By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Computex Livestream has begun, RX 480- 5+ tflops for $199, releasing June 29th

shikamaru317 said:
Ruler said:
so Neo 5+ TF confirmed?

It's strange, the specs that Digital Foundry got for Neo don't match with anything. Same stream processor and compute units count as the 480, but lower tflops (4.1 for Neo compared to 5+ for the 480). So either the specs sheet Digital Foundry got was wrong, or it is Polaris 10 but underclocked for some reason.

maybe they didnt except to hit 5tf who ever leaked it 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
vivster said:

Wonder when they'll finally wise up and stop trying to cram their hardware into tiny boxes with ridiculously pitiful cooling. Just use a slightly bigger case, so you can install a proper heatsink with a slow and quiet 12cm fan and you can overclock the shit out of your APU. As if anyone gives a shit if their console is a few cm thicker and a pound heavier.

Yeah, I always found the whole shrinking thing with consoles baffling. Xbox One runs cool and quiet because the case is so big. I hope that Scorpio has a similar sized case as the original Xbox One with a similar cooling solution (100+mm).

I doubt it. Don't forget it's marketed to console people. Die shrink = everything smaller. If the box isn't smaller then people will ask what good a shrink is^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ruler said:
shikamaru317 said:

It's strange, the specs that Digital Foundry got for Neo don't match with anything. Same stream processor and compute units count as the 480, but lower tflops (4.1 for Neo compared to 5+ for the 480). So either the specs sheet Digital Foundry got was wrong, or it is Polaris 10 but underclocked for some reason.

See previous posts.

Low clock because APU and shitty cooling.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Ruler said:

See previous posts.

clock doesnt have anything to say about power

I also would like to remind people that FLOPS are not a very good or accurate measure for gaming performance. FLOPS on consoles vs PC are in no way comparable. Even less between Nvidia and AMD.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Wonder when they'll finally wise up and stop trying to cram their hardware into tiny boxes with ridiculously pitiful cooling. Just use a slightly bigger case, so you can install a proper heatsink with a slow and quiet 12cm fan and you can overclock the shit out of your APU. As if anyone gives a shit if their console is a few cm thicker and a pound heavier.

They need to realize that this isn't 1990 and that  hardware now needs heatsinks and active cooling.

I imagine you could fit some pretty beef tech in a case the size of the original Xbox these days. That thing was huge, but crazy powerful in its day.

Ruler said:
vivster said:

See previous posts.

Wait what? Please tell me you're joking.

You do know that clock is a factor in the FLOPS calculation and that one reason why APUs are so weak is that they run lower clock speeds than dedicated GPUs? Of course you don't.

vivster said:
shikamaru317 said:

Wikipedia says 5.6 tflops for the 980ti. 

You are correct. Forgot that it was released with that very low base clock of 1000MHz. I usually only see the custom models that start at 1100MHz and go up to 1300MHz at boost.

5.6 TFLOPS is still not even close to high end though.

Hmm... It's actually starting to look more enticing the more I think of it. Such a GPU for $199? Actually a good deal considering my needs, but I wonder how well it's gonna overclock. My guess is the Founder's Edition ( ) is going to be a poor overclocker, just like the nVidia ones, but I hope Sapphire releases a custom card that has more than just 6 pin power. I mean, nVidia Founder's Edition cards use 8 pins and suffer from lack of power, but custom ones use up to 6+8+8, which has to result in totally different performance when OCed. I hope for 8+6 pin for custom RX 480, so that after OC it can almost compete with stock 1070 (thus being on par with a Titan X... A freaking Titan X for around $199!!!!).

Granted, we've seen the cards have 4/8 GB. I have no idea what a 4 GB card is supposed to achieve in the market, but I'm affraid it may be the only version that reaches the $199 mark :-/ Hope that's not the case, but that's a possibility...

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

vivster said:
Ruler said:

You do know that clock is a factor in the FLOPS calculation and that one reason why APUs are so weak is that they run lower clock speeds than dedicated GPUs? Of course you don't.

Xbox One has also more Mhz still its weaker than the PS4, there are various examples with different GPUs from Nvidia and Amd

Ruler said:
vivster said:

Xbox One has also more Mhz still its weaker than the PS4, there are various examples with different GPUs from Nvidia and Amd

You need to multiply the Compute Units by the frequency to reach the final performance. The reason why the PS4 has better performance is because they have quite a few more Compute Units than the Xbox 1 (btw, because of their choices in terms of RAM compared to Sony's GDDR5, leaving more space on the APU for CUs)