By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Computex Livestream has begun, RX 480- 5+ tflops for $199, releasing June 29th

shikamaru317 said:
So, the Rx480 has 2304 stream processors. According to the rumors, AMD's highest end Vega chip coming later this year has 4096 stream processors. Considering how impressive 480's performance is with 2304, imagine how impressive Vega will be with 4096. It might just dethrone the 1080, unless the 1080ti or a new Titan is out by then (October).

If Vega 10 or 11 don't outperform the GTX 1080, AMD is in deep trouble.

shikamaru317 said:
ICStats said:

The 5TF RX 480 is 150W TDP.  I suspect power & heat will prevent a 6TF GPU console in 2017.

Before the official announcement Polaris 10 was heavily rumored to use just 110-135w of power. I get the feeling that AMD got a bit generous with their official TDP rating, I doubt it actually uses close to 150w, but I guess we'll see when the reviews start coming in later this month.

For what it's worth, the 7850 that PS4's GPU was based on was a 130w chip. 20w isn't that big of difference, MS would simply need a roomy case and a 120mm cooling fan, much like Xbox One's case and fan/heatsink. It's also worth noting that Xbox Scorpio may be using AMD's new 14nm Zen CPU architecture, so it's possible that MS could make up the difference with a lower thermal rating for the CPU part of the APU. At the very least I think MS will hit 5 tflops next year, maybe higher.

The RX 480 won't use 150W for a very simple reason: it only has a 6xpin power connector.

The card can only get 75W from that, plus another 75W from the PCIe connexion, and neither AMD nor Nvidia would launch a 150W card and feed it with just those 150W. Any small fluctuation or problem (from a not so good power supply, for example), and your game would crash.

So, if we assume a 5-10% margin, we have a 135-140W card.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

The timing is perfect... the tech, price point, the sacred tdp, really no excuses for Ninty. Polaris 11 is perfect for the NX home console.

Soundwave said:
So 5.5 TFLOP Polaris 10 for $250 ... anyone still doubting that MS can't get 6 TFLOPS for next fall at a reasonable price?

That depends, do you still stupidly think NX will only have a 1-1.4 tflop gpu?

Soundwave said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, MS can definitely hit their 6 teraflops target for under $450 imo, maybe even $400. 

$399.99 will be easy. 

This is cheaper than the 7850-7870 GPUs that the PS4/XB1 used for their time (7870 was $350 when it launched in mid-2012). 

To be honest looking at that Polaris 11 price, Nintendo really dun fucked up by not using that chip (it seems). $130 retail for a 2.5 TFLOP GPU at under 50 watts?

Apparently, you do. So don't talk about others when you're much worse.

shikamaru317 said:
bunchanumbers said:
Hmm. If NX is using Polaris 11, I wonder what kind of price range we'll be looking at? If they can get performance above PS4 at $199 I think they would hit a really nice sweet spot.

Well, the 460 is less than $140 at retail, which means Nintendo could likely get a custom APU (CPU+GPU) using a Polaris 11 derived GPU for less than $140 since they'd be buying in bulk. I think Nintendo could definitely hit $250 if they wanted to, maybe less. The main concern is the controller, if it has a screen again it will raise the price some.

Some very little.

Mr.GameCrazy said:
Soundwave said:

$399.99 will be easy. 

This is cheaper than the 7850-7870 GPUs that the PS4/XB1 used for their time (7870 was $350 when it launched in mid-2012). 

To be honest looking at that Polaris 11 price, Nintendo really dun fucked up by not using that chip (it seems). $130 retail for a 2.5 TFLOP GPU at under 50 watts?

Any confirmation of that or is it just a rumor?

This is soundwave we're talking, he just assumes any BS "rumour" that fits his agenda is true.

bunchanumbers said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, the 460 is less than $140 at retail, which means Nintendo could likely get a custom APU (CPU+GPU) using a Polaris 11 derived GPU for less than $140 since they'd be buying in bulk. I think Nintendo could definitely hit $250 if they wanted to, maybe less. The main concern is the controller, if it has a screen again it will raise the price some.

I think that $249 needs to be the absolute ceiling for NX pricing. Hopefully they don't go overboard with the controller concept.

You think wrong.

se7en7thre3 said:
The timing is perfect... the tech, price point, the sacred tdp, really no excuses for Ninty. Polaris 11 is perfect for the NX home console.

There is no NX home console. NX is a home console, period. Also, polaris 11 isn't perfect for it, it's the absolute minimum we can expect. Polaris 10 makes a lot more sense or maybe even a customized version that uses 75-80W and thus perform in between polaris 10 and 11.

shikamaru317 said:

Also interesting is the R7 460 specs leak. 2.5 teraflops for less than $130. Some rumors have suggested that NX will use Polaris 11. 2.5 teraflops for less than $130 at retail could potentially allow Nintendo to top PS4 specs for $300 or less at release.

Not potentially, for that gpu price, a console would certainly cost $249 at launch while breaking even or profiting a little. It' is far more probable that nintendo goes for a more powerful gpu, between 4 and 5.4 tflops and release a console for $299, maybe $349.

Around the Network

So, how much those cards are more powerful than current gen Consoles ?.

So, a sub 50W 100$ GPU is faster than PS4.
perfect for NX.

could a handheld also use this tech?

Swordmasterman said:
So, how much those cards are more powerful than current gen Consoles ?.

Does it really matter? All those TFlops or GFlops figures don't have a direct correlation into real world performance.

That said, and just to satisfy your curiosity, these are the numbers you want:

So RX 480 is ˜3.15x PS4 and ˜4.4x XboxOne.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Did sony officially claimed a release date for ps4 neo? Cuz i really doubt they would let MS get the uper hand on them for simply not waiting a few more months.

Someone mentioned before that the xbox is more constrained in the upgrade department, due to the sdram it has. That its important or they could loose backward compatability. any truth to that?

I know its not about consoles this thread, but it was already mentioned. But I really see nx coming with one of theese at around 4tf for like $250. They will go cheap to recreate the wii success and to walk away from the super expensive wii u gamepad and sub par quality. They just need to be good enoughf to get lower quality third party suport.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:
Did sony officially claimed a release date for ps4 neo? Cuz i really doubt they would let MS get the uper hand on them for simply not waiting a few more months.

Someone mentioned before that the xbox is more constrained in the upgrade department, due to the sdram it has. That its important or they could loose backward compatability. any truth to that?

I know its not about consoles this thread, but it was already mentioned. But I really see nx coming with one of theese at around 4tf for like $250. They will go cheap to recreate the wii success and to walk away from the super expensive wii u gamepad and sub par quality. They just need to be good enoughf to get lower quality third party suport.

Sony hasn't said anything about the Neo. But based on the leak, an October release seems likely since all games that release after September must have both PS4 and Neo versions.

I'm sure MS can get around that issue by keeping the esRAM for backward compatibility purposes and combining it with much faster GDDR5 instead of XB1's slower DDR3, but I'm no expert. I'm sure that MS has a solution in mind to have both good specs and backwards compatibility, according to the sources that leaked Scorpio's existence, Microsoft's top goal for Scorpio is beating Sony in the specs department because they're sick of getting inferior 3rd party ports.

I can't see Nintendo hitting 4 tflops for $250 in March. Neo is 4 tflops and it's rumored to be releasing at $400-450 later this year. I do think Nintendo will aim to beat PS4, but at this point I'm doubtful that they'll try to match Neo. Something like 2.5-3 tflops for $250-300 is what I'm expecting. Since PS4 has at least 3 more years of support ahead of it thanks to the clause that requires devs to keep supporting PS4, as long as NX beats PS4 specs and is x86 for easy porting, Nintendo should be able to get 3rd party support. Then once PS4 support is dropped, Nintendo could theoretically use those Supplemental Computing Devices they patented to boost NX up to Neo/Scorpio level to keep getting support. 

The gpu is the most expensive component in gaming, even using the stock rx 480, after the apu version for the console comes out, it should be under $300. I think $250 for 4 teraflops should be reachable. Deppending on what type of controller they go with. Hope nintendo learned their lesson with the wii u gamepad.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.