By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why isn't Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz considered hardcore?

reviews of it say stuff like:

"the puzzle arenas grow increasingly more difficult and later stages are downright insane – hence, although everybody can enjoy the experience on some level, only the skilled and dedicated will beat the title."

and

"so ridiculously complex and unforgiving that we pulled out our hair until we were bald. If that reads like a criticism, it's not. We put high value on challenging games and we will attest that after you successfully master some of the ludicrous stages in Banana Blitz you will walk away with a real, true sense of accomplishment."

and

"The latter half of the game features plenty of levels with 90-second time limits that can easily take you a good half-hour to get past"

since when has 'hardcore' come to not include spending 30 minutes on a 90-second level?  It used to be that 'hardcore' meant difficult to master and beat, not 'full of blood and gore'

is it simply because it has cartoony graphics?  why does a difficult game like SMB:BB get dismissed as a kiddie game and not classified as a hardcore game?

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network

b/c if people admitted that something that has mini games might be hardcore, the seventh gate of hell opens up and we have the cat apocalypse....

similar to this,

Fastrabbit09 said:

reviews of it say stuff like:

"the puzzle arenas grow increasingly more difficult and later stages are downright insane – hence, although everybody can enjoy the experience on some level, only the skilled and dedicated will beat the title."

and

"so ridiculously complex and unforgiving that we pulled out our hair until we were bald. If that reads like a criticism, it's not. We put high value on challenging games and we will attest that after you successfully master some of the ludicrous stages in Banana Blitz you will walk away with a real, true sense of accomplishment."

and

"The latter half of the game features plenty of levels with 90-second time limits that can easily take you a good half-hour to get past"

since when has 'hardcore' come to not include spending 30 minutes on a 90-second level? It used to be that 'hardcore' meant difficult to master and beat, not 'full of blood and gore'

is it simply because it has cartoony graphics? why does a difficult game like SMB:BB get dismissed as a kiddie game and not classified as a hardcore game?

Simply because this game lacks depths in gameplay area. A game being hard/punish doesn't mean it's hardcore.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

^but isnt mastering that type of game the art of hardcore?

mesoteto said:

not really, it just means you have too much time to spend. Have time to play games =/= hardcore.

I mean, one can play Wiisport and Carnvial game all week and I wouldn't consider the person a hardcore gamer. It really depends on the type of games the person plays.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Until someone can give us the definition of a hardcore game, there's no need to argue over whether Super Monkey Ball meets the criteria.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

well i guess we have to agree to disagree b/c i consider it time not type

kingofwale said:
mesoteto said:

not really, it just means you have too much time to spend. Have time to play games =/= hardcore.

I mean, one can play Wiisport and Carnvial game all week and I wouldn't consider the person a hardcore gamer. It really depends on the type of games the person plays.

On the contrary, if someone can play Carnival games all week for at least 3 months, I would consider him definetly ultra hardcore. I mean playing Call of Duty for 3 months is something, but if you can actually play Carnival games that long you must be a hardcore gamer.

Pretty much what King said. It's a game that doesn't require commitment. You can play it for a week strait, drop it for 4 years, and randomly decide to play it again and you'll pretty much be on the same page with the goal of getting better at said mini-games. Casual to the max lol.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

kingofwale said:

Simply because this game lacks depths in gameplay area. A game being hard/punish doesn't mean it's hardcore.

so all those recent 'hardcore' 'aaa' games have depth in gameplay?

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp