By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - List of 8th gen, million selling Nintendo IP

SpokenTruth said:
Lawlight said:
Most of those are on the 3DS.

Well, you tried.

OP: Amazing how well some have done in the face of analysts projections.  Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon were supposed to sell less than 2 million and 500k respectively.

My point is that the 3DS is becoming less and less relevant in the west and is being carried by Japan.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon were supposed to sell less than 2 million and 500k respectively.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales

"Mario Kart 8 will likely be the worst selling game in franchise history"

"sales would reach 1.99 million units by the end of March 2015. Meaning this latest Mario Kart would sell a bit more than a third of the copies that the worst-selling Mario Kart, 2001's Mario Kart: Super Circuit for the Game Boy Advance, sold in its lifetime."

Lawlight said:
SpokenTruth said:

Well, you tried.

OP: Amazing how well some have done in the face of analysts projections.  Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon were supposed to sell less than 2 million and 500k respectively.

My point is that the 3DS is becoming less and less relevant in the west and is being carried by Japan.

Well, mobile gaming hit harder in the West, all that young audience that were introduced to gaming thanks to the cheaper handhelds (compared to consoles) suddenly have a new way to play, practically free. Handheld gaming in Japan is better regarded in Japan in general.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Jranation said:
Thunderbird77 said:

That never happened.

150mil ---> 55+mil

100mil ----> 10+mil

Care to show what inacurrate non final numbers have to do with the subject? You said nintendo lost the audience TO SMARTPHONES. No serious person would think or say that.

Thunderbird77 said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Wii U and 3DS hardware sales are both down from GCN and GBA respectively, not to mention NES/SNES/N64 and Gameboy.

Hence why I said significantly

NES+G&W, SNES+GB, N64+GBC, GC+GBA all did roughly 100 million units of hardware with 500 million units of software. 3DS+Wii U are on track to do 80 million units of hardware with 400 million units of software. That amount of decline can possibly be attributed to Nintendo making certain design and marketing mistakes rather than simply losing mainstream appeal.

GBC was not really a separate system, anymore than DS Lite or New 3DS. Gameboy covered both the SNES and N64 generations, but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, 100 million with GCN + GBA to 80 million with Wii U + 3DS is still a 20% decline, I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Both 3ds and Wii U were much more expensive and had way less 3rd party games than GBA and GC respectively, in a time with far more competition. I think those numbers are great, all things considered.

mountaindewslave said:
zorg1000 said:

Hence why I said significantly

NES+G&W, SNES+GB, N64+GBC, GC+GBA all did roughly 100 million units of hardware with 500 million units of software. 3DS+Wii U are on track to do 80 million units of hardware with 400 million units of software. That amount of decline can possibly be attributed to Nintendo making certain design and marketing mistakes rather than simply losing mainstream appeal.

this.

the Wii U has been heralded pretty much universally as terribly marketed and conceptually put together badly. If you're not going to go for top of the line graphics then you either need a unique GIMMICK (think Wii with wii motion controls) OR at the very least a traditional format of controller

Nintendo did neither of those. they picked a large expensive controller with a huge screen that the majority of gamers just don't want. Players don't want to stare at their controller and a secondary screen

all Nintendo needs to do is make a more hardcore system that isn't about gimmicks and has regular controllers and the sales will go back to fairly normal

others have made good points though, even adjusted for inflation the Wii U / 3DS are priced MUCH higher than some other generations were. the Gamecube and GBA were at like 100$ and 70$ price points respectively after being out for a few years. the 3DS and Wii U are more than double that

in terms of dollar sales I don't suspect Nintendo is doing that much worse than the N64 / Gamecube eras. Obviously compared to the Wii / DS era (which was a record for combined sales of homeconsole + handheld) it looks bad, but its just not that big of a difference from some other generations in terms of dollar sales

the biggest thing that hurt Nintendo this generation was the development cost of the Wii U versus it performing poorly

they will do fine with the NX, the Wii U is an anamoly due to the poor decisions that have already mentioned many times

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Anyway, 100 million with GCN + GBA to 80 million with Wii U + 3DS is still a 20% decline, I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Like I said, a 20% decline can be explained by other reasons than simply "less mainstream"

What did a GC+GBA SP cost in 2003 onward? $200 total, what have the premium 3DS sku+Wii U cost for the majority of this generation? $500. Even adjusted for inflation, that's nearly double the cost to own both pieces of Nintendo hardware. Is a nearly 100% percent mark up on price a potential reason for a 20% decline?

As for marketing, many people initially thought 3DS was nothing more than a redesigned DS with a 3D screen and many people thought Wii U was nothing more than a tablet accessory for Wii, did either GBA or GC suffer from consumer confusion like 3DS/Wii U did?

Totataly agree.

Around the Network

The thread is about software but I see a lot of discussion here about hardware.

Well.... The decline in Nintendo´s hardware sales is not isolated. Let´s not forget that there´s a decline of sales for all the console industry. PS4 and XboxOne are now selling better than its predecessors just because those had horrible first and second years, we still don´t know how they will perform in their 3rd or 4th year (will it be similar os less?)..... PSVita is not even necessary to mention......

Of course the decline is huge considering Nintendo´s consoles and there´s some point in arguing that they lost part of their relevance in this market, but still it´s not only about Nintendo. PC, mobile, tablet gaming has been achieving huge audiences lately and taking away some of the dedicated console audience

AlfredoTurkey said:

3DS games are not a part of the 8th generation. They have their own gens.

Good try.

They´re consoles anyway, and they´re in thei 8th generation....

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Like I said, a 20% decline can be explained by other reasons than simply "less mainstream"

What did a GC+GBA SP cost in 2003 onward? $200 total, what have the premium 3DS sku+Wii U cost for the majority of this generation? $500. Even adjusted for inflation, that's nearly double the cost to own both pieces of Nintendo hardware. Is a nearly 100% percent mark up on price a potential reason for a 20% decline?

As for marketing, many people initially thought 3DS was nothing more than a redesigned DS with a 3D screen and many people thought Wii U was nothing more than a tablet accessory for Wii, did either GBA or GC suffer from consumer confusion like 3DS/Wii U did?

Causes like price and appeal don't discount the end result though. Ultimately, people will pay higher prices if something is more desirable; PS2 was more expensive than Gamecube but vastly outsold it.

How well Playstation devices sell is irrelevant to our discussion, we are talking about Nintendo now compared to previous Nintendo generations in which case things like price & marketing are certainly potential factors for a 20% decline.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Megaoverlord12 said:
zorg1000 said:

You wouldn't mind if I used this concept and put together lists for other publishers, would you? I would credit and link to this one, of course.

Nope go for it, I would like to see the results, but just to let u know this isn't simply games published by Nintendo, it's games based on IP they own. There are a number of games from 3rd parties that Nintendo handles publishing for in the west like Professor Layton, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, etc. None of these were counted.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

JRPGfan said:

This is 3DS + Wii U right?

sony haspublished:

ps4 = 11 games over 1m by vgc. (nintendo has 17 games over 1m on wii u, its published)

vita = 3 games over 1m by vgc.

In that sense... nintendo doing 40 games over 1m, vs Sonys 14 games looks impressive.

However the PS4 & vita havnt been as long on the market.

By the time the PS4 is old and dying, Sony will probably be above where nintendo currently are.

This list isn't simply games published but games that are Nintendo IP, 3rd party owned IP that Nintendo publishes in the west like Professor Layton, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life that have passed 1 million are not included because Nintendo doesn't own those IP. I'm not sure if that changes the PS4/Vita numbers if u only include games that Sony is the owner of the IP.