By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Watched Dead Man Walking...(lethal injection and death penalty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyN7vnLRFzo SPOILER(End Scene: main character gets lethal injection, and dies)

It's creepy honestly. The fact that we can put a person to death by inserting 3 chemicals into him...

Watching movies like these just make me appreciate the fact I'm still alive.

On another side note, it made me think(as usual. I overthink most of the time). Should we proceed to give lethal injections? Or keep killing inmates if their actions were deemed cruel enough?

I don't know why, but I feel like the only person who hesitates to kill anyone, even the likes of murderers like Hitler and Stallin. Sure, if I was in a quick die-or-live situation, I'd shoot them or kill them with what I have. But when it comes to moments where I choose whether the person dies or lives, it's hard honestly. Most people are glad to kill criminals(alot of people I know are wanting rapists to be killed as well). 

Sure, the pros are that another horrible person left the Earth. At the same time though, what pros are there? And the amount of innocent death row inmates is quite disappointing. it'd be terrifying to be killed for a crime you didn't commit.

Death penalty is probably one of the few subjects where my feelings interfere with facts. I'm not entirely up-to-date on death penalty statistics, pros and cons, etc etc., but to me, killing just seems...unsatisfying. Sure, you kill the criminal, but what next? Emptiness in your heart after realizing killing the person didn't help in any way?

At the end of the day though, I always wonder how it feels to be on death row. Every day, expecting today might be the day you're chosen to be killed.  Then for lethal injection users, realizing the moment you close your eyes, you're never opening them ever again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

It's obvious many liberals have never been the victim of a heinous crime, much less ever been incarcerated at a place anything like Auschwitz.

Nighthawk117 said:
It's obvious many liberals have never been the victim of a heinous crime, much less ever been incarcerated at a place anything like Auschwitz.

Is that implying I'm a liberal?

I've been at many Jewish memorials where actual victims of the holocaust stayed. It's horrifying, and displeasant to be at. Seeing what the Jews went through is disappointing. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

First and foremost, the primary function of the criminal justice system is to protect society, not to punish criminals. Actually, that should be functions 1-10, just to hammer home that fact. Punishment for the sake of punishment is nothing next to that consideration. Revenge is not justice.

When we get to the idea of killing someone, of legally taking their life away, as a society, it should be with that idea in mind, that it's done to protect the populace from someone who has been judged to be a threat as long as they draw breath. That should be the only reason it's done, if we're going to do it at all. Something as petty as punishment should never enter the equation.

I will never support the death penalty. My sig summarizes why.

Around the Network

the death penalty should only be used when there is the uttermost proof. I'm talking witnesses (who actually have been proven reliable and have undeniable proof of being a reliable witness), DNA potentially, extensive investigation of the detectives/police/court process involved in their crime and their conviction.

Its concerning to me the number of inmmates who have been not only let out of JAIL but also let out of death row because they've been found to either have been falsely convicted by bad evidence or literally framed.

That said I do believe the death penalty is a wise thing to use to some degree. In cases where a person being alive will only serve as a danger to others unless they're constantly locked in a square cube. Because lets be honest- whats the point of someone living if they're contained to a little cube and can't leave that one room? Sure, its possibly fair for a rapist or mass murderer to suffer in solitude BUT I doubt you can ever be certain they won't be a threat to others. We do hear about prison guards being killed time to time or even escapes.

I think it just falls down to a logical standpoint. If someone has done such awful things as to clearly have no grasp on their humanity or a degree of what is right and wrong then its doing THEM a disservice as well as a society a disservice of keeping them around.

There's no point in spending money to keep someone alive who is dangerous and will forever have a strong potential of hurting others.  I'm talking serial killers and serial rapist sort of things though.

It definitely is disturbing some of the criminals who have been put to death by the flawed justice system whom clearly were not constantly committing crimes or 'evil' per say.

And that's where it comes back circular, the death penalty should only be used if there is extensive proof of all of the committed involved crimes AND those who helped convict the criminal are also to some degree investigated. It sounds like detective 'inception', but truly there needs to be fullproof investigations of former investigations. Too many detectives and police just want a quick road to glory and will put together pieces to fit however they want to get a conviction or 'criminal'.

At any rate I'm rambling but I definitely think the death penality serves as a tool in society to get rid of incredibly dangerous and evil people, as well as serves as a tool of warning and (hopefully) preventing others from taking such a dark road. It logically shouldn't be about being vengeful as much as it should be about simply following a code and setting a precedent in society: if you kill or rape others repeatedly and prove yourself a danger to society then there's no room for you here.

Hell if you want to technically get rid of the death penalty so you don't have guilt on your conscience, just make an island where you send all of the worst criminals and let them deal with each other there.

All I know is the worst thing you could do is set a precedent that no matter what someone does, no matter who they rape or kill or abuse, that they won't get killed due to our PC society. that sort of ideology creates a society and mindest in which certain criminals will consider it worth it to commit their crimes. Life is the biggest thing you can take from somebody, and as awful as it is I do think its logical to use it as a leveraging tool to attempt to keep evil people from doing evil things. Its that simple.

There's a huge issue though when we have strongly convicted serial killers/serial rapists who sit on death row for the better part of a decade before they're excecuted. That sort of thing shouldn't be happening. If someone has damaged and destroyed a ton of other lives then there's no excuse to feed them and let them sit in (sometimes) moderate comfort

I support the death penalty in theory but how it's done these days, no I don't support that. It needs to be reformed as whole because it's become a political quagmire which lost sight of what it's for.

It's not intended to be much of a punishment in my opinion. It's meant to be used a scare tactic for everyone else and it's mainly just used to remove individuals (their burden on society) who are too violent to live in society or keep alive in comfortable prisons for most of their lives. It's the most logical way to deal with 'em.