By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Females in Gaming

I noticed an annoying trend lately, a lot of game sequels or new ip's have female chracters as protagonists. Now this isn't something bad on itself but i have the feeling that a lot of developer force them selves to make the protagonist of their game a female just to be politically correct, i mean i have nothing against female characters being playable but in a industry mostly dominated by male people (yes there are a lot more males playing video games than females, don't kid yourself) to shift it's focus soley on female protagonist just to be politically correct or to avoid stereotypes in video games, just isn't right.
I mean i myself don't like it to play as a female character, that's mostly because i like to identify myself with my hero and i am really not so hot about the idea to spend 60$ to play as a female. And i do get a lot of flack for this.
Long story short, with the rise of feminist in our (western) society, i fell like their influence is reaching the gaming industry and i do not like it, not at all. Especially considering females tend to bash video games more than males.
So what's your thought on this? Did you notice that trend too? Would it annoy you to see your favorite franshise change it's protagonist to a female? And most importantly...does my view on this make me a misagonist?

Around the Network

We should have hermaphrodite protagonists so that everyone is happy.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

That's a very flawed logic you got there. So just because more males than females play video games, all the main characters should be male? What if a developer decides to make gay protagonist? Would that be done solely to be politically correct? What about black characters? Is every Black protagonist the result of PC?

How exactly do you know that that's not a choice that the developer made, but rather a move due to the feminists? This is not a rhetorical question. I expect an answer.

Also, you may wanna look up a thread on vgc where users were asked whether they prefer playing as a male or female. The comments show that most prefer playing as a female. In other words, just because you are a guy and feel a certain way, don't think you can speak for everyone.

If you're gonna make such claims, you may as well provide some examples. How far does this "trend" go back to? Did it start with Tomb Raider? Final Fantasy? Wet?

AmericanAli said:

I noticed an annoying trend lately, a lot of game sequels or new ip's have female chracters as protagonists. Now this isn't something bad on itself but i have the feeling that a lot of developer force them selves to make the protagonist of their game a female just to be politically correct, i mean i have nothing against female characters being playable but in a industry mostly dominated by male people (yes there are a lot more males playing video games than females, don't kid yourself) to shift it's focus soley on female protagonist just to be politically correct or to avoid stereotypes in video games, just isn't right.
I mean i myself don't like it to play as a female character, that's mostly because i like to identify myself with my hero and i am really not so hot about the idea to spend 60$ to play as a female. And i do get a lot of flack for this.
Long story short, with the rise of feminist in our (western) society, i fell like their influence is reaching the gaming industry and i do not like it, not at all. Especially considering females tend to bash video games more than males.
So what's your thought on this? Did you notice that trend too? Would it annoy you to see your favorite franshise change it's protagonist to a female? And most importantly...does my view on this make me a misagonist?

Someone might argue that that can be said by any woman that plays Videogames, but honestly I feel the same.

Imho devs shuold just go the Pokémon route where you can chose your sex and NPCs don't care about it but act according to the relationship you have with them and not your gender.

The only exception should be canon characters that are icons of their own franchise such as Mario, Batman, Link (tough someone thinks that they might add Linkle to the next Zelda games I'm not positive they'll do it ) and so on...

Luke888 said:
AmericanAli said:

Someone might argue that that can be said by any woman that plays Videogames, but honestly I feel the same.

Imho devs shuold just go the Pokémon route where you can chose your sex and NPCs don't care about it but act according to the relationship you have with them and not your gender.

The only exception should be canon characters that are icons of their own franchise such as Mario, Batman, Link (tough someone thinks that they might add Linkle to the next Zelda games I'm not positive they'll do it ) and so on...

Isn't that a woman in your avatar?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Equality means it doesn't matter if it is a male or female as long as the creative vision is intact. Despite of the statics.

Or we could start a menists movement :p

Luke888 said:

Couldn't disagree more. The Pokemon route would be terrible, as the story is basic as hell and pretty childish (I've been playing Pokemon Y the last couple of days). Not only that, but there is nothing distinctive about the character. He/she could be replaced by anyone. That's not how you tell a good story. Unless you expect the developers to make two different storylines just so that they can offer the option of different sex.

Did developers "force" themselves to have male protagonists before? I used to think this way before but now I realize its flawed. Pus female protags are still a minority so theres no need to fear.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

The question is, when i play a 3rd person game, do i want to stare at a male or female butt for hours and hours ?

I know my answer.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

The fact that you bring it up at all, means it's bothering you.

I don't care about the characters sex, as long as it's a good game. Can we move on from this now?