By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Recommend a Pokemon game for a noob like me.

You can start anywhere to be honest. None of the games connect (Except heart gold/soul Silver and Black/White 2) and each game is made to be your first. However if you are really wondering what you want.
X/Y if you just want to play the latest pokemon game
HeartGold/Soul Silver if you want to play the best one
FireRed/Leaf Green if you want to start where the story starts
Red/Blue if you want to be ultra hardcore and start from the beginning.
Pokemon Go if you are ultra casual

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

I would recommend Heart Gold and Soul Silver or X and Y as entry points. They are easy to get into but have a lot of content. Also Gen 2 is just awesome. If you want to play the first gen, then you can grab them on the eshop or, if you have a Gameboy Advance, pickup the Fire Red and Leaf Green remakes.

Silver is the best one

Any mainline handheld one. They are all good, although black and white does share a fair amount of criticism

BasilZero said:
zippy said:

Ok, I have been gaming for over 30 years, I'm a huge Nintendo fan who has owned most of their systems, and played a high percentage of their big titles. However I'm ashamed to say I have never played a Pokemon game (Pokken Tournament doesn't count). With Pokemon go being all the rage at the moment I thought I might as well finally delve into the franchise, better late than never. Anyway, could I please have some recommendations which Pokemon game would be a good starting point, It will have to be one that's available on the Wii U E shop as that's where I do a lot of my gaming (good old off tv play). Thanks in advance, I look forward to your recommendations.

Not sure if they are on VC but I recommend playing....

1st gen Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
2nd gen Pokemon HeartGold/Soul Silver
3rd gen Pokemon Emerald
4th gen Pokemon Platinum
5th gen Pokemon Black/White
5th gen Pokemon Black/White 2
6th gen Pokemon X/Y

In that order. Yes in that order. Play one of each (except for 5th gen which is 2) in each generation

fixed it ;)