By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero Review Thread: MC: 69 / GR: 68.84%

Volterra_90 said:

EDIT: Oh, and that Polygon not-review?? The guy is supposed to be a professional reviewer, what the hell is that "it's so bad that I won't play it"? First world problems I guess. What a jerk.

What's that even supposed to mean in this context? A reviewer who dislikes a game so much that they decide not to review it? Sure, I think reviewers who hate what they're playing/watching are needed in order to ensure all views are represented among critics, but I can toally get why from time to time a reviewer will just say, "Fuck it, I've reviewed enough shit over the last few months, I'm not going to do another one for a while. I'm going to play something I know I'll like." 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
pokoko said:

There were definitely a few comments that seemed to imply that the score of Star Fox is the fault of open world games being popular.  Reading back over it, it's pretty clear that some people were trying to construct that as a scapegoat.

As for the genre, just from skimming the reviews I can tell that Star Fox could have gotten a much better score if it had taken care of most of the more common criticisms.  What if it had more intuitive controls?  What if it had a lot more content and been more inventive?  It sounds like they could have made a better game, regardless of the genre, and it would have gotten better reviews.

Fair enough. But I do think the market for certain "old-school" game experiences is shrinking, and the appetite for open-world action games is growing. And reviewers are reflecting that popular consensus.

Perhaps it's more an unwillingness to pay AAA prices for every game that gets sold on a disc. Maybe Nintendo should have taken a page out of Insomniac's book and released the game at a sub-AAA price. Lots of people have been calling for more price variation in new release games. There's a market for these "on-rails" games, it's just not a AAA market.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

RolStoppable said:

I don't think length is a valid criticism when shoot'em ups which got good review scores commonly clocked in at one hour or less for the first playthrough. Such games quickly reach the point where less is more, because there are only so many enemy formations and patterns before things start to get repetitive and feel like padding. When it comes to value in shoot'em ups, it's really all about how replayable the content is.

Star Fox Zero has 12 main levels and 8 shorter ones. A playthrough goes through 8-12 levels. If the high score table in the arcade mode is complete, then there are 19 possible routes to play through the game, and the top 5 scores are saved for each individual route. While medals can be collected in arcade mode, story mode is a lot more suited for it because you can choose the individual levels once you've unlocked them. There are 70 medals and the objectives aren't always obvious. There is also a training mode with 9 stages; you can go for gold trophies there, but I don't think they will do anything and the stages aren't really interesting to play.

I have no idea if there is a hard mode to unlock. I guess it's possible if you collect all 70 medals, but that's going to take a while.

I mean, it's more about what you're willing to put into the game. Some people might feel that beating the 12 levels and unlocking the new ones is not enough to pay the price of the game. I know that it's enough for me because I'm going to get the medals and the trophies, and I'm going to unlock all the secret paths that's what I liked about SF64 (medal hunting), and I'm sure I'll put a lot of time into Zero. But some people might fell that it's not very compelling. So... I can understand it, though I don't share the criticism. The obvious thing to do would be to compare the game to similar games of the genre, and it's not short in content, but I don't expect some reviewers to do that. I understand that they might be dissapointed. Maybe "valid" was not the right word to use :P.

Have you played the game? I know that you can't possibly have all the 70 medals, but how do you feel about the controls? It's hard to get used to them? That's maybe what worries me the most. It looks like the game is fun, but it will take some time to be good at it. I've read your previous impression, but I want to know if in the end they've got better.

binary solo said:

What's that even supposed to mean in this context? A reviewer who dislikes a game so much that they decide not to review it? Sure, I think reviewers who hate what they're playing/watching are needed in order to ensure all views are represented among critics, but I can toally get why from time to time a reviewer will just say, "Fuck it, I've reviewed enough shit over the last few months, I'm not going to do another one for a while. I'm going to play something I know I'll like." 

That means that the guy is paid for doing his job. So do your job. It's not about hard and tiresome labour, one playthrough (just one) could have took him like 2 hours to complete. Is that too much to ask? So, this reviewer doesn't like the game? Fine. Complete the game, make your review, give your score and move on to your next job. But stopping in the middle of the game, saying "fuck this shit", and writing an article about it? I could get that in a 15/20 hours game, maybe. Not in a 2 hours game (which is not completion, just a playthrough).  It's a bit childish. Well, I guess we have different opinions about profesionalism. I'd be fired for doing that in my job. Worse thing is that he gets his article published. Which makes me think some clicks felt good for Polygon. I won't say more about it, because I don't want to derail the thread, but... I found this really shameful. 

Kinda sad to see the game scoring so low. I'm going to buy it anyway because I have a friend that's obsessed with anything that has to do with Star Fox and he really wants to play it.

I'll give it a try too, It can't be that bad.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Anfebious said:

I'll give it a try too, It can't be that bad.

What if...it turns out to be that bad?!

Volterra_90 said:
binary solo said:

That means that the guy is paid for doing his job. So do your job. It's not about hard and tiresome labour, one playthrough (just one) could have took him like 2 hours to complete. Is that too much to ask? So, this reviewer doesn't like the game? Fine. Complete the game, make your review, give your score and move on to your next job. But stopping in the middle of the game, saying "fuck this shit", and writing an article about it? I could get that in a 15/20 hours game, maybe. Not in a 2 hours game (which is not completion, just a playthrough).  It's a bit childish. Well, I guess we have different opinions about profesionalism. I'd be fired for doing that in my job. Worse thing is that he gets his article published. Which makes me think some clicks felt good for Polygon. I won't say more about it, because I don't want to derail the thread, but... I found this really shameful. 

But surely you would argue that a single play through of such a short game is inadequate as a basis for a fair review. And it's not like the reviewer isn't still playing games that he will review. He's not not doing his job. Not every reviewer reviews every game. He's choosing to not review this game, and instead review other games. which is a valid thing to do and a choice all critics make frequently. The only differnce here is that he's publicly stated that he's not going to review SFZ because he thinks it's a shit game. No reviewer in the history of gaming has the time or the motivation to review every game.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Fair enough. But I do think the market for certain "old-school" game experiences is shrinking, and the appetite for open-world action games is growing. And reviewers are reflecting that popular consensus.

Perhaps it's more an unwillingness to pay AAA prices for every game that gets sold on a disc. Maybe Nintendo should have taken a page out of Insomniac's book and released the game at a sub-AAA price. Lots of people have been calling for more price variation in new release games. There's a market for these "on-rails" games, it's just not a AAA market.

I guess it's all about what the market will bear. We'll have to see how popular it is with consumers at the $50 price point.

Darn! I was way too high. 

I took a quick look at Metacritic, and it seems like 64 and 64 3D both scored in the 80s...so this isn't really a severe drop. I was also one of the few people who really liked Assault, which scored even less than this game...so I guess this doesn't really dissuade me.

Not a game I plan to get Day 1, mind, but still something I plan to play at some point.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

binary solo said:
Volterra_90 said:

But surely you would argue that a single play through of such a short game is inadequate as a basis for a fair review. And it's not like the reviewer isn't still playing games that he will review. He's not not doing his job. Not every reviewer reviews every game. He's choosing to not review this game, and instead review other games. which is a valid thing to do and a choice all critics make frequently. The only differnce here is that he's publicly stated that he's not going to review SFZ because he thinks it's a shit game. No reviewer in the history of gaming has the time or the motivation to review every game.

I have to disagree with you binary. It's a totally petulant and amateurish move, and it reflects poorly on the author and on Polygon. If he doesn't want to review a game he can always pass it along to someone else on staff. By starting and not finishing (a two hour game, mind you) he does a disservice to the game, his readers, and his profession. As someone who's worked as a journalist in print and electronic media, I find his actions embarrassing.

If he was an amateur blogger he could get away with that garbage. A paid professional at Polygon? No way.