By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Banning Modded Xbox Systems Help To Lose Potential Sales?

Hey everyone! I dont know to much about modding systems myself and i didnt really know to much about the previous X-box because i got one really close to the end of its life but i was curious to know if banning the modded systems is going to cause people interested in purchasing an X-box to look elsewhere. Or if it will even make current X-box owners look for a different system. I know personally that of the probably dozen people i knew that owned an X-box about 8 or 9 of them had modded them in some form so at least in my area i could see this as a serious problem. just wondering what everyone elses opinion is.

Around the Network

I don't know too much about modding the XBox 360 but I have heard that the mod chips are designed to go into "stealth mode" when an original disc is put into the system; this (essentially) makes it improbable that Microsoft can detect that you have modded your system so you can play games on XBox live.

If Microsoft has started banning people who have modded their XBox I can only assume that either their "stealth mode" doesn't work (which I would say is unlikely) or players who have used "backups" to play games on XBox-Live have started to be banned. Overall, if I am right about the cause, I would expect that this would result in online enabled games being seeing somewhat better sales on the XBox 360 compared to other consoles because pirates would be unable to play the games any other way.

no. I have never modded any of my systems as I don't see why you should.

I've never heard of "Stealth-mode". Thats interesting.

A crap load of modded 360 got banned from Live because of mods yesterday. They can still play games on it, but can't connect to live and play multiplayer games. Basically it stops cheaters... This is something that probably won't happen on the PS3. I love the fact that MS is keeping cheaters of Live.. I think thats a great thing!

Edit: Wait, i'm wrong it doesn't ban them, it just blocks the account.

Edit2 : ok, wrong again, blocks the console... thanks rocketpig

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

gebx said:

A crap load of modded 360 got banned from Live because of mods yesterday. They can still play games on it, but can't connect to live and play multiplayer games. Basically it stops cheaters... This is something that probably won't happen on the PS3. I love the fact that MS is keeping cheaters of Live.. I think thats a great thing!

Edit: Wait, i'm wrong it doesn't ban them, it just blocks the account.

It doesn't even block the account, it blocks THE CONSOLE.

Much more effective.

I couldn't care less about this. The only people who mod their consoles are pirates and cheaters... Neither of which get any sympathy in my eyes. If they read the EULA, they would have known that this was a real possibility.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I think it serves them right personally. Now they have to head out and either buy a new 360 (more sales?), or un-mod their console somehow. I have never modded any of my consoles, and don't really see the point. I am happy to pay money for quality titles - in exchange for cut-price hardware (rather than spending thousands on PC hardware).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Legend11 said:
Even unmodding a console won't get it unbanned once it's already been banned.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)