By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So whatever happened to that flood of Wii third-party support?

I read bigjon's thread about what Wii games people were anticipating, and considering I have finished a few games on the Wii even though I don't own one I figured I would check out IGN to see what games I might have to track down one of my friends to play. I noticed that there was more third-party games than before, but many of them were licensed games (synonomous with poor quality) like Bratz Kidz, Garfield Gets Real, The Destiny of Zorro, or PS2/other ports, like Okami, Death Jr., and Rygar: Battle of Argus.

Now there have been some third-party games announced recently or announced awhile ago that range from passable to good like Oppona (looks like a hit or miss title to me), Boom Blox, Facebreaker, Monster Hunter 3 (HUGE in Japan, miniscule everywhere else), and Tales of Symphonia, but I was really having to do some searching to find games I wanted to play, and I even read up about several games on this list.

I know some of you will tell me to wait until E3, but I heard the same thing last year. People have been talking about a flood of Wii third-party support for over a year now, but I still don't see it. Things could very well change this year, but I think third-parties have either dropped the ball or simply still don't want to risk pumping a great deal of money into a Wii game that could be rejected by the fanbase. Please point out any games to me on this list that I should look into, because I am curious to know more about the good ones.

March 25, 2008 Emergency Mayhem Codemasters Action
March 25, 2008 MiniCopter: Adventure Flight Aksys Games Flight
Simulation
March 25, 2008 Obscure: The Aftermath Ignition Entertainment Action
Adventure
March 25, 2008 Octomania Conspiracy Entertainment Puzzle
March 25, 2008 Opoona KOEI RPG
March 27, 2008 Summer Sports: Paradise Island Destineer Sports
Compilation
March 28, 2008 King of Clubs Oxygen Games Puzzle
Action
March 31, 2008 Monkey King: The Legend Begins, The UFO Interactive Shooter
April 8, 2008 Baroque Atlus RPG
April 15, 2008 Okami Capcom Adventure
April 21, 2008 Battle of the Bands THQ Music
April 22, 2008 Wild Earth: African Safari Majesco Adventure
April 27, 2008 Mario Kart Wii Nintendo Racing
Action
April 29, 2008 Castle of Shikigami III, The Aksys Games Shooter
April 29, 2008 Dream Pinball 3D SouthPeak Interactive Pinball
May 2, 2008 Don King Presents: Prizefighter Take-Two Interactive Sports
May 2, 2008 Iron Man SEGA Action
Adventure
May 2, 2008 Monster Lab Eidos Interactive Simulation
May 6, 2008 BlastWorks: Build, Trade, Destroy Majesco Action
May 6, 2008 Boom Blox Electronic Arts Puzzle
Action
May 6, 2008 Dog Island, The Ubisoft Adventure
May 6, 2008 Speed Racer Warner Bros. Interactive Racing
May 12, 2008 Harvest Moon Heroes Natsume Adventure
May 12, 2008 Major League Eating: The Game Mastiff Sports
May 14, 2008 Death Jr.: Root of Evil Eidos Interactive Platformer
May 15, 2008 Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, The Disney Interactive Studios Action
Adventure
May 19, 2008 Top Spin Tennis 2K Games Sports
May 19, 2008 Wii Fit Nintendo Sports
May 20, 2008 Backyard Baseball 2009 Atari Sports
May 20, 2008 We Ski Namco Bandai Sports
May 27, 2008 Emergency Heroes Ubisoft Adventure
May 27, 2008 Kung Fu Panda Activision Action
June 2, 2008 TNA iMPACT! Midway Games Wrestling
June 2, 2008 Wonderworld Amusement Park Majesco Simulation
June 3, 2008 Alone in the Dark Atari Adventure
June 3, 2008 Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 Ubisoft Shooter
June 3, 2008 Incredible Hulk (2008), The SEGA Action
June 3, 2008 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures LucasArts Adventure
June 9, 2008 Iron Chef America: Supreme Cuisine Destineer Simulation
June 10, 2008 Target: Terror Konami Shooter
June 16, 2008 Garfield Gets Real Destination Software, Inc. (DSI) Action
June 24, 2008 Big Beach Sports THQ Sports
June 24, 2008 WALL-E THQ Action
Adventure
June 29, 2008 Guitar Hero III: Aerosmith Activision Music
June 30, 2008 Wacky Races: Crash & Dash Eidos Interactive Racing
July 2008 Active Life: Athletic World
Sports
Compilation
July 2008 Cabela's Monster Bass Activision Value Sports
July 2008 Kitty Luv Activision Value Virtual Pet
July 2008 Space Chimps Brash Entertainment Adventure

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

fixed your thread

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Here is the second half of the list which didn't come out as well:

July 16, 2008 NCAA Football 09 Electronic Arts Sports
August 2008 Madden NFL 09 Electronic Arts Sports
August 2008 Rygar: The Battle of Argus Tecmo Action
August 2008 Samba de Amigo Wii SEGA Music
August 2008 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed LucasArts Action
September 2008 Bratz Kidz Game Factory Action
September 2008 Build-A-Bear Workshop Game Factory Simulation
September 2008 Heroes Over Europe Red Mile Entertainment Flight
Action
September 2008 Rubik's World Game Factory Puzzle
September 2008 Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Namco Bandai RPG
September 17, 2008 Ultimate Band Disney Interactive Studios Music
Q3 2008 Deca Sports Hudson Soft Sports
Compilation
Q3 2008 Diabolik: The Original Sin Black Bean Adventure
Q3 2008 Ghostbusters: The Video Game Sierra Action
Q3 2008 Igor: The Movie Legacy Interactive Action
Q3 2008 Line Rider Genius Products Puzzle
Q3 2008 Littlest Pet Shop Electronic Arts Simulation
Q3 2008 Mushroom Men Gamecock Action
Q3 2008 NERF N-Strike Electronic Arts Action
Q3 2008 Professional Bull Riders Crave Entertainment Sports
Q3 2008 Top Spin 3 2K Sports Sports
Q4 2008 King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga SNK Playmore Fighting
Q4 2008 Major Minor's Majestic March Majesco Music
Q4 2008 Mortal Kombat Next-Gen [untitled] Midway Games Fighting
Q4 2008 New Beginning, A Daedalic Adventure
Q4 2008 Samurai Shodown Anthology SNK Playmore Fighting
Q4 2008 SNK Arcade Classics: Volume 1 SNK Playmore Action
Compilation
TBA 2008 100 Bullets D3 Publisher Action
TBA 2008 1701 A.D. Ubisoft Simulation
TBA 2008 Alive Ubisoft Action
TBA 2008 Animal Crossing Wii Nintendo Simulation
TBA 2008 Black [next-gen] Electronic Arts Shooter
TBA 2008 Blitz 2008 Midway Games Sports
TBA 2008 Blitz: The League Midway Games Sports
Action
TBA 2008 Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting *TBA Productivity
TBA 2008 Brave SouthPeak Interactive Action
Adventure
TBA 2008 Bruiser & Scratch in Case of the Puzzling Paw *TBA Adventure
TBA 2008 C.I.D 925: An Ordinary Life Oxygen Interactive Platformer
TBA 2008 Cake Mania Wii Majesco Simulation
TBA 2008 Carnival Games Mini Golf Take-Two Interactive Sports
Action
TBA 2008 CCTV *TBA Action
TBA 2008 Chiquititas Emergent Action
TBA 2008 Cid the Dummy Oxygen Games Platformer
TBA 2008 Crack Down [Virtual Console] SEGA Action
TBA 2008 de Blob THQ Action
TBA 2008 Deadly Creatures THQ Action
TBA 2008 Deal or No Deal Destination Software, Inc. (DSI) Trivia
TBA 2008 Defend Your Castle XGen Studios Action
TBA 2008 Destiny of Zorro , The
Action
TBA 2008 Disaster: Day of Crisis Nintendo Action
Simulation
TBA 2008 Dragonology

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

This will *not* be pretty.

Which is why I'm just going to sit back, and watch the fireworks.

Soriku said:
So... you expect 20 AAA third party announcements in 3 months?

OK.

3 months?  I can think of 3 that have been made in the last 12 months.

Around the Network

OMG, apparently VGChartz can't handle a long grid from IGN.

These are ones I want. Some of the release dates weren't announced yet , and I'm not using your list. All of the ones you said,Fragile, Project O, FFCC:TCB, maybe monster lab,maybe brother in arms,I didn't decide which console to get alone in the dark on,Okami( will be good even if it is a port), I also want some 1st party games, and there also should be some unannounced games.

Edit: I forgot muchroom men and fatal frame thank you naznatipz.I also think obscure might be good despite being another port.

Edit2: that is easily 20+ games this year.  

Delete your second post till you can figure out how to do it right.

Answering the actual question in the op: Games aren't developed instantly. To the contrary, it takes 1-2 years for a game to have developed even enough to show off on a console. Think about what was happening a year from today: Wii was still sold out of small shipment sizes, but most agreed it was a temporary situation.

I think it's much more reasonable to look for stuff at E3. That said, some stuff to look forward to:

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
King's Story
Monster Hunter 3
Fatal Frame 4
de Blob
Fragile: Farwell Ruins of the Moon
Samba de Amigo
Okami
Mushroom Men
Spore
Shiren the Wanderer
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
We Love Golf
Deadly Creatures

On WiiWare:

Lost Winds
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Eternity's Child
Defend Your Castle
Bomberman

Those are just the announced exclusives. By the way this thread is a poor thinly veiled attack. You could have looked up the Wii's major 3rd party games in the Wii games of 2008 thread quite easily.

Edit: Screw it, Akuma logged.  I'm just locking this thread.  It's unreadable.  If he wants to make it again without scewing it up when he gets back fine.