By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the oldest gen that still looks fine to you graphically?

...?

1st gen (Pong) 20 3.55%

2nd gen (Atari 2600) 5 0.89%

3rd gen (NES) 113 20.04%

4th gen (SNES) 190 33.69%

5th gen (PS1/N64) 24 4.26%

6th gen (PS2/Xbox/GC) 128 22.70%

Last gen 65 11.52%

Current gen 19 3.37%

Total:564
iLikeEggs said:

I don't really view visuals like this. There are games from each gen that age well, just like how there are some that age poorly. It's one reason why SNES games have aged better (overall) than games from the 64/ps1/saturn era. Better aesthetics, as well as the fact that finely-done 2d ages nicely. Then, you also have games like Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, SMT: Nocturne/DDS, etc. which are from the ps2 era and have aged better than games from the 7th gen. It all depends on the games style, not its generation. 

There's definitely exceptions to all of the gens. Even in gen 2 there's games like Pitfall II, defender, H.E.R.O., River Raid and others that still look plenty good to play even though they're remarkably simplistic visually. I'd say that you don't start seeing a lot of good looking ones until gen 3 though, and probably not consistently until gen 4.

Around the Network

I am not bothered in the slightest by old gen graphics, from whenever. Everything can still look good to me, because I'll have a 2nd, 3rd, 5th gen or whatever mindset when playing such a game. I set my expectations as such.

Now if you're asking me what gens still look as esthetically appealing now as they did back then even compared on equal grounds, picture to picture, to the current gen, I'd say the 4th gen. Some games from back then aged so well, the best ones like Yoshi's Island even look prettier to me than most modern games!

Its hard to say cuz games from the NES/genisis era were mostly cartoony so they still look alright now as it doesn't really age, it was when games started going into 3D and those early 3D games that look really bad, they're pretty much unplayable and I wonder how I even looked at the screen for that long it's that bad.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Thrillville on my PS2 still looks awesome!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

For me, the "16-bit" era. Games like Mega Man X and Super Mario World still look amazing today, and if it weren't for their dated sound, could easily pass for brand new indie games.

Around the Network

Gamecube, all the way. Windwaker, SM Strikers, TP, Sunshine

Johnw1104 said:
iLikeEggs said:

I don't really view visuals like this. There are games from each gen that age well, just like how there are some that age poorly. It's one reason why SNES games have aged better (overall) than games from the 64/ps1/saturn era. Better aesthetics, as well as the fact that finely-done 2d ages nicely. Then, you also have games like Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, SMT: Nocturne/DDS, etc. which are from the ps2 era and have aged better than games from the 7th gen. It all depends on the games style, not its generation. 

There's definitely exceptions to all of the gens. Even in gen 2 there's games like Pitfall II, defender, H.E.R.O., River Raid and others that still look plenty good to play even though they're remarkably simplistic visually. I'd say that you don't start seeing a lot of good looking ones until gen 3 though, and probably not consistently until gen 4.

That is true. I completely agree. 

Hi

The 3rd gen already have some very nice looking games.

Depends. 2D games have looked great since the NES

As for 3d...eh, maybe gamecube? N64 was too simplistic for me to consider it fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Though there are some games that still holds very well on the third gen, overall speaking the 4th gen still holds superb and probably will be for the end of time.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1