By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Brain-dead victims: suffer or pull the plug?

hershel_layton said:
Johnw1104 said:
Well that'd worded kind of oddly, as brain-dead people aren't "suffering".

It's exceedingly difficult to decide, as many people who were thought to be brain dead have made some miraculous recoveries, but others have never come out of it. I'm not sure there's a right answer here, which is why I prefer leaving it up to close relatives to decide if no directions were provided in a will.

Reason I mention this is because not everyone makes comebacks(sadly). And it costs A LOT of money. Yes, money isn't everything, but i had family members who had their plug pulled because we couldn't afford to go into six-digit debt.

Yeah it's crazy how expensive it gets.

Heck, I recently had spontaneous pneumothorax (basically an inexplicable little hole opened up in the right lung causing it to partially collapse). All that really happened is they put a tube in my side and I sat around for 2 1/2 days. Among the many bills I've since gotten for it, in one of them they asked my insurance for $31,000 for that stay.

Thankfully with insurance I've really only had to pay about $1,600, but it's just incredible how much that sort of thing costs. Permanently occupying an intensive care room (though i suppose they might move them when things stabilize), while needing to be maintained by expensive as hell machines and constantly cared for... I can't even imagine how much that costs, but I wouldn't be shocked if it hits $1 million in just a month.

Around the Network

Pull the plug. Let Nature does its work.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

If they are brain-dead they aren't suffering. Only society is suffering maintaining the vegetable alive.

Kill it and save money.

solidpumar said:
If they are brain-dead they aren't suffering. Only society is suffering maintaining the vegetable alive.

Kill it and save money.

Confirmed: Vegans cause humans to go brain dead so they can cook them for their next meal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Consent always comes first in matters like this ...

I think we should encourage people to make these decisions early on in their life for corner cases like a coma ...

If the choice solely came down to me though I would never take it in my hands to end one's life without their dues ...

Around the Network

Well, as we move away from religion we move towards there being nothing after death. So you simply are non existent. So it's a tough one, do you have a right to end their only turn they'll ever get at life, forever, even if it is in an brain dead state.

Post Removed - Zekkyou

Post Removed - Zekkyou

Post Removed - Zekkyou

Pull the plug, i wouldn't want to be "alive" in a situation like that