By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is there a bias against MP only games?

Aquamarine said:

Because once their servers go dead they're little more than fancy coasters.

Take for example, MAG, the multiplayer-only, PS3-exclusive developed by Zipper Interactive / SCEA.

It only had a lifespan from January 2010 - January 2014. Now you are literally unable to play it.

Why the hell would I want to have games in my collection that act as ticking time bombs subject to the whims of the developers?

I want to take control of MY game. I want to own MY game. I want to play MY GAME 20 years from now. Shutting down the game the instant it becomes unprofitable? Hell no!

That's why I like games with single-player components...so there's something left after the community dies out.

Sadly all games from last gen and onwards are ticking time bombs with patches required to make them work correctly lol.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Chazore said:

It's like MP games cannot exist on their own legs the way an SP game is allowed to each time by default. 

They probably would. As long as there's a lot of content in the MP mode. AKA Cutscense, tons of MP modes: King of the hill, team death match, death match, capture the flag, co-op missions, time trials. Full character customization. Which would make the game worth it for $60 instantly. If I could have body system, like sims. And clothing system like Skyrim. I think that would be the correct way to expect $60 worth mp only. And get the least amount of compaints. I would like to see the characters back story, in Overwatch. Somehow. At least the hero info is readable, in game. No mess up like Destiny.

Hopefully the game does a Splatoon. The thing is. If Blizzard is coming with some great stuff later. Keeping silent is not helping people. Overwatch isn't perfect. But at the same time. It doesn't warrent full hate. Because TF2, even after all this time. The characters have nothing to them. While this game has done a lot of stuff towards 20.

Most of the time with MP games has the majority of it's play at least 3 modes with the core game modes being TDM, DM and Capture point, With Overwatch and TF2 we have Payload.

I'm not sure about cutscenes, too many ends up cutting into the actual gameplay itself or dragging it on like with Star Wars Battlefront and the AT-AT shooting down Rebel ships with the slow cutscene playing out for each loss/victory.

Most MP games these days tend to feature unique customisation one way or another via skins, insignias, colours, clothing, weapon loadouts etc.

The SIm/Skyrim approach isn't really meant for absolutely every MP game in existence though, to expect that for literally every MP game is like doing away with MP games in general and what unique elements they could offer, not to mention that design would easily clash with games that don't adhere to size/body changes, imagine Titanfall where I make a really tall fat character and then he meshes into the cockpit and ends up sticking out like a sore thumb. Now I could imagine you saying "well adhere to that design", but the fact is that would require more work to make sure every body shape and size fitting absolutely everything in the game and noit all devs want to go with that idea and I can't really blame them as it's not something that fits with everything. Also we don't complain about that system lacking in games with featured characters who have already been designed for you to play as.

With a completely made up average joe character, I honestly cannot imagine there being any worthwhile backstory to make up, even for an MP only game where it's not about any sort of story and you are going to fight against other players or co-op against AI. DOOM's SP campaign is so simple for a backstory but the majority play the game for the gameplay and slaughtering Demons, not figuring out the age old history behind the yellow and blue keycards or average worker #56 who's corpse you just removed from the desk to hit a switch. With Star Wars Battlefront we are Rebels vs Stormtroopers in modes that involve destroying two AT-AT's, there is no story behind that, nor is there one needed because we know why we have to kill them and that's without backstory since everyone on the battlefield is no one special besides the one time heroes someone can play as. 

TF2 actually has a lot going for it if you went back tor ead the lore behind the characters, watch their intros and learn about who they are through the comics, why the mercs Red vs Blu right against one another and why Saxton Hale does what he does, all while Gray plots to end his two estranged brothers in order to take what he wanted from them and the Australium. All that from an MP only game and that was Valve dishing out comics/movies over the years along with the intro vids containing little nods and secrets for fans to figure out, the same is already in motion for Overwatch abd Blizz clearly is taking notes from Valve on how to present and layout their game to their audience.

No game is ever perfect tbh, just like nothing in life is and how we are a flawed species. You say something is perfect and I could easily disagree.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
archer9234 said:

They probably would. As long as there's a lot of content in the MP mode. AKA Cutscense, tons of MP modes: King of the hill, team death match, death match, capture the flag, co-op missions, time trials. Full character customization. Which would make the game worth it for $60 instantly. If I could have body system, like sims. And clothing system like Skyrim. I think that would be the correct way to expect $60 worth mp only. And get the least amount of compaints. I would like to see the characters back story, in Overwatch. Somehow. At least the hero info is readable, in game. No mess up like Destiny.

Hopefully the game does a Splatoon. The thing is. If Blizzard is coming with some great stuff later. Keeping silent is not helping people. Overwatch isn't perfect. But at the same time. It doesn't warrent full hate. Because TF2, even after all this time. The characters have nothing to them. While this game has done a lot of stuff towards 20.

The SIm/Skyrim approach isn't really meant for absolutely every MP game in existence though, to expect that for literally every MP game is like doing away with MP games in general and what unique elements they could offer, not to mention that design would easily clash with games that don't adhere to size/body changes, imagine Titanfall where I make a really tall fat character and then he meshes into the cockpit and ends up sticking out like a sore thumb. Now I could imagine you saying "well adhere to that design", but the fact is that would require more work to make sure every body shape and size fitting absolutely everything in the game and noit all devs want to go with that idea and I can't really blame them as it's not something that fits with everything. Also we don't complain about that system lacking in games with featured characters who have already been designed for you to play as.

In Titanfall's case. The exterior mech model, auto scales characters down. As they jump in. To fake it. For interior shots. They can have seats that are bigger/smaller, and can be positioned further back, or closer . To accomidate tall or fat characters. For clothing etc. It's a game that is missing SP. You have the time to work on the characters model issues, now. The cockpits default designs and size are premade to acomitdate a person, if made max fat and max height. That's the easiest way to deal with that.

Because the servers are gonna shut down at some point and we won't be able to play games we bought for 60$ anymore (Online multiplayer games)

multiplayer often give more playtime as singleplayer so it should be ok, even at full priece.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

In Titanfall's case. The exterior mech model, auto scales characters down. As they jump in. To fake it. For interior shots. They can have seats that are bigger/smaller, and can be positioned further back, or closer . To accomidate tall or fat characters. For clothing etc. It's a game that is missing SP. You have the time to work on the characters model issues, now. The cockpits default designs and size are premade to acomitdate a person, if made max fat and max height. That's the easiest way to deal with that.

You're still asking for a design change that not every SP even follow and it's always down to time, money, optimization and fitting their overall vision. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"