular game in world, that break records of course that will have servers problems, I don't think anybody expect such a success.

Mbolibombo said:
hadoram said:

As much as i know the publisher of an game is reponsible for the server situation (because they pay for the server capacities).

Why "nintendolike" you ask?

Well here are some examples for things/mistakes nintendo is doing to save some money in situations its just not seasonable:

1. Zelda BOTW half voice acting. Releasing a big AAA game in 2017 without full voice acting is ridiclous. You CANT tell good, emotional and exciting stories with text boxes. Thats just not possible. While i can totally understand the idea of an mute Link (so the player can more likely feel like him) there is no real justify to have other people beeing mute as well in the game just to save some money on the voice acting.

2. Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 no pro Controller support. The game supports the gamepad, doesnt require motion controls -> still no pro controller support (the game is from sega but published by ninendo).

3. No Voice Chat in Splatoon. I dont believe their main argument about voice chat in splatoon. Splatoon is already heaving connection issues sometimes, i think addiotional voice chat would be to much for the servers is the main reason we didnt have it into the game (voice chat in mario kart/smash is also very limited for no reasons)

want more?

Not sure what any of those things have to do with the actual topic, no pro controller support for Mario & Sonic is kind weird though, chat in Splatoon has been adressed to why they dont have it and Zelda games have been muted since forever. 

And no, Nintendo is not the publisher of Pokemon Go.

Basically, this his post just proves that this thread is just about bitching NIntendo.

JetSetter said:
Funny how when it comes to the profits on this app people like to think Nintendo had nothing to do with it but when we talk about server problems, Nintendo are the only ones involved.

Honestly I think the bulk of the blame falls on Niantic since they did develop the app. And really I don't think anyone knew this app would be the breakout hit that it is. I mean this thing as broken records here and there. Sure hindsight is 20/20 and we can all say "it's Pokémon on a phone of course it would do well" but really this was a risk and they probably didn't plan for this.

You know what's funnier? Confirmation bias. When people post about NInty making this incredibly awesome decision, when they praise them relentlessly for Pokemon Go going as far as saying that NInty came up with an original/innovative idea, you ignore it. When others say that Ninty had nothing to do with it, you pay attention.

The truth? Somewhere in the middle. Ninty does deserve credit (okayed the app, worked two years with Niantic) but should have definitely supported Niantic better and offered them more resources for servers. They should have stepped in by now.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Server issues are normal when something new has unprecedented demand.

This.

This thread and the reaction is clearly down to many people having not played a popular game which relies on online servers in the first weeks/months of release.

The simple way to look at it is that whoever is behind the servers knows that upwards of 50% of the users of this app will use it less than a handful of times and may well uninstall it after the first week, to ask a company why they do not have the infrastructure in place to handle 2x the expected number of users to be playing this game by the time the dust settles and people realize that it is the most literal "walking simulator" which ever existed then like I said it just comes down to experience with this sort of game and launch.

Think of it like a Cinema, if Star wars was coming out in a month or two, there will be high demand for it... do you build an extension to your Cinema because for the opening weekend there will be people turned away and upset because they didn't get a seat on day one to watch it... knowing that by the end of the opening weekend people will have come in and had their fill of the movie and then wave 2 can happily come in and sit down? Clearly since you don't want/need empty seats for the rest of the year the answer is to try to seat those you can, but at the same time, knowing that having space for a million people who want to watch the film on Day 1 isn't a good business decision.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

naruball said:

You know what's funnier? Confirmation bias. When people post about NInty making this incredibly awesome decision, when they praise them relentlessly for Pokemon Go going as far as saying that NInty came up with an original/innovative idea, you ignore it. When others say that Ninty had nothing to do with it, you pay attention.

The truth? Somewhere in the middle. Ninty does deserve credit (okayed the app, worked two years with Niantic) but should have definitely supported Niantic better and offered them more resources for servers. They should have stepped in by now.

But I'm not ignoring people who praise Nintendo for this. I think it's an awesome thing that the went outside their confort zone and tried something new with the IP and I've seen alot of people be happy about this. I just point out the people thinking that Nintendo gets no sizable profits (or none at all) are not seeing how much of role Nintendo play in regards to the Pokémon IP. 

Also like I meantioned earlier, I don't think any party thought this game would be the hit that it is. Why invest in more servers when you don't forsee that much of a demand?

JetSetter said:
naruball said:

But I'm not ignoring people who praise Nintendo for this. I think it's an awesome thing that the went outside their confort zone and tried something new with the IP and I've seen alot of people be happy about this. I just point out the people thinking that Nintendo gets no sizable profits (or none at all) are not seeing how much of role Nintendo play in regards to the Pokémon IP. 

Also like I meantioned earlier, I don't think any party thought this game would be the hit that it is. Why invest in more servers when you don't forsee that much of a demand?

So why exactly are they not investing now?

A hacker group brought the servers down for a couple of hours, they're planning on bringing it down again on August 1st for 24 hours... Because they have nothing better to do.

Mowco said:
A hacker group brought the servers down for a couple of hours, they're planning on bringing it down again on August 1st for 24 hours... Because they have nothing better to do.

Please please, of all the things to do, do not refer to people who download LOIC as hackers, genuinely upsets me. All those script kiddies want is some attention so the best way to fight people like that is to ignore them as day to day users and not spread their schedule around as though it was of importance.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive