By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - HDMI cable?

My 360 just got the red ring of death and now im sending it back to microsoft for repairs for 3 weeks or however long it takes. Now im thinking about upgrading to a 360 elite, then just sell the other one to my friend. Now i know the 360 elite comes with an hdmi port and cable and i have a full 1080p hd lcd tv. My question is will this cable make the games look even better than they already did on my previous 360?

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

Around the Network

Well it depends on if you were using component cables last or composite cables.

If you were using component cables then your HD more then likely max out at 1080i.

With the HDMI cable it will go to 1080p and it just prevents using all those cords (red, blue green, etc..) and puts it into one. So no significant increase.

hdmi cable will allow it to go up to 1080p

JGarcia050 said:

My 360 just got the red ring of death and now im sending it back to microsoft for repairs for 3 weeks or however long it takes. Now im thinking about upgrading to a 360 elite, then just sell the other one to my friend. Now i know the 360 elite comes with an hdmi port and cable and i have a full 1080p hd lcd tv. My question is will this cable make the games look even better than they already did on my previous 360?

All Xbox 360s now come with an HDMI port. Games will look the same as they did via component. The games are almost all rendered in 720p -- upscaling to 1080p via your TV's upscaler or Xbox 360's upscaler will result in about the same picture, and component delivers a very high quality picture.

Getting the Elite for only $100 extra is a good deal, because it comes with both a $3 HDMI cable and also a black paint job. Aside from the larger hard drive, the unit is identical to the Premium and Arcade units.

hdmi cable will allow it to go up to 1080p

That depends on the set -- my set, for example, can take 1080p via component.  However, if you have a good TV you are better off setting your Xbox to the original resolution of the game (720p most of the time) and letting the scaler in your TV set handle the upscaling.

Keep in mind that the Xbox 360 elite is just as likely to get another RROD error as any other Xbox 360 for sale in stores right now since it is identical hardware.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29838.html

here is a comparison of the PS3 component vs. HDMI, 360 should be similar.

Around the Network

yea u will. i remember when i bought a hdmi cable for my 360 it was very noticeable.

HDMI is a digital signal, versus component, which is analog. That means that, while some minor signal degradation likely occurred over your component cable while displaying in HD, HDMI delivers pixel-perfect HD. In other words, you should see a minor, barely-noticeable increase in display quality.

The real advantage to HDMI over component, IMO, is true Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Getting a true 5.1 speaker setup isn't that expensive, either; a cheap, decent-quality set won't run you more than $150.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

JGarcia050 said:

My 360 just got the red ring of death and now im sending it back to microsoft for repairs for 3 weeks or however long it takes. Now im thinking about upgrading to a 360 elite, then just sell the other one to my friend. Now i know the 360 elite comes with an hdmi port and cable and i have a full 1080p hd lcd tv. My question is will this cable make the games look even better than they already did on my previous 360?

YES!! Get one now!!!

I had both my PS3 and 360 hooked up to the same TV and I used the HDMI for my PS3 and standard cables (that came with it) on 360. But I decided to use HDMI for both and the 360 picture is improved dramatically!!!

HDMI FTW!!! HDMI pwns Basic cords!!

I'm back...

There is no real difference between the two, it's down to the other pieces of kit.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/09/13/hdmi-vs-component/
There are plenty of otherarticles available if you google.

@Garcian
Are you saying that optical/digital coaxial CAN'T do 5.1 audio? If so my AV reciever must be lying to me.