By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Rousseff impeachment. Any Brazilians over here?

She had to be taken down

People here were stupid enough to vote for an assassin for president

Around the Network

If you want to know something about Brasil in your language, see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c019ozEzAgM

It's an interview with the most important brazilian philosopher

What i'd like to know is... the olympic games are in brazil this year right? Are those getting canceled or something?

I kinda knew this wasn't gonna end well. Knowing what the euro2004 did to Portugal, i knew there were going to be dire consequences for Brazil with not only the World cup but the olympic games.

I just didnt expect it to blow up this soon.

Nautilus said:
Its a rather complicated situation.If you dont follow the story from the beginning and dont have some backstory in the situation on the country, its easy to get lost.Ill try to explain as best as I can, but its better if someone else who has a better understanding of the situation than me comes to explain it better.

The impeachment is happening now because evidences have been found of the president(Dilma Vana Rouseff) involvement in mismanagement of her dutys.I dont know the full extension of the charges, but the main charge against her is for the "pedaladas fiscais", which is considered a crime in the country.And even though there has also been found evidences of corruption, it is not within the charge itself because they were found later, after the first charges were brought.

What are "pedaladas fiscais"?Well, to put in simpler terms, are when the government try to hide its expenses from appearing, by not showing how much they spent to the banks and to the country.Since im not economist, Im not the best one to explain this,since even I dont understand it fully but ill try.Lets say the government spend 1000 dollars with expenses in January.That money needs to be passed along to the banks, either public or private.But in an attempt to make the government look better in the market and have better economic indicators, they withhold the money and just send, for example, 100 dollars to the bank, even though they spend 1000 dollars.This way, since the money never left the federal government, the expenses never show in the end, making the brazillian economy look better than it should.In simpler terms, its a way to disguise the actual economic scenario of the country.

Michel Temer is the vice president of the country(now president for at least 6 months), Renan Calheiros is the president of the brazillian senate and the Waldir is an deputy that got his 15 minutes of fame when he tried to cancel the impeachment and failed miserably.Since they are all politicians, they all have an part on the impeachment for obvious reasons.If you want to know more than that, you would need to know more about the politics in Brazil.

As to where this is heading, nobody truly knows.Again, if you want a better insight into this, you really need to study the background of the country and all the years of history that lead into this.There are others things in play, such as the deep corruption of the political system,and the hate people from Brazil(in general) feel towards the political party of Dilma, since it is atributed to them many of the disgraces that they have now on the country, due to several reasons that spans many years and even I dont fully know all of them.Its a complicated mess.

Events such as this(and the 2008 economic crisis in the US) are hard to fully understand while they're happening. After a generation or two, many people will have a better understanding of the issue and its impact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I'd like to thank mai for creating this thread, and the many people who posted thoughtfully on this issue. I found the CNN link particularly helpful. For all the mockery they bring down on themselves for simulating plane crashes in their Holographic TerrorDome, they are still able to do very good reporting when they want to.

It sounds to me like Brazil is on the verge of seizing power from a slightly-corrupt president and handing it over to a convicted very-corrupt vice president, possibly for the purpose of trying to foil dozens of ongoing corruption investigations. It will be bad news for Brazil if this happens, even if it doesn't weaken the strength of the entire republic (against future dictatorships taking power).

The USA has a lot of problems with its politicians, and in some way they will probably prove even harder to root out than this style of blatant corruption because of how insidious it is. But on the other hand, this type of stuff is completely out of the question here.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
I'd like to thank mai for creating this thread, and the many people who posted thoughtfully on this issue. I found the CNN link particularly helpful. For all the mockery they bring down on themselves for simulating plane crashes in their Holographic TerrorDome, they are still able to do very good reporting when they want to.

It sounds to me like Brazil is on the verge of seizing power from a slightly-corrupt president and handing it over to a convicted very-corrupt vice president, possibly for the purpose of trying to foil dozens of ongoing corruption investigations. It will be bad news for Brazil if this happens, even if it doesn't weaken the strength of the entire republic (against future dictatorships taking power).

The USA has a lot of problems with its politicians, and in some way they will probably prove even harder to root out than this style of blatant corruption because of how insidious it is. But on the other hand, this type of stuff is completely out of the question here.

It is the opposite. Vice president does not have a formal accusation (just suspects him a lot) and the president has 7 formal charges filed by the OAB(Order of Attorneys of Brazil), including that she tried to obstruct justice and ongoing corruption investigations. NYT and CNN do not help much

Strato said:
Final-Fan said:

It is the opposite. Vice president does not have a formal accusation (just suspects him a lot) and the president has 7 formal charges filed by the OAB(Order of Attorneys of Brazil), including that she tried to obstruct justice and ongoing corruption investigations. NYT and CNN do not help much

A few minutes of Google shows that they are all under investigation for various activities.  The fact that charges have been filed against Roussef hardly proves that she is any more guilty than the others.  For instance, I would be surprised if the senate fails to impeach Renan Calheiros on the charges standing against him there now that they must decide by open ballot instead of the secret ballot that let him off the hook on the first charge.  (The rules change being directly motivated by massive outrage that he was let off the hook.) 

It's a big mess and I sympathize with those of you who are just wishing for honest leadership.  But if this current impeachment is motivated by those who want the Lava Jato - Car Wash investigation (which Rousseff is cooperating with) to end, it will cause a lot more problems than it solves.  Be vigilant! 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

SubiyaCryolite said:
Im not a Brazillian myuself but I heard the IMF could get involved. If so they'd better be careful because the IMF rarely has the interests of the native population at heart. Im not sure how much of Brazils assets are nationalized but if significant entities exist chances are they'll come after them like pack of rabid dogs through glorious "privatization". Just look at the IMFs history throughout Africa, The Middle East and South America. Its shady to say the least.

That'd be my thoughts as well.

Regardless of smoke-and-mirrors that seves as an excuse for these political perturbations, when I researched the subject it seemed very fishy to me. Though I don't know much about politics in Brazil, what I do know is that today at the peak of global deflation, when assets are cheep (I mean real assets, not overpriced corporate crap of some gizmo production but some valuable assets: energy, food, minerals, roads, infrastructure etc.), it's such a good chance for a massive sell out. And that's what in fact is happening around the globe. I'm not exactly sure why Brazilians, or whoever, should be paying for these deadbeats.

If I were Brazilian, I'd be looking through the media for whatever new faces in the government have to say. The word "privatization" should be one huge red flag.

Nautilus said:

What are "pedaladas fiscais"?Well, to put in simpler terms, are when the government try to hide its expenses from appearing, by not showing how much they spent to the banks and to the country.Since im not economist, Im not the best one to explain this,since even I dont understand it fully but ill try.Lets say the government spend 1000 dollars with expenses in January.That money needs to be passed along to the banks, either public or private.But in an attempt to make the government look better in the market and have better economic indicators, they withhold the money and just send, for example, 100 dollars to the bank, even though they spend 1000 dollars.This way, since the money never left the federal government, the expenses never show in the end, making the brazillian economy look better than it should.In simpler terms, its a way to disguise the actual economic scenario of the country.

Thanks for detailed explanation. So government has been forging their fiscal reports. Basically what everyone is doing these days, be it governments or private sector just to look good, at least within the boundaries of the law, unless proved otherwise.

Nautilus said:
Michel Temer is the vice president of the country(now president for at least 6 months), Renan Calheiros is the president of the brazillian senate and the Waldir is an deputy that got his 15 minutes of fame when he tried to cancel the impeachment and failed miserably.Since they are all politicians, they all have an part on the impeachment for obvious reasons.If you want to know more than that, you would need to know more about the politics in Brazil.

As to where this is heading, nobody truly knows.Again, if you want a better insight into this, you really need to study the background of the country and all the years of history that lead into this.There are others things in play, such as the deep corruption of the political system,and the hate people from Brazil(in general) feel towards the political party of Dilma, since it is atributed to them many of the disgraces that they have now on the country, due to several reasons that spans many years and even I dont fully know all of them.Its a complicated mess.

Ok, I got it about Dilma. Are there any policy-making speeches, sort of current state of the union that have been made by Temer or whoever from his supporters? Are there any new trends and topics in the media?

taikamya said:
phelipefabres said:
It's just a way of the people that was defeated in the last election to get the control of the country again. In Brazil, they stopped the country so the people started to lose jobs, the inflaction is goin up and all these men that you cited above are beneficiary of something. So, it's a coup

I'm brazilian and a I second this.

Democracy Now - https://youtu.be/N1csqcTvU9Y (On the situation)

The Young Turkshttps://youtu.be/GZ2cOLXByq8 (On the situation)

RThttps://youtu.be/iX28UR7Y9QM (on Temer and the WikiLeaks info)

CNN https://youtu.be/FMb9TLyCgU8 (TV Globo, Brazil's biggest media, banned this video from regular TV, can only be accessed through internet)

Interesting, thanks. Those videos are rather supportive of Rousseff, at least when it comes to the whole coup topic, not her presidency. I could see the guy, Glenn Greenwald of CNN, has appeared twice in those videos. Even CNN has the same stance, I wonder why. And yet the comments, if made by Brazilians, are very much anti-Rousseff, though comments on YT are hardly a statistically-correct observation.

If we forget about Rousseff (un-)popularity, do you think when it comes to the impeachment only public opinion would be pro-, anti-Rousseff, or more or less equally split? I mean how'd people reply to "Was it a coup or impeachment has followed legal procedures"?