By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the PS4K is real, is now a better time than ever to build a gaming PC?

I've been thinking for a while now durng the 8th generation that PC was becoming more and more of a better option than consoles. I mean, think about it, basically all the multiplats (outside of a few fuck-ups such as Batman Arkham Knight, etc) will run significantly better on PC, there are less restrictions, and the PC platform has been growing significantly over the past few years. 

I own both a PS4 and a PC already. I bought my PS4 last November, and I absolutely love it. I also owned a PS2, PS3, and now PS4 so I love consoles as well and have had them for years. But the whole point of consoles is the simpleness of them. You know when you buy a console that you're set for the generation and don't have to worry about anything else such as specs, you just buy the game and put it in. 

So if the PS4K/PS4.5 rumors and info are true (which at this point seems likely considering how many sources are reporting on it), doesn't that completely defeat the purpose? The current PS4 will now just be seen as the "low-end" model while the new PS4K will be seen as the sort of "higher end" model. I know they'll still play the same games, but people wil be playing better versions of those games on higher-tier hardware almost exactly similar to how PC gaming works. With PC gaming people can have all types of PC's and play the same games, such as low,medium,high, etc. This is exactly the same.

Also I know people will mention how consoles will still have exclusives and that those are a huge point, and I agree. I need my PS4 still to play all those exclusives, and it will always be like that for console exclusives, but at the same time I also love playing games on my PC. I'm not saying that consoles are going to die now or to abandon them, i'm just simply saying I feel like building a gaming PC is a much more viable option now than ever before with this. Especially for those that have no care for exclusives, what's the point for them then? 

Also i've seen a lot of people online talking about how they're just going to switch to PC as well if this turns out to be true, so I know i'm not the only one thinking this. If it does turn out to be real though i'll still love my PS4, I just won't get a PS4.5 unless they have some sort of trade-in deal, and it better be a good one at that. 

Around the Network

That's for everyone to determine themselves ...

If anyone deems that it's worth all the trouble of building your own PC along with a higher fixed cost for higher end systems then by all means go for it ...

I think what will happend is games will be forwards and backwards compatible.
Basically your old PS4 will play PS5 games, but at like sub 720p resolutions, the PS4k at 1080p, and the PS5 at 4k.

If anything its going to prolong the usefullness of your console.
Its not going to kill it.

Its going to give options to those that want to run their games at higher settings.

In terms of Price/performance & ease of use, consoles will still lead.

stages of gamers
1) be angry and threaten to go to PC
2) waste some more time being angry
3) decide to stay with PS4 or accept the PS4K

It all depends on the games and people's preferences.

So in my case, there's never a better time to build a PC.

Around the Network

You're probably going to be told it's the worst time or something along the lines of "what's the point in gaming on a PC?". For me this marks the first gen where I haven't felt compelled to grab a system at launch let alone the near 3 years so far into the gen. I'm fine with my current setup, love the access to older titles let alone mods made for them both inside and out of Steam. The deals I grab on Steam, GoG, GMG have kept me checking back at least every 4 days to see what's going on sale.

I'd say go for it if you really feel like it's calling to you, don't let others discourage your own choice.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Or you can avoid the headache and buy a PS4K/XBO2/NX.

Some people don't want to go through the whole process of building a PC, and I don't think that will change just because of the PS4K.

Wait a few months, and the answer is; possibly. Depends on your taste in games (and size of your wallet).

There seems to be a misconception. I'm not asking whether I personally should get a PC or not, I was just speaking in general.

I already have a PC along with my PS4. I'll edit my post to add that in.