By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Evolution Studios Closed

Qwark said:

So there is still hope for Driveclub VR (yes I know it's a bit insensitive but I would love a VR update). Anyway dick move from Sony to held a requitment event before closing evolution to aquire lion head staff. Hopefully they find new jobs soon.

Different skill sets. You wouldn't hire Evolution to make Uncharted and you wouldn't hire ND to make Driveclub. Sony will have hired staff they need for certain projects. No doubt they'll hire some of Evolution for GT Sport.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Nautilus said:

Okay, I misspoke.What I meant is that they dont release that many exclusives(first partys I mean).Well, at the very least, I dont feel like they do.

While I might agree with you the first two years where a bit bar boned. Have you seen all the exclusive content for PS4 in 2016 it's a pretty huge amount of high budget parties swarmed all over the year.

I agree. These first 2 years have been a little barren exclusive wise but I guess it's quite normal for PS consoles with a slow start as SCE tend to support their consoles to the end.

Luckily we know from experince that SCE will eventually build a varied library of quality exclusives and as you say they're starting this year with R&C, UC4, GT Sport, Horizon, TLG, No Man's Sky, Detroit, Dreams, Nier, Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, Wild, etc.

Platina said:
So many closures recently.. is very unfortunate

This one might have a happy ending though (its differnt from the MS ones).

"...just 2 days ago, the former evolution studios employees who were let go, formed a new studio called "sorcery secret", which just got a exclusive development deal with Sony for Playstation VR."  -  Backbreaker65 @neogaf.

My guess is most are going to Sorcery secret, free of will, to work on a new and more exciteing project (same people, new name).

Others will get to help on Gran turismo.

JRPGfan said:

This one might have a happy ending though (its differnt from the MS ones).

"...just 2 days ago, the former evolution studios employees who were let go, formed a new studio called "sorcery secret", which just got a exclusive development deal with Sony for Playstation VR."  -  Backbreaker65 @neogaf.

My guess is most are going to Sorcery secret, free of will, to work on a new and more exciteing project (same people, new name).

Others will get to help on Gran turismo.

Well, there you go.

The PS5 Exists. 

kowenicki said:
Will there be a Sony tweet inviting them all for a recruitment meeting next week?

No. Not next week. Today :)

"We will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies."

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Will there be a Sony tweet inviting them all for a recruitment meeting next week?

Well if you look at the post above yours, you will see that some member of Evolution have formed a new studio and have a exclusive developmental deal with Sony for PSVR and in their PR statement they said they'll reallocate some developers to other projects.

I called it, I'm sure others did as well. Once I saw the layoffs I knew this studio was going to close eventually.

Eh not really surprised, the studio confused me as a 1st party Sony studio. They never brought anything to the table that made them a worthwhile purchase on Sony's part. Sony have shut down much better studios this gen.

ktay95 said:
Eh not really surprised, the studio confused me as a 1st party Sony studio. They never brought anything to the table that made them a worthwhile purchase on Sony's part. Sony have shut down much better studios this gen.

This gen? Wasn't the last one Studio Liverpool back in August 2012?

KingofTrolls said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Don't ... just don't.

Sony Bend ? London Studio ? North West Studio ?  Foster City Studio ?Do u ever heard about them ? No ? Maybe because they make no games ?

All of them placed in the UK ? Dude Brithih pound is a killer.

If you want to troll as your nickname suggest, youshould at least know what you are talking about!

Gift for you to localize the Sony's studios:

http://www.worldwidestudios.net/locations