By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm Starting Zelda...Advice?

killeryoshis said:

Oh and Zelda 2 is awesome! Do not let others discourage you! But..... it is also hard so it is not for the weak minded.

I'm thinking I might just save it til a bit later as I improve on some of my 2d skills since they have been more limited to just platformers in the past.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
Avoid all portable games 

I find it interesting how many people say this. While not being 3d is obviously a big change, I'm finding Oracle of Ages to be an incredible game. Plus, I can play probably 4x as much on my 3ds as the other consoles so each handheld should be done in a week or less.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I highly recommend playing all the Zelda games. There isn't a bad game in the bunch, and, to me, it's the best video game series of all time.

However, based on your caveat in the OP, I might recommend skipping the first two games and starting with A Link to the Past, which is the quintessential Zelda game. From there I'd recommend Link's Awakening, Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds. You can probably skip the Four Swords games if you're playing solo.

As always, I recommend playing games in release date order, but if you want to jump around at least follow this order: Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks; Ocarina -> Majora's Mask; and A Link to the Past -> A Link Between Worlds.

Note that you'll need a Wii Motion Plus to play Skyward Sword, but it's so worth it. The game boasts the best, most responsive motion controls of any game I've played.

I think that's it! I hope you enjoy your adventure :)

Baalzamon said:
LipeJJ said:
Avoid all portable games 

I find it interesting how many people say this. While not being 3d is obviously a big change, I'm finding Oracle of Ages to be an incredible game. Plus, I can play probably 4x as much on my 3ds as the other consoles so each handheld should be done in a week or less.

I highly suggest you to ignore that advice, portable zelda games are great, Link's Awakening is arguably one of best games of the franchise and if you love Oracle you are probably gonna adore that one.

Also A Link Between Worlds is a complete must have for the 3DS and probably the best Zelda since Wind Waker, it also feels like a very modernized reboot of A Link To The Past wich is as superb as a game can be and another must-play.

Start with "A Link to the Past".

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
LipeJJ said:
Avoid all portable games 

It is good you already think this way, but yeah definitely don't avoid all portables. I'd say avoid Four Swords and Triforce Heroes because those are ass. You could probably also live without Phantom Hourglass and The Minish Cap unless you really get into the series. The Oracle games are good, Spirit Tracks is also good, but a lot of people don't like it's control and style though. A Link Between Worlds is pretty great, but Link's Awakening is where it's at. That is a brilliant game in every way, to me one of the games ever made. Definitely don't miss that one.

Anyway I'd argue that for the regular player A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess are the "essential" ones to play, for reason of gameplay-style, lore and accessibility.