By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Crow caught on video manufacturing a tool off a tree twig for food extraction

AbbathTheGrim said:
KLAMarine said

We've never found fossilized tools or cave paintings from millions of years ago so I'm going to say no. Plus, they didn't have thumbs like we do.

Some time ago there was Barney though.

His arms are terribly short though and he didn't devour the kids he'd hang around with thus his species has long disappeared.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

Yeah, just watched that one: just added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89C5gsdaSXg to my 'watch later' list.

I bookmarked it as well. Looks interesting, but I don't have 55 mins free right now.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
KLAMarine said:

Yeah, just watched that one: just added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89C5gsdaSXg to my 'watch later' list.

I bookmarked it as well. Looks interesting, but I don't have 55 mins free right now.

Neither do I: it's real late where I live so gonna hit the sack soon.

KLAMarine said:

His arms are terribly short though and he didn't devour the kids he'd hang around with thus his species has long disappeared.

He didn't eat them because he was smart, plus he needed them around to feel better of himself as his brain wasn't as developed as a grown human. He used to hang out with kids to feel smart. :P

By the way, it is theorized that our limbs, our hands, and how we used them to figure stuff out like tools and grabbing stuff helped, among other possible factors, develop our brain to set us apart from the rest of the animals, but there is no information that says that in order for an animal to acquire our intelligence (or self-awareness) it would need to have and go through the same process as we did.

Maybe different paths could lead to similar results. :)

AbbathTheGrim said:

By the way, it is theorized that our limbs, our hands, and how we used them to figure stuff out like tools and grabbing stuff helped, among other possible factors, develop our brain to set us apart from the rest of the animals, but there is no information that says that in order for an animal to acquire our intelligence (or self-awareness) it would need to have and go through the same process as we did.

Maybe different paths could lead to similar results. :)

You're right. Not maybe, different paths can certainly lead to similar results.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

Well, it is possible that only we humans are the only beings in the Universe to achieve this level of intelligence. Maybe not, but it is a possibility. It is possible that our unique form of development and environment allowed us to the point we are right now and that is why it seems it was so hard for the rest of life here on the Earth to share this jump with us. That is why I used the "maybe", otherwise we would give for certain that other intelligent life, on the same level or above, exists in the universe.

On the other hand, I wonder if we will ever get to find a very fucked up looking life-form that is as intelligent as us. If we ever, I doubt it's going to be on our time, unfortuntely... or fortunately.

Crows and other certain types of ravens are known to be extremely intelligent. In fact in clinical studies they were not only shown to be self aware, but also to be capable of basic calculations and reasonably difficult problem solving.

One experiment I remember, had a string threaded through a fence with food at the end of it. The string itself was too far away to reach and pull on, the only thing in reaching distance of the crow was a short stick wich was just about too short to reach the string on it's own. However on the other side of the fence there was a longer stick just out of reach for the crows to pick it up with their beaks.

Not only did all the crows in the expieriment solve this successfully, but they did so on their first try, without resorting to trial and error. Noticing that, while the short stick would be useless to get to the food directly, it would be a good tool to reach the longer stick, to then reach the food with. The crows were seen to look at and take in the whole situation before acting on it.

In fact I remember reading an article that theorized that bird braincells are more powerful than mammal braincells. Not only are their brains very small, but they are also lacking the creases and folds (like a walnut) that are characteristic for mammal brains and serve to give the meninges more surface area and thus more space for braincells.

If bird braincells worked exactly the same as mammal ones, with their small surface area and therefore relative lack of braincells, birds should be relatively stupid, yet they are among the most intelligent animals we know of.

AbbathTheGrim said:
KLAMarine said:

Well, it is possible that only we humans are the only beings in the Universe to achieve this level of intelligence.

I highly doubt that since the Universe is big. And I mean really, really

BIG HUGE GIGANTIC

AbbathTheGrim said:

On the other hand, I wonder if we will ever get to find a very fucked up looking life-form that is as intelligent as us. If we ever, I doubt it's going to be on our time, unfortuntely... or fortunately.

I wish we could find life forms from other planets as long as they come in peace of course! Would be interesting.

I like how this one is trained to feed both a cat and dog.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

SuperNova said:

Crows and other certain types of ravens are known to be extremely intelligent. In fact in clinical studies they were not only shown to be self aware, but also to be capable of basic calculations and reasonably difficult problem solving.

One experiment I remember, had a string threaded through a fence with food at the end of it. The string itself was too far away to reach and pull on, the only thing in reaching distance of the crow was a short stick wich was just about too short to reach the string on it's own. However on the other side of the fence there was a longer stick just out of reach for the crows to pick it up with their beaks.

Not only did all the crows in the expieriment solve this successfully, but they did so on their first try, without resorting to trial and error. Noticing that, while the short stick would be useless to get to the food directly, it would be a good tool to reach the longer stick, to then reach the food with. The crows were seen to look at and take in the whole situation before acting on it.

In fact I remember reading an article that theorized that bird braincells are more powerful than mammal braincells. Not only are their brains very small, but they are also lacking the creases and folds (like a walnut) that are characteristic for mammal brains and serve to give the meninges more surface area and thus more space for braincells.

If bird braincells worked exactly the same as mammal ones, with their small surface area and therefore relative lack of braincells, birds should be relatively stupid, yet they are among the most intelligent animals we know of.

Could it be the experiment you are referring to is the second one in the video I posted in the first page:

https://youtu.be/2X5BuK84Adk?t=34s

Really amazing stuff.

KLAMarine said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
KLAMarine said:

Well, it is possible that only we humans are the only beings in the Universe to achieve this level of intelligence.

I highly doubt that since the Universe is big. And I mean really, really

BIG HUGE GIGANTIC

AbbathTheGrim said:

I wish we could find life forms from other planets as long as they come in peace of course! Would be interesting.

Yeah, the universe is huge and considering the relative ease with which scientists have found planets similar to ours orbiting suns in our galaxies, the chances of finding life in other planets seem very high.

There are some people that push for the idea that intelligent life we may find one day must be peaceful and with good intentions but I wouldn't be surprised if they are very much like us, we good people and good assholes.

Chazore said:

I like how this one is trained to feed both a cat and dog.

Yeah, that video was also at the end of the second I posted in the first page. Maybe in time we can train them to feed our babies or hospital patients and stuff. :P