By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - In which country is it easiest to get rich?

I just saw this TEDx Talk (TED is absolutely great BTW!) and I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. Here you go folks!

If my attempt at embedding the video didn't work, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UmdY0E8hU

Around the Network

America. Just find anything to sue about.

Ka-pi96 said:
V-r0cK said:
America. Just find anything to sue about.

It's funny because it's true.

Latest lawsuit is a woman suing Starbucks for putting too much ice in her drink >.>

I have to say USA.

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)

kyokusanagi said:
I have to say USA.

But what is your reasoning? Not saying you are wrong, just trying to get the discussion going

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
V-r0cK said:

Latest lawsuit is a woman suing Starbucks for putting too much ice in her drink >.>

:o for real?

Bet it's for a million or two as well

It's for $5 million! xD

BasilZero said:
In the land of bacon and cheeseburgers.

'murica

Based on what?

He stated that free education (I assume he's referring to higher education, ie, university) is one of the primary reasons, but didn't provide causation, only correlation.

He also excluded what he called "tax havens". Switzerland and Hong Kong. Which I find to be amusing, these countries aren't "tax havens" they're "free market economies". Moreso than the United States. Hong Kong has the freest market in the world. The fact that they have lower taxes is part of what MAKES them free market economies.

I don't know about Switzerland, but in Hong Kong (where I'm currently living) all banks have to be fully compliant with CRS and FATCA, so coming here to "avoid" your own country's tax would be a mistake. Hong Kong also happens to have the highest concentration of millionaires in the world.

It should also be noted that many free-market economists would say that it is easier to get "richer" in big Government countries than small Government countries. At least by the measure of having $30m+ usd. Simply because Government regulations make it harder for small businesses to compete with larger businesses, thus you end up with the larger companies making even more money than they otherwise would.

Take an example he used in this very presentation, the checkout machine. You know how much they cost? $35,000 each, plus additional fees that take the total over $40,000 (and that's before tax) A marginal cost for a large supermarket chain, or enough to put a small shop out of business.

Teeqoz said:
kyokusanagi said:
I have to say USA.

But what is your reasoning? Not saying you are wrong, just to get the discussion going

Is easy to sue for anything from getting injure to a cup a coffee is just crazy.

I think a wowen just won 55 millions for getting ovarian cancer for using a kids powder all her life.

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)

kyokusanagi said:
Teeqoz said:

But what is your reasoning? Not saying you are wrong, just to get the discussion going

Is easy to sue for anything from getting injure to a cup a coffee is just crazy.

I think a wowen just won 55 millions for getting ovarian cancer for using a kids powder all her life.

Easy? How many people do actually get rich from a lawsuit in the US? There might be some stories that get blown up by sensationalist media, but I really really really doubt sueing someone is an effective way to get rich, not in the US, and pretty much regardless of where you live.