By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Game of thrones season 6 about to ruin the books? George has "writers block".

I am a...

Reader of ASOIAF and will watch the season 6. 24 34.29%

Reader of ASOIAF and will NOT watch season 6. 18 25.71%

Reader and I just can't decide. 1 1.43%

Reader& off to live i... 2 2.86%

Viewer of the show. HaHa... 14 20.00%

Viewer of the show. scare... 10 14.29%

Total:69
CladInShadows said:
Trunkin said:

Well, you're gonna be waiting for the rest of your life, buddy. While there's at least a chance that "The Mountain Who Doesn't Write" will actually finish Winds some day, book 7 is a lost cause. I put the books behind me when I finished Dance five years ago, and I'm not looking back. It's been nearly a decade since I first read this series, and in that time GRRM has written one freaking book -- which was  technically only half of a book that he was supposed to have finished ten years ago! And -- holy shit! -- it wasn't even that good! No. There's no chance the book series is ever going to end.  The show may have butchered elements from the books, but at least it's happening.

Also, good luck avoiding spoilers. I've never been able to pull thst off with any popular work. There's always some jackass who has to bring it up in a totally unrelated discussion.

That's all well and good, but since I don't like the show as much as the books, the books not being finished or the show being spoiled for me means I just won't finish it at all. I don't care that the show is happening or not happening. I'm a fan of the written word so much more than I am of TV.

And really, there are works of fantasy out there that have surpassed this series in scope and quality, so it's not like Martin has the monopoly on this type of fiction.

Fair enough. I wish I could have your attitude, but I just care too damn much.

What series would you say surpassed Song? I've only read two others that compare to its scope: The Wheel of Time, and The Prince of Nothing/The Aspect Emperor. WoT isn't anywhere near as good as  ASOIAF, and PoN, while good, didn't have me as engaged in the chracters and their plights. It's been too long since I read either, though.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
CladInShadows said:

The one that immediately comes to mind is Malazan: Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.  Massive massive series, and probably an order of magnitude more complex than ASOIAF. Probably a little more "fantasy" and a little less "human." While it doesn't offer the exact same experience as ASOIAF, it is often mentioned in the same breath.

I'll give it a read but I very much doubt it. ASOIAF which is as much about the complex relationships, character development and the dialouge between them than the larger arch of Dragons and Ice beings. No other fantasty does it this well moment to moment while implying and working of such rich lore and then binds it all together in a grand high fantasy setting and story arch.

It is, and Malazan has a little less of that, but the complexity of the series is absolutely above that of ASOIAF. But it is also very much more of a fantasy series than ASOIAF.  That one is drama first and fantasy second. It's more about political intrigue, etc, and a good chunk of it (so far) could have taken place in any number of other settings. Malazan wears its fantasy on its sleeve.

But if you asked me which I preferred, I would definitely lean towards Malazan. It's an extremely difficult series to start up, but it's worth it.

binary solo said:
I didn't much like the direction of a lot of characters in Season 5, so I find it very easy to drop the show and just wait for the book. Maybe I'll pick the show back up once the whole book series is done. But by then the show will probably have faded into a distant memory. I bought all of the Bly-rays for the first 4 seasons, but I'm not buying the Blu-ray for Season 5.

Most characters have the same direction in the book though..

Aww I certainly wouldn't want the books spoiled for the readers. However, at the same time I can't help but smirk at the douches who spoiled the show for viewers.

I love the show. I haven't read the books though, i struggle to read books xD i start thinking about other things like whats for dinner etc

Around the Network

I will be dead long before he finishes the books. I started reading them back in the late 90's, think he started writing them early 90's. 25 years and he still hasn't finished the series, I will settle for whatever they come up with on the TV series as I won't read any of the newer books of the series now.

Now we have to consider all those illiterate people who can't read these ice and fire books and even though they are now about to be ahead of the game this time , they have had to put up years of people talking about all sorts of spoilers from the books and besides having the series spoiled by those actions have had to wait years for the then spoiled shows to come out , they need our pity.

Now I have been hiding from Star Wars spoilers since 1977 knowing there would be the obvious  prequels and sequels and wanting to watch them in chronological order  unspoiled , all I know about Star Wars is it is  a war movie.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

John2290 said:
CladInShadows said:

It is, and Malazan has a little less of that, but the complexity of the series is absolutely above that of ASOIAF. But it is also very much more of a fantasy series than ASOIAF.  That one is drama first and fantasy second. It's more about political intrigue, etc, and a good chunk of it (so far) could have taken place in any number of other settings. Malazan wears its fantasy on its sleeve.

But if you asked me which I preferred, I would definitely lean towards Malazan. It's an extremely difficult series to start up, but it's worth it.

I will read the prequel trilogy from what I've seen, looking for a cheap paper back now but the original ten books? I can't take an Author seriously when they put out ten books in nearly as many years. There is only mediocrity to be found, possibly good ideas  never explored in the depth as they deserve, no great insight is imparted in them which ammounts to no epic quotes or enough complexity to  the characters and the lack of research time on the Authors part shows through. Even Stephen King can't pull the shit off. The prequel trilogy however looks promosing from what I've read, the author is now experienced and he put four years of that experience between books, to hopefully get of the book producing factory line he seemed to have been on. One of the greatest books in its genre that I've ever read, the spy novel, I am Pilgrim, took plus ten years for the Author to put together, 

Your loss, I guess. And it generally isn't a good idea to read a prequel trilogy before reading the main series, but whatever floats your boat.

Trunkin said:
CladInShadows said:

That's all well and good, but since I don't like the show as much as the books, the books not being finished or the show being spoiled for me means I just won't finish it at all. I don't care that the show is happening or not happening. I'm a fan of the written word so much more than I am of TV.

And really, there are works of fantasy out there that have surpassed this series in scope and quality, so it's not like Martin has the monopoly on this type of fiction.

Fair enough. I wish I could have your attitude, but I just care too damn much.

What series would you say surpassed Song? I've only read two others that compare to its scope: The Wheel of Time, and The Prince of Nothing/The Aspect Emperor. WoT isn't anywhere near as good as  ASOIAF, and PoN, while good, didn't have me as engaged in the chracters and their plights. It's been too long since I read either, though.

I probably would have cared more if the last 11 years didn't see only one (ONE!!!) release in the series. I can wait another 11 years if need be.  Or forever, if it's spoiled. :)

I mentioned the Malazan series a few posts back. Probably the biggest, most complex fantasy series I have ever read.

Boutros said:
binary solo said:
I didn't much like the direction of a lot of characters in Season 5, so I find it very easy to drop the show and just wait for the book. Maybe I'll pick the show back up once the whole book series is done. But by then the show will probably have faded into a distant memory. I bought all of the Bly-rays for the first 4 seasons, but I'm not buying the Blu-ray for Season 5.

Most characters have the same direction in the book though..

Jaime, different. Stannis, different. Selyse and Shireen, different. Sansa, different. Myrcella, different. Bronn, different. Brienne, different. Barristan, different. Melissandre, different. Jaime and Cersei's relationship, different. Even the manner of how Jon got to his end point was substantially different.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix