By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: In some years, Nintendos console will be the most successful and last relevant

Do you agree

Your text is to long, im to lazy to read it. 51 15.84%

Agree 72 22.36%

Disagree 169 52.48%

Results 30 9.32%

Total:322

Here ist why:

Our technology is already on a very high level. Video games will stop looking significant better and better in the future. You can already just see small differences between ps3 and ps4 and there was even a 7! years gap between both. The differences between ps4 and ps5 will be even smaller.

We already good 3d models, realistic looking animations, realistic looking faces, realistic light effects, realistic shadows and more. It wont get much better.

The gaps between previous generation were huge. Introduction of 3d graphics (SNES to n64), Introduction of HD graphics (ps2 to ps3) and more. 4k and more is not significant better enough to grap consumer attention. 4k tvs still dont sell as great and 4k content doesnt either. The average consumer isnt really interested in 4k, 1080p is enough.

Also great graphics in video games need really high budgets. The sales of video games didnt increased much in the past years, the production costs do however. As prettier a game is, as more expensive it will be. We will soon reach a point were it wont be profitable anymore to reach better graphics.

Our mobile phones are already capable of deliviering ps3-like graphics. In just some more years, we will see ps4 graphics.

Smart Tv will be able to handle ps4 graphics. That will be enough for the average consumer.

Sony and Microsoft both live from third party developers. The most sucessfull games on playstation and xbox are GTA, COD, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Elder Scrolls and co.
When all those games will be available on smart tvs, smartphones and low budget pcs with "ps4-like graphics"; many consumer wont buy an Xbox or playstation anymore.

Sonys and Microsofts IPs are great, but not that popular. Sure we got TLOU, Halo, Uncharted but thats pretty much it in terms of very popular franchises. Not enough to move consoles in my opinion.

Nintendo on the other hand still have mario (most sucessfull video game character), Mario Kart, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash. Pokemon alone sold millions of Gameboys. As long those titles wont be available on smart tvs, mobile and co (and i doubt nintendo will make full games available there); these are still great reasons to get a nintendo system. 

At the moment hardware power is a big selling point. I say it wont be important in the future anymore. Then only games will count. Nintendo will win here. Third Partys wont care about Sony and Microsoft, they will try to reach as many consumers as possible and move to smartphones, smart tvs, "apple tvs" and co as soon these will be strong enough.

Sony and Microsoft dont have enough to offer aside from raw hardware power. Nintendo can sell more consoles even with inferior hardware (gameboy, DS, Wii). As smaller the gap in terms of hardware power will get, as more this will help nintendo and weak the competition.

graphics comparison snes, n64, ps3, ps4, iphone: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7744310

Actual mobile games capabilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzCGX2q3Z4 (Keep in mind those games also need to run on older/inferior hardware and the budget on those games are still very small. A iPhone 6s or galaxy s6 exclusive game (uses all the power and wont run in inferior devices) with high development budget could do even more.

This game (cryiss 3) run nativly on the nvidia shield. Its an android tv box, using a ARM CPU similar to whats used in smartphones. And already almost 1 year old. The actual a9x chip used in the ipad pro is even faster. Those chips arnt extremly expensive and are very powerfull already know. They improve heavily every year (around double performance every year). In just 2-3 more years, we will have very, very advanced mobile technology if this rate continue.

And finally this is an iphone 4 back in 2010 at its full potential:

And iphone 6s (~50x as strong as an iphone 4) will do much, much better.

also see this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=213819&page=1#8

Around the Network

You're naive to think that Sony or Microsoft don't have anything to offer besides hardware power ...

It is Nintendo that must prove that it can offer higher quality games than the 3rd parties out there ...

fatslob-:O said:
Your naive to think that Sony or Microsoft don't have anything to offer besides hardware power ...

It is Nintendo that must prove that it can offer higher quality games than the 3rd parties out there ...

What do they have to offer beside their hardware and a handfull of popular exclusives?

ROFL LOL!
Nintendo fans are clearly going full bore.
I still remember when the Wii U was gonna be uber powerful and third parties were gonna worship Nintendo.
No difference between PS3 and PS4
Smartphones have PS3 level graphics
Smart tvs have PS4 graphics...
What alternative world you live in...

Show me a game for smartphone that has even 20% the scope and graphics of a ps3 game like the last of us.

Around the Network
JNK said:

What do they have to offer beside their hardware and a handfull of popular exclusives?

It's not their brand that's the highest quality asset, it's their customers! 

Low end PCs will never replace consoles due to the fact that costs aren't coming down fast enough and there's also a lower amount of convenience too ... 

If they do want to get lower costs by doing a custom build then at that point they've transcended beyond being some gamer but most console users will simply not go through the trouble ... 

Ultra mobile devices like smartphones will never catch up to consoles in terms of giving similar experience when power consumption will limit that ... 

I also can't see cloud gaming taking off too when internet speeds aren't rising fast enough either ... 

In conclusion, both Microsoft and Sony have some great conditions compared to other avenues and that's all that makes their endeavors worthwhile ...

elektranine said:
ROFL LOL!
I still remember when the Wii U was gonna be uber powerful and third parties were gonna worship Nintendo.

Im not an Nintendo fan. I own a ps4. I dont need to be a fan to make a prediction. Stop beeing a fanboy please.

Snes to N64 Graphics improvements:

#

Ps3 to Ps4 improvements:

Ps3:

Ps4:

Comparison:

iPhone Game:

elektranine said:
Show me a game for smartphone that has even 20% the scope and graphics of a ps3 game like the last of us.

mobile games actually dont have as high budgets. Also the mobile industry is evolving faster. The iPhone 6s already is 4x as strong as the iPhone 5s. Still all games available run fine on the iphone 5s. Mobile games dont use the full potential of the modern hardware yet. Performance whise, an iphone 6s is stronger then an ps3.

Here is an comparison of bioshock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QukJKR_F3mM

Keep in mind this still uses the a7 chip (iphone 5s/ iPad air). And the game was also made to run on even less powerfull devices (like iPhone 4s which again is just 1/4 of the power on an iPhone 5s). The actual a9 chip is about 4 times as strong. So ~16x as strong as the hardware from the iPhone 4s, were this game also runs on. Mobiel technoligy is evolving fast.

JNK said:
elektranine said:
ROFL LOL!

Im not an Nintendo fan. I own a ps4. I dont need to be a fan to make a prediction. Stop beeing a fanboy please.

SNES to N64 Graphics improvements:

I'll do you one better... N64 to Wii graphics improvements:

N64

Wii

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I would say that it is quite unlikely that your prediction will come to pass. I do not believe that the primary reason people are buying consoles right now is due to hardware power but rather I believe that content and marketing (I would put heavy emphasis on marketing) play a much bigger roll. Sony has done a fantastic job marketing their system to gamers and I cannot see them stopping in a few years even as graphical improvements become less noticeable. That does not mean that I do no believe Nintendo will be relevant, but I doubt they will have the last relevant console.