By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is sold out all over Japan and Nintendo isn’t talking

Thunderbird77 said:
binary solo said:

Just because no such thing exists now, doesn't mean one can't exist. I can imagine a possibility of NX being a Handheld device that comes with a caddy that connects to a TV/monitor that is basically a HDD and power source. If they can put Wii U level specs into a handheld then it will be able to deliver very satisfying performance on a TV so basicilly can be a hybrid. 

The only limitation for a hybrid is how much power you can put into a device that is small enough to be an attractive handheld console.

There is no such thing as a hybrid console. I'm not talking about one not existing right now, I'm saying the concept is impossible.

Your example isn't a hybrid, it's a handheld. See?

They can't put wii u level specs in a 2016/2017 handheld for less than $299+ at launch.

I don't see what exactly is impossible in tablet like device that wirelessly via dongle could be connected with TV.

Device like that could be used like handheld or it could be used like home console attached to TV, so yes, it would be some kind of hybrid of handheld and home console.

Concept like that is very possible.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Thunderbird77 said:

There is no such thing as a hybrid console. I'm not talking about one not existing right now, I'm saying the concept is impossible.

They can't put wii u level specs in a 2016/2017 handheld for less than $299+ at launch.

I don't see what exactly is impossible in tablet like device that wirelessly via dongle could be connected with TV.

Device like that could be used like handheld or it could be used like home console attached to TV, so yes, it would be some kind of hybrid of handheld and home console.

Nothing impossible with that (except for the wireless), but a handheld that connects to a tv is still just a handheld.

Soundwave said:

I think Nintendo has basically manufactured the last of their Wii Us already, so whatever they have now they're not going to be making any more, probably because they likely are getting bent over by their supply chain manufacturers (Sony in part owns the only factory that can make the Wii U's eDRAM or something).

There could be other issues at play here too, since the Wii U is a relative failure of a product, the supply chain manufacturers probably want a high minimum order from Nintendo, and Nintendo may be reluctant to get locked into too many Wii Us out of fear of being stuck with unsold inventory with the NX coming. 

In that scenario Nintendo then likely has to eat a loss to get rid of that unsold stock. 

That's the idea, for sure. Whether they've used all of their chips remains to be seen. What is clear is that they are very reluctant to build more machines than they need to hit quarterly sales goals. 

EDIT: If the NX isn't a home console, they are really being ultra-conservative with production.

Additionally, restricting shipments serves a second purpose of artificially justifying an earlier NX launch date. It was getting hard to square a rushed release for the next console when the Wii U was not only profiting, but up YOY almost every sales week.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Telling you. NX is going to release very soon. E3 announcement with immediate availability. They need to make a huge splash to turn this tide.

I just really want Nintendo to phase out the U and release the NX. While I have had a great time with my Wii U, it is a huge failure and needs to be (officially) laid to rest. I hope they've learned their lesson, but I am still somewhat apprehensive.

Hi

Around the Network
Thunderbird77 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nothing impossible with that (except for the wireless), but a handheld that connects to a tv is still just a handheld.

Again I don't see why wireless would be impossible.

Like I wrote, device like that could be used like handheld or it could be used like home console attached to TV, so yes, it would be some kind of hybrid of handheld and home console.

Does no one read my post lol.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NINTENDO NX.

ZhugeEX said:
Does no one read my post lol.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NINTENDO NX.

Its that no one reads your posts, its that people see something they want to push and see an avenue to do so.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Thunderbird77 said:
binary solo said:

Just because no such thing exists now, doesn't mean one can't exist. I can imagine a possibility of NX being a Handheld device that comes with a caddy that connects to a TV/monitor that is basically a HDD and power source. If they can put Wii U level specs into a handheld then it will be able to deliver very satisfying performance on a TV so basicilly can be a hybrid. 

The only limitation for a hybrid is how much power you can put into a device that is small enough to be an attractive handheld console.

A 3g Vita connected to a PS4 remotely is this impossible concept you are talking about, go anywhere with the Vita, have it connected to the PS4 rendering and uploading games to you on the move with the Vita, as long as your mobile provider has reliable download and your home connection has good upload this is a portable/home hybrid functional as of when the PS4 released (it technically was there with the Vita/PS3 but that remote play was very limited because of the ps3's power)

As for the topic, I think Nintendo needs to be a bit more transparent with what they're doing right now, if they just keep their doors closed and don't tell people what their plan is then it makes buying a system of theirs a really bad investment right now or if they don't cop on a bit with their PR then in the future they would remain a dangerous investment, no one wants to buy a console equivilent of the Sega Saturn right before the drop of the Dreamcast.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

spurgeonryan said:
Well until the actual NX comes out they still need money. So not producing enough makes no sense. When does TP release there?

They have to spend most of that money manufacturing new systems though. I do think bringing unsold Western stock across is probably the most logical option, though even that is relatively expensive, it'll just ensure there isn't a glut of clearance hardware at the end of its cycle.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.