By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anybody read occultish novels? HP Lovecraft, etc?

I'm looking for some recommended reads on "bloodborn"-ish novels. Currently, I'm reading "The House on the Borderlands". It's pretty great, although the writing style is a little too psuedo-intellectual for me. 

I'm looking for some good psychological stories involving occultish monsters and the like. 

Thanks in advance

Around the Network

I suggest The Black Cat and other Stories, if you haven't read that one yet. Although the definition of "monsters" might not be to your taste, is still a haunting collection of tales.

I'd recommend The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

You can find Lovecraft stories online as they are public domain. Some suggestions of his work.

1. The Color Out of Space
2. The Call of Cthulhu
3. The Thing on the Doorstep
4. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
5. The Shadow Over Innsmouth

My personal favorite Lovecraft story is "At the Mountains of Madness." 

Around the Network
Augen said:
You can find Lovecraft stories online as they are public domain. Some suggestions of his work.

2. The Call of Cthulhu

So, I started listening to at the mountains of madness, but that's about aliens, right?

Which ones listed above do you think fit my taste better?

Tagging for reference later on. I haven't read anything from the genre but I might later.

theprof00 said:
Augen said:

2. The Call of Cthulhu

So, I started listening to at the mountains of madness, but that's about aliens, right?

Which ones listed above do you think fit my taste better?

The Color Out of Space is also a horror-tinted science fiction, if you're trying to avoid aliens and such, so any of the other stories likely would fit what you're looking for better. Of those other four, the Call of Cthulhu is my favorite, and very helpful for getting into the rest of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.