By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR hands on impressions! (Pax East)

mornelithe said:
Awesome, sounds great, I'll be curious to see if the lower res is a product of games, or if it translates to actual blu ray play as well (as in movies). Part of my interest in the headset has been for a display alternative to monitor/TV for movies/TV shows etc...

Really hope the Gamestop in my area gets a kiosk in, would love to try it out for myself. Thanks for the info, Norm!

Well, the low res comes from the screen itself and it being so close to the user. I would imagine a Blu Ray would still be fairly low res because it has 1920 X 1080p to work with, but only a portion of that will be used to show the movie on a screen.

It would still proably look okay, but it won't be a 1:1 replacement for a monitor or TV.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Normchacho said:

Sadly, I didn't get to try the theater mode and I don't even think they had it set up at all.

Thumper just uses a DS4. Actually, when the guy went to hand me the controller I could actually see the controller in the game. Which I thought was cool. Honestly I think that as long as you aren't supposed to be just a normal human in a first person game, there would be no reason why you can't use a controller in a VR game.

Thanks for your response! Also glad to know you didnt get nauseous, rare cases that happens to me when playing games under certain light conditions.

Yeah, though to be honest. I rarely get motion sick. Some people are pretty sensitive to that sort of thing, I'm not.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Lafiel said:
V-r0cK said:
I heard great impressions about Thumper and glad you felt the same.

I know this somewhat defeats the purpose but do you think PSVR games can be used with just the DS4 controller?

Was there any setups that let you use PSVR and watching videos or non-VR games?

the DS4 will probably be the main input device for most PSVR games and afaik I even read Sony mandates DS4 control-schemes to be added to every PSVR game, however that one might have been from the rumor-mill and not officially confirmed information

I don't think so...because there are games like Golem and London Hiest that seem to rely on motion controls.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

mornelithe said:
Awesome, sounds great, I'll be curious to see if the lower res is a product of games, or if it translates to actual blu ray play as well (as in movies). Part of my interest in the headset has been for a display alternative to monitor/TV for movies/TV shows etc...

Really hope the Gamestop in my area gets a kiosk in, would love to try it out for myself. Thanks for the info, Norm!

I would direct you to mobile phone VR.  Video can be played in Cinema Mode in decent resolution but the phones don't have the power to do high res AAA VR games.  For the PSVR, video should look fine but games will have to have appropiate resolutions to compensate for the power of the PS4.  Also, games in cinema mode flat games will probably only be 720p as it seems to be a limitation of the processor that streams video. So blowing up the content to 200ft screens will have drawbacks. 

Saw the Thumper trailer a while ago. Didn't think it would be playable in VR. Nice to hear a positive first hand impression.

Never been interested in rythym games, but there is something about that beetle...

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
V-r0cK said:

Thanks for your response! Also glad to know you didnt get nauseous, rare cases that happens to me when playing games under certain light conditions.

Yeah, though to be honest. I rarely get motion sick. Some people are pretty sensitive to that sort of thing, I'm not.

My friend felt sick after trying the PS VR. I'm glad I didn't. The headset looks pretty cool, and it's really confortable. However I'm not sure if I should buy or not. My biggest concern is that I don't know for how long Sony intends to support the thing. Playstation Move and PS Vita set a bad precedent. 

danielrdp said:
Normchacho said:

My friend felt sick after trying the PS VR. I'm glad I didn't. The headset looks pretty cool, and it's really confortable. However I'm not sure if I should buy or not. My biggest concern is that I don't know for how long Sony intends to support the thing. Playstation Move and PS Vita set a bad precedent. 

I mean, there are currently a lot of games on the way for it. Plus, it's not the only Vr headset, so it's not like a game that's made for it only has it's userbase to rely on. But I do understand your concerns.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Should work great with my PS4k.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Did you notice the resolution difference between the center and the edges?
I'm curious how the optics distribute the screen over your fov. More pixels in the center is good for a theater mode (although still low but not as low as 384x432 if it would be linear and projecting a 40 degree fov theater screen)

And I'm assuming it ran on a ps4, not a NEO dev kit :)