By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How do I connect to Xbox live/internet in general?

I was trying to do this earlier, I have an Xbox premium and it says that I can't get the internet unless I have hardline/wifi connection. I have no phone lines in my room and no wifi unit on my xbox. Is their alternative I can use instead of the rip off £30 wifi unit I need to connect? perhaps something like nintendo connect dongle so it connects to the internet form my PC.

Thanks 

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:

I was trying to do this earlier, I have an Xbox premium and it says that I can't get the internet unless I have hardline/wifi connection. I have no phone lines in my room and no wifi unit on my xbox. Is their alternative I can use instead of the rip off £30 wifi unit I need to connect? perhaps something like nintendo connect dongle so it connects to the internet form my PC.

Thanks

Use ethernet. IT is faster anyway.

sc94597 said:
highwaystar101 said:

Thanks

Even wireless is much faster than broadband.

If you already have broadband in another part of the house then you could try powerline adapters:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=powerline

I use these for my PC(my 360 is next to my router).

coolio, thanks

Mistershine said:
sc94597 said:
highwaystar101 said:

Thanks

If you already have broadband in another part of the house then you could try powerline adapters:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=powerline

Um ethernet goes at 100mbps while most routers only go up to 56mbps you could get some for like 100 dollars that go up to 108mbps. THis is the bandwidth of the connecter rather than the internet bandwidth. I was saying ethernet is much faster. If your 360 is next to your router I recommend using  an ethernet wired connection.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Mistershine said:
sc94597 said:
highwaystar101 said:

Thanks

Um ethernet goes at 100mbps while most routers only go up to 56mbps you could get some for like 100 dollars that go up to 108mbps. THis is the bandwidth of the connecter rather than the internet bandwidth. I was saying ethernet is much faster. If your 360 is next to your router I recommend using  an ethernet wired connection.

Indeed you are correct sir, and far from trying to contradict you I was merely saying that the speed difference between wired and wireless doesn't really matter as far as broadband/LIVE is concerned.
And yes, wired all the way, especially as my MCE wouldn't work when my PC was wireless.