By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Blob said:
Kratos is popular? Never really met anyone who loved him that much..
I'm not fussed either way if they replace him or not. It's more about the set pieces fighting god's anyway, who's doing the fighting isnt really important to me

he gets cosplayed a lot...

Around the Network
larroche said:

Ballas said:

something PlayStation as a brand is lacking :P

and that's a bad thing? it means that sony actually cares to bring new interesting IPs (bloodborne, until dawn, wild, horizon, detroit, the last guardian, etc) and not just keep exploiting the same master chief and mario characters every time.

Sony has no strong IP's though. I think they are doing a decent job at experimenting with new IP but they sort of have to... they have no iconic characters. Ratchet/Clank / Jak Daxter belong to other companies

beyond God of War and like Gran Turismo there's not that much in terms of being well known

StreaK said:
Vodacixi said:
I only have one request for the new God of War: make boss fights epic and impressive again. GoW 3 bosses were incredibly lame and underwhelming.

Hell NO!!! What are you smoking???

I hate smoking.

Ballas said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Beyond Kratos's origin story he showed very little character development in all the games he was in, and imo his origin story was the only interesting thing about him.  After he got the big pay off from his origin story I have no desire to play as him anymore. 

Not really, trhe origin story wsa just the beginning of his journey and while he may not seem much different in his characterisation in the other games his story evolved into something much more complex and he got many more reasonsd to be angry upon the gods in subsequent games. He didn't ahve anything against Zeus in the first game, it was Zeus who cheated him in GOW II more than once, killing him and destroying Sparta, that fuelled his hatred towards Zeus. The other Gods Of Olympus stood in his way to extract revenge so he killed them too. He was a Spartan warrior so it was in his nature to kill anything that stood in his path to reach his destination.

Also, do you only play games with interesting protagonists? I never thought gameplay, level design and story were less important than the protagonist in a game, for me the protagonist is just a way to enjoy the gameplay and story in a game.

Who said all that stuff was less important?  The OP asked my opinion about if I'd rather play Kratos in GoW4 or another protagonist, so I answered, no where did I say interesting protagonist was more important than gameplay/level design/story.  Also I never said the story remained stagnent throughout the games, I said Kratos did. 

mountaindewslave said:
larroche said:

and that's a bad thing? it means that sony actually cares to bring new interesting IPs (bloodborne, until dawn, wild, horizon, detroit, the last guardian, etc) and not just keep exploiting the same master chief and mario characters every time.

Sony has no strong IP's though. I think they are doing a decent job at experimenting with new IP but they sort of have to... they have no iconic characters. Ratchet/Clank / Jak Daxter belong to other companies

beyond God of War and like Gran Turismo there's not that much in terms of being well known

That's not true at all. If you're talking about maskots, then you may have a point, but in terms of strong IPs they have plenty.

Around the Network
alabtrosMyster said:

They can do whatever they want, if the game is as good as the others in the series, people will get it... Why do people focus on only one aspect of something...

Agreed, the series is fantastic and people here are ignoring all the qualities of these games just because they dislike the protagonist.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Ballas said:

Not really, trhe origin story wsa just the beginning of his journey and while he may not seem much different in his characterisation in the other games his story evolved into something much more complex and he got many more reasonsd to be angry upon the gods in subsequent games. He didn't ahve anything against Zeus in the first game, it was Zeus who cheated him in GOW II more than once, killing him and destroying Sparta, that fuelled his hatred towards Zeus. The other Gods Of Olympus stood in his way to extract revenge so he killed them too. He was a Spartan warrior so it was in his nature to kill anything that stood in his path to reach his destination.

Also, do you only play games with interesting protagonists? I never thought gameplay, level design and story were less important than the protagonist in a game, for me the protagonist is just a way to enjoy the gameplay and story in a game.

Who said all that stuff was less important?  The OP asked my opinion about if I'd rather play Kratos in GoW4 or another protagonist, so I answered, no where did I say interesting protagonist was more important than gameplay/level design/story.  Also I never said the story remained stagnent throughout the games, I said Kratos did. 

Ok sorry I misinterpreted. Do you play God Of War games then despite disliking the protagonist?

naruball said:
mountaindewslave said:

That's not true at all. If you're talking about maskots, then you may have a point, but in terms of strong IPs they have plenty.

I think it depends on what standards you judge an IP's strength.

I would normally consider a strong IP as one which sells 4 million+ per installment, which case Sony has just four - Uncharted, God Of War, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo. Others may base it on consistent sales for an IP, in which case Killzone is up there as well. Some base it on internet popularity or by comparing to other publishers, in which case Nintendo has a lot more stronger IP's than Sony.

Ballas said:
alabtrosMyster said:

They can do whatever they want, if the game is as good as the others in the series, people will get it... Why do people focus on only one aspect of something...

Agreed, the series is fantastic and people here are ignoring all the qualities of these games just because they dislike the protagonist.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Ok sorry I misinterpreted. Do you play God Of War games then despite disliking the protagonist?

As I said I liked playing as Kratos up until GoW 3, but after he got the big payoff from his origin story I had no desire to play as him anymore. 

Ballas said:
naruball said:

I would normally consider a strong IP as one which sells 4 million+ per installment, which case Sony has just four - Uncharted, God Of War, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo. Others may base it on consistent sales for an IP, in which case Killzone is up there as well. Some base it on internet popularity or by comparing to other publishers, in which case Nintendo has a lot more stronger IP's than Sony.

I realise that strong is very subjective, but he clearly said "no strong IP's". That's just false.

naruball said:
Ballas said:

I realise that strong is very subjective, but he clearly said "no strong IP's". That's just false.

Yeah like I just pointed out four strong Sony franchises. Also his statement R&C and J&D belong to other companies is factually incorrect.