By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rocket League – 2.7 Million Out Of The 4 Million Total “Priced” Sales Are Coming From The PC

in concept this game sounds terrible. without ps+ i don't think it would have sold 1.3 million on ps4 because those sales are from people like me pressuring friends that bought a ps4 after it was free on ps+ to buy the game and play with me. this game did great with word of mouth and i think ps+ is the reason for it.

also, since i got it free it was easy for me to decide to buy a bit of the dlc.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
in concept this game sounds terrible. without ps+ i don't think it would have sold 1.3 million on ps4 because those sales are from people like me pressuring friends that bought a ps4 after it was free on ps+ to buy the game and play with me. this game did great with word of mouth and i think ps+ is the reason for it.

also, since i got it free it was easy for me to decide to buy a bit of the dlc.

I had to be severely pressured to even add it to my library.  I'd been watching people stream it but I was like meh I'll play it for a day and then move on.  

People since have played it in my house and they went on to buy it.  Even to this day we'll be on battlefield and we'll be like who's up for a game of rocket league and everyone will say Yeah except one guy who doesn't have it.  And we're all like wtf man it's only 20 quid.  He's going to get it and so the cycle continues.  

This is the definition of a viral title and it's got ps plus to thank for that.  What a service! 

Yeah it's really funny that. For instance hardware rivals on paper looks just as appealing to me as rocket league. I got that free too but played it once for a day. Had fun but haven't played it since.

OneKartVita said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Calm down. It's "sold" 10 million (6 million with PS+ and 4 million with priced sales) as of now. It's not going to double that with retail.

It will do well retail and digital on ps4 and digital pc.  The game is a phenomenon and will have continued good legs.  10m seller on ps4 for sure.  It's already has 2 10m sellers and this will join the list. 

Oh you were talking about retail+digital. For some reason I read it as 10 million sold at retail.

It makes much more sense now.

TheGoldenBoy said:
OneKartVita said:

It will do well retail and digital on ps4 and digital pc.  The game is a phenomenon and will have continued good legs.  10m seller on ps4 for sure.  It's already has 2 10m sellers and this will join the list. 

Oh you were talking about retail+digital. For some reason I read it as 10 million sold at retail.

It makes much more sense now.

Yeah I meant over 10m owners of the game on the ps4. Currently about 1 in 5 ps4 gamers own the game which is just insane.  

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
JNK said:
well this just prooved how bad the pc plattform is, if it only sells double as many copies on pc compared to ps4, where people got the game for free.

Even if that is true, I don't see how it makes the entire platform bad...

bad in term of sales ;)

I don't have a PS4 and only heard about this game because of PS+

CGI-Quality said:
JNK said:

bad in term of sales ;)

The PC platform is "bad in terms of sales"?

yeah, ust compare modern game sales on pc compared to consoles. Right here on VG Chartz ;)

CGI-Quality said:
JNK said:

yeah, ust compare modern game sales on pc compared to consoles. Right here on VG Chartz ;)

Why would I do that when we don't track digital sales? Sounds like you took a needless potshot at the platform and I wouldn't advise you to continue with this. ;)

because you can compare retail sales ;) 

Those sales are alot more reliable anyway. I wont count an 2$ steam winter sale sold game as a real "sale".

CGI-Quality said:
JNK said:

because you can compare retail sales ;) 

Those sales are alot more reliable anyway. I wont count an 2$ steam winter sale sold game as a real "sale".

You'd have to be pretty naive to think that comparing console retail sales to PC sales is a legit way to go about it.

It is.