By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Take-Two Dismisses EA Bid, Exploring Merger

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9712&Itemid=59

By Tom Ivan

The board of directors of Take-Two has dismissed EA’s tender offer to acquire the publisher as “inadequate in multiple respects”, but announced that it is planning to explore alternatives that may include a merger with third parties including EA. 

The board rejected EA’s offer of $26.00 per share in cash as being not in the best interests of stockholders, and recommended that stockholders not tender any of their shares to EA. It also confirmed that “it will explore alternatives to maximize value for stockholders, which may include a business combination with third parties or with EA, remaining independent, or other strategic or financial alternatives that could deliver higher stockholder value than the current EA offer.”

The board reiterated that it has received indications of interest from third parties with respect to possible business combinations since EA’s bid, but that no substantive discussions have yet taken place. It also said it was not willing to enter into a strategic business combination prior to the April 29 release of Grand Theft Auto IV.

“To facilitate its efforts to explore alternatives to maximize stockholder value, the company has begun to assemble the materials necessary for interested parties to conduct due diligence," Take-Two said in a statement. "Prior to the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, the company is willing to enter into confidentiality agreements on customary terms and to engage in preliminary conversations with interested parties, including EA.”

Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick said, “Our Board, after careful review, has unanimously determined that Electronic Arts’ offer continues to provide insufficient value and remains opportunistically timed to capture the value of the upcoming Grand Theft Auto IV launch at the expense of our stockholders.

“Our stockholders’ interests would hardly be served by accepting an offer from EA at the wrong price and the wrong time. As a result, the board recommends that stockholders not tender any of their shares to EA.”

Take-Two also announced that its board of directors has adopted, in response to EA’s unsolicited tender offer, a Stockholders Rights Agreement to protect stockholders against, among other things, unsolicited attempts to acquire control of the company at an inadequate price.

"The board of directors has committed to redeem the rights distributed pursuant to the Rights Agreement 180 days after adoption of the Agreement.

“Under the Stockholders Rights Agreement, the rights will become exercisable if a person becomes an "acquiring person" by acquiring 20% or more of the common stock of Take-Two or if a person commences a tender offer that could result in that person owning 20% or more of the common stock of Take-Two. The Stockholders Rights Agreement will not apply to existing stockholders who own 20% or more of Take-Two’s existing common stock, unless and until they acquire an additional 2% of Take-Two’s outstanding common stock.”

Zelnick commented, “We have adopted this short-term Stockholders Rights Agreement in order to guard against a takeover by EA at the current, inadequate price. We believe the Rights Agreement will ensure that the Take-Two Board has adequate time to consider all strategic alternatives for maximizing value for Take-Two stockholders. The Agreement will not, and is not intended to, prevent a takeover of the company on terms that are fair to and in the best interests of all stockholders.”

Around the Network

Just saw this on GS, seems like they're waiting for GTA IV effect.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Dear MS (Part 2)

Do what you do best... buy software developers...

Go MS Go!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

EA seemed pretty strong about their desire of completing this purchase before GTA4 launched. Depending on what the shareholders do, EA may increase the value of their bid.

I've seen some financial experts saying that many of Take Two's shareholders are now financial speculators (after some big T2 shareholders dumped most of their stock), so they may try to squeeze a few more dollars out of EA, and ignore what T2's board said about mergers and so on.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The thing is that the board of directors have rejected the offer, as a result of the report that they just handed to the shareholders.

The final decision will come from the shareholders.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/YUK04.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0"

Around the Network

I think Microsoft and Nintendo could both make great use of T2. However I doubt either will step forward, because they haven't stepped forward before. I think it is too late in this generations cycle for either of those players to get serious. Effectively the greatest rewards to be gained are gone. Nintendo could have gotten itself a Grand Theft Auto and the same is true for Microsoft. That was obviously not enough for either.

Dodece said:
I think Microsoft and Nintendo could both make great use of T2. However I doubt either will step forward, because they haven't stepped forward before. I think it is too late in this generations cycle for either of those players to get serious. Effectively the greatest rewards to be gained are gone. Nintendo could have gotten itself a Grand Theft Auto and the same is true for Microsoft. That was obviously not enough for either.

I don't think Nintendo wants Take Two.. It would be a lot of controversial games under the family friendly console.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Phil Harrison's next move. Atari merges with T2. :P

@elnino: How did you get the article in it's own separate section like that?

@makingmusic476
Is a trick that doesn't always work so tough to really say how to do it. So far I can able to do it about 50% of the time. I been trying to get the hang of it so I can do it 75% higher or more.

Quite a good trick.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.