By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are we one year removed from a small horde of new Nintendo titles?

How many unannounced titles are coming in the next year with the Nx launch?

A lot 13 13.98%

A good number of games 27 29.03%

a few new games, a few ports 26 27.96%

port-heavy launch with a couple new titles 11 11.83%

few unexpected titles at all 7 7.53%

The Nx is really just a ... 9 9.68%

Total:93
t3mporary_126 said:
Depends how much titles Nintendo can make by delaying the NX for 4 months.

I'm sure Nintendo have moved all their projects that were going to the WiiU to the NX, and then started making NX games. How many studios of theirs have not released anything since their last WiiU/3DS title?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I would not put your hopes up. We have been thorugh this more than once 

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube.  (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata.  He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum.”

Source

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source

Nintendo having droughts is nothing new. They were on the gamecube and N64. So this drought has been going on for like 20 years on and more if you want to include the SNES. So no, I do not think there is a bunch of hidden games coming next year. I believe that the only thing the delay did for the NX was making a barren desert look like it might have some life. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Kimishima was sure to reiterate that NX was to have a lineup that would be in continuous momentum. So, I would think there's a lot of content coming on NX from Nintendo. Give or take, only 2 true next gen titles from Nintendo EAD now NPD, we got Mario Kart 8: A true next gen Mario Kart and Smash Bros. I don't count 3D World (Glorified 3D Land), A Zelda game that isn't even getting a solo release on the console it was made for, a souped up 2D Mario, A cruddy Animal Crossing party game, Paper Mario Color Rash, Mario Tennis Ultra, OKAY, I forgot about Pikmin 3 and Yoshi, so there's 4 true next gen Wii U games. We've got Star Fox Zero...*cough*, Kirby Rainbow Curse thing, Game and Wario... need I go on.

These titles aren't Nintendo's best work and I believe their focus shifted to NX late 2014 to mid 2015 so projects that were intended for Wii have been pushed to NX with a bit of polish. We don't even know the state of Color Rash at this point. It's most likely a budget title for the holiday. And 3DS will most likely take the reigns and try to pull Nintendo through. I believe NX will be covered for at least a year. A year of solid consistent content. As long as 3rd parties aren't disgusted by it.

killeryoshis said:

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata.  He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum.”

Source

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source

Nintendo having droughts is nothing new. They were on the gamecube and N64. So this drought has been going on for like 20 years on and more if you want to include the SNES. So no, I do not think there is a bunch of hidden games coming next year. I believe that the only thing the delay did for the NX was making a barren desert look like it might have some life. 

Difference is that in each of aforementioned instances, Nintendo was putting out software to more than one platform: a console and a handheld. NX is only one as far as we know.

killeryoshis said:

Source

Source

The Wii actually did avoid droughts atleast until the tail-end of it's life, so they were truthful once, and they could very well be again as unlike any of their previous systems the NX should have a unified library.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

Kimishima was sure to reiterate that NX was to have a lineup that would be in continuous momentum. So, I would think there's a lot of content coming on NX from Nintendo. Give or take, only 2 true next gen titles from Nintendo EAD now NPD, we got Mario Kart 8: A true next gen Mario Kart and Smash Bros. I don't count 3D World (Glorified 3D Land), A Zelda game that isn't even getting a solo release on the console it was made for, a souped up 2D Mario, A cruddy Animal Crossing party game, Paper Mario Color Rash, Mario Tennis Ultra, OKAY, I forgot about Pikmin 3 and Yoshi, so there's 4 true next gen Wii U games. We've got Star Fox Zero...*cough*, Kirby Rainbow Curse thing, Game and Wario... need I go on.

These titles aren't Nintendo's best work and I believe their focus shifted to NX late 2014 to mid 2015 so projects that were intended for Wii have been pushed to NX with a bit of polish. We don't even know the state of Color Rash at this point. It's most likely a budget title for the holiday. And 3DS will most likely take the reigns and try to pull Nintendo through. I believe NX will be covered for at least a year. A year of solid consistent content. As long as 3rd parties aren't disgusted by it.

Woah. Never thought in that. Jesus, and people say Wii U was better than Wii...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I'd just be happy if they supported it like the Wii. Seemed like they just dumped a ton of classic and new IPs out on the Wii. I didn't even truly realize how much they supported it until now. Sure the end of the Wii wasn't good support but they hit their stride at start and middle. They had a very good mix of almost all the gaming genres.

There was about 3-4 games released every week or so on the VC and there was a good amount of systems and third party games on Wii VC. Perhaps the Wii U eshop VC support is weak because the NX won't allow games to be transferred to the new systems like Sony and Microsoft did. Oh well... I can always fire up Wii mode if needed.

I see potential with an unified eshop and game library.  Just have to wait and see if they deliver.

According to Emily, it will be more than just a small horde.

KLAMarine said:
killeryoshis said:

-snip-

Difference is that in each of aforementioned instances, Nintendo was putting out software to more than one platform: a console and a handheld. NX is only one as far as we know.

Maybe tha could be the case.  We will not know for sure until March. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
killeryoshis said:

-snip-

The Wii actually did avoid droughts atleast until the tail-end of it's life, so they were truthful once, and they could very well be again as unlike any of their previous systems the NX should have a unified library

You are partially right. The drought started at around 2008. 3rd parites started to fill the gap a little after that. However I am not sure if people would include that in the drought or not. If you do then the drought starts at 2010 instead which is the 2nd half of the Wii's life. Nintendo did good in 2007 but after that not so much. 

In 2007 Nintendo released 12 titles. 
In 2008 it was 4. 
In 2009 it was 5 
In 2010 it was 10
In 2011 it was 6
In 2012 it was 5 (two were ports kinda)

Source 
Honestly they only got like two good years in terms of numbers. Anyway I remeber the drought in 2008,2009,2011 and 2012. They had more bad years than good years. So the wii at times did avoid the drought but not for most of its life. 3rd parties did good from 2009 to 2010 from what I remeber but nothing ground breaking.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

sethnintendo said:

I'd just be happy if they supported it like the Wii. Seemed like they just dumped a ton of classic and new IPs out on the Wii. I didn't even truly realize how much they supported it until now. Sure the end of the Wii wasn't good support but they hit their stride at start and middle. They had a very good mix of almost all the gaming genres.

There was about 3-4 games released every week or so on the VC and there was a good amount of systems and third party games on Wii VC. Perhaps the Wii U eshop VC support is weak because the NX won't allow games to be transferred to the new systems like Sony and Microsoft did. Oh well... I can always fire up Wii mode if needed.

I see potential with an unified eshop and game library.  Just have to wait and see if they deliver.

It was their best system since the SNES. What did you except?