By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Computex Livestream has begun, RX 480- 5+ tflops for $199, releasing June 29th

5.5 TFLOPS probably means that 2048 SP at 1350 MHz was the true leak, rather than 2304 SP at 1266 MHz. Though whether that's the full chip at all remains to be seen.

Around the Network

I'm not a super-tech guy, so I'm a bit confused. If Sony is going with a custom Polaris 10 as rumored and the card is so cheap, why would they order one that is so much weaker than the rumored custom gpu in the Xbox Scorpio? Are they just that worried (or inhibited) by the rest of the architecture to keep the power low in order to maintain compatibility between ps4 and ps neo? Why not just use the more powerful gpu if it's so cheap? 

Sorry, I realize my question is more ps-focused than pc-focused. 

Not really fussed about boasted full DX 12 support since I'm never going to use 10, Vulkan is my major concern if anything from either party. I'm also not in the mainstream low end area and I'm still sitting here waiting for AMD to give me a 1080 type card that gives me either a lot more perf gains or does the same but is way much cheaper, if not then I'm still with Green team (also Nvidia features for the new GPU's would be nice if AMD had all of those too).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:

A few reasons I can think of:

1. PS4K Neo is releasing a year earlier than Xbox Scorpio. Because costs go down over time, a full Polaris 10 chip will be cheaper for MS next year than it would be for Neo this year. Sony likely wants to hit $400 for Neo, so they ordered a cut-down Polaris 10 chip instead of the full chip.

2. If the rumors are true, Neo is using an overclocked version of the PS4 CPU, likely for compatibility reasons. The CPU will likely be a bit of bottleneck for Neo, so a full Polaris 10 chip would be overkill anyway, better to buy a cheaper cut down Polaris 10 chip. 

Also, we're still not sure than Neo is using Polaris 10, it could be using an older GPU from the Rx 200 or Rx300 lines for all we know, though the rumored specs for the Neo match no known AMD chip, which is what lead to the Polaris speculation to begin with.

Thanks, those reasons make a lot of sense. It's still a bit strange that Sony would so readily give up the power advantage between their systems. You'd think that since they have a very similar relationship to AMD that they would realize MS would just bump up to the greater card. I do wonder, though, if both systems are going to be hampered by the market conditions. Not only will the need for compatibililty between the XB1 and the base PS4 come into account, but so will the public's limited hardware. While the Scorpio will be capable of greater resolutions than the Neo, the fact is that most of the public's TVs are capped at 1080p (4k adoption is decent, but it's going to take a while to reach the mainstream), which means most of the difference between the two would come down to graphical effects and features such as anti-aliasing. 

Go AMD!

Around the Network

Over 5 TFOPS for $199!

$200 for a high end card is a great price imo. I don't know if I'll get it though.

That's it? Kinda underwhelming :-/ nVidia had much more fire in its conference. Can't say I'm pumped about the RX 480. They should compare it to their previous cards and most importantly show how well a single card performs.

To me this card is a good sign, but I think I'm gonna wait and see what RX 490 brings to the table. I plan to spend around $300-350 on GPU, so I hope they enter that level soon.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

shikamaru317 said:

Ashes of Singularity

GTX 1080- 58.7 fps- $700
Dual RX 480- 62.5 fps- less than $500

Isn't that with DX 12 support though?, which likely means only Win 10 perf gains. I'd love to see the differences with Vulkan, if the devs will even bother with that API. Also do we know how that dual setup performs with all the other games from the past 2 years?. I'd hate to buy into a dual setup and then find it runs badly with the majority of the latest games and recent ones and DX 12 is a no go for me to make up for what they might not be able to output with. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Now I wait for reviews and benchmarks of the 480.