By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Off with their knees!" Or will they leave their Wii Remotes behind?

One of the truisms has been that a person, usually young, will come into the gaming world on a Nintendo system, then eventually in a few years, graduate to the more mature consoles, now those of Sony and Microsoft.

With the Wii, new gamers, though not necessarily young, are coming into the gaming world.  But they aren't learning on a traditional controller.  But on the Wii remote.  And if they play on the Wii until the next set of consoles come out, that could be 5 years of learning on just that controller (or the equivalent with extra plastic wrapped around it). 

Right now, the previous generation of consoles gamers on the Wii are having to learn the transition from lot of buttons controller to the Wii remote.  And it is hard on them.  But by the next generation consoles, they will be used to it.  And the new gamers will know nothing but waggling your controller.

Where does that put Sony and Microsoft?  They will, I think, come out with their own motion controlled remotes, that is, their own 'gimmicks' as some would call it.  But their games will be still designed with the analog controllers in mind, since that is where their gamers still are.

Because of this, I think it is possible, that Nintendo won't lose the new gamers as much to the other consoles, cutting them off at their knees to slightly-new users.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

I agree.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Indeed, plus nowadays, more and more people are simply buying more than one console for their household. I'm going to get a PS3 later this year, but my wife bought me a Wii in the mean time and it's pretty nice. I got her a DS and she got me a PSP a few years ago. Plus a PS2 in the livingroom. It's nice having a little bit of everything. (I would get an Xbox but games on the PS3 are more suited towards my tastes plus I want the PSP to PS3 interactivity)

Sony and Microsoft will surely make motion sensing controllers too but with much better graphics on their systems, which will cost a lot more money, which will turn the casual gamers away, which will lead to another victory for Nintendo, which will make me happy. I won't say which anymore...

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

No, I think MS & Sony WILL make some sort of motion-sensing controller and make their consoles ultra-casual too. They'll still have 'hardcore' games, but they will concentrate more on casuals. Like Nintendo. They ALWAYS copy Nintendo. Well, MS not that much really, but Sony. They're like 'Hey, this thing Nintendo's doing is really succesful, let's do exactly the same!' Bugger them. They copy everything. I just KNOW they're gonna come up with some sort of HD Wii for their next console.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Nobody 'graduated' to Sony/MS. Isn't the old MATURE! buzzword dead yet?

360 and PS3 mature??

blood and gore and guns doesnt make games more "mature"

actually I think it's more the other way around

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

hahah dude I posted the same thread like 2 months ago :p :p

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

and it was better hehe :p

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=13073

read here for the full discussion on this topic

Currently playing: