By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The challenge of launching a console in China, Why Sony is turning to Indie Devs

Nintendo is smart for making mobile games.

I can imagine Nintendo dreaming about the big bucks they're gonna make from the games/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
ZhugeEX said:
Luke888 said:

So do you think there's space for a Handheld market for at least the followup to the 3DS ? Plus are Steam machines a thing or what ? 

Honestly I think handheld market ship has sailed now. Especially in China where Mobile is handheld. People do everything on their Mobile in China. It has replaced the usage cases for Desktop and for low income people it's cheaper than Desktop. So all services are available on Mobile first! 

When it comes to gaming the same applies. 

The West is the same as well tbh. Even new Nintendo 3DS hasn't increased sales, just slowing the decline. 

Thank you for your answers, The picture you give me of the Chinese market really  reminds me of the Mobile choices Nintendo made with Miitomo and Pokémon GO, I can't help but to think about such games becoming instant killeraps in such a market where local gaming seems to be non existing...

Luke888 said:
ZhugeEX said:

Honestly I think handheld market ship has sailed now. Especially in China where Mobile is handheld. People do everything on their Mobile in China. It has replaced the usage cases for Desktop and for low income people it's cheaper than Desktop. So all services are available on Mobile first! 

When it comes to gaming the same applies. 

The West is the same as well tbh. Even new Nintendo 3DS hasn't increased sales, just slowing the decline. 

Thank you for your answers, The picture you give me of the Chinese market really  reminds me of the Mobile choices Nintendo made with Miitomo and Pokémon GO, I can't help but to think about such games becoming instant killeraps in such a market where local gaming seems to be non existing...

Anytime. :)

Yes, Miitomo makes sense as a social media app. It's a new way to interact with people and hopefully will have some other features built in. But Nintendo needs to be clear that there is competition like 'Line' in Japan that can be similar and already have large install bases. So Nintendo will be relying on brand + heavy promotion for awareness. 

Yes if they do well it can be a great move for them. But if they don't get a foot in then it's not going to be great. So we will need to wait and see what happens. Plus hopefully we get more info on these apps/games. 

That was a great read! Very informative.

Has China relaxed its censorship of video games lately? I recall, for instance, that Europa Universalis III was not allowed in China as it acknowledged the historical existence of Tibet, but there's many, many, Chinese posters in paradox's forums playing EU IV lately. That's generally where I encounter Chinese gamers most often, actually.

ZhugeEX said:
HoloDust said:
Great read, thanks for posting this. I find micro-console part especially interesting, I'm wondering if there will eventually be company that will hire 3rd parties (or make their own 1st party studio) to make exclusive games for their console.

It's funny you should mention this, I have a article I am preparing to post a couple of days from now about this. 

The company is called FUZE Entertainment. They are the guys who funded the Red Ash Kickstarter and Megaman stuff for comcept. They are releasing a console in China this year (based on Android) but very powerful and with good dev tools etc...

They plan to launch the above games on these consoles + have partnered with others like Codemasters, Koei Tecmo etc.... to bring console games to their micro console. 

Yeah, that's about what I had in mind - some company that will, given the number of gamers in China, yet specific financial and cultural structure, actually try to make micro-console market primary console market. Looking forward to your article about FUZE.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

That was a great read! Very informative.

Has China relaxed its censorship of video games lately? I recall, for instance, that Europa Universalis III was not allowed in China as it acknowledged the historical existence of Tibet, but there's many, many, Chinese posters in paradox's forums playing EU IV lately. That's generally where I encounter Chinese gamers most often, actually.

Thank you. 

Censorship is weird in China. 

For example on PS4 GTA5 is banned. But you can go ahead and download it from STEAM...... 

FOr some reason Govt doesn't care about STEAM so much + piracy / VPN get around blocks for other stuff. 

So because PS4 + XB1 is a closed physical system it suffers. But STEAM is online selling licenese so gets away for some reason lol. 

HoloDust said:
ZhugeEX said:
HoloDust said:
Great read, thanks for posting this. I find micro-console part especially interesting, I'm wondering if there will eventually be company that will hire 3rd parties (or make their own 1st party studio) to make exclusive games for their console.

It's funny you should mention this, I have a article I am preparing to post a couple of days from now about this. 

The company is called FUZE Entertainment. They are the guys who funded the Red Ash Kickstarter and Megaman stuff for comcept. They are releasing a console in China this year (based on Android) but very powerful and with good dev tools etc...

They plan to launch the above games on these consoles + have partnered with others like Codemasters, Koei Tecmo etc.... to bring console games to their micro console. 

Yeah, that's about what I had in mind - some company that will, given the number of gamers in China, yet specific financial and cultural structure, actually try to make micro-console market primary console market. Looking forward to your article about FUZE.

I will post it here when it is up :)