By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Is No Longer the Underdog

Nintendo's Wii U is the "underdog.  Microsoft's XBox One is an "also ran."  I think that's worse.

Around the Network

Surely the PS4 (ratio wise) has pulled away even further in 2015 than in 2014 no? If thats the case, how can the Xbox not be considered an underdog any more. Unless of course, the OP means its not an underdog anymore (an underdog has an outside chance of winning by definition) but an also ran, which is just there to make up the numbers.

I dont think its that unrealistic to say that that the PS4 is probably 18 months ahead in terms of sales against the Xbox.  For Xbox to even arrive at the figures of the PS4 right now would probably take until Spring 2017.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

I felt Xbox was the underdog only in Japan, everywhere else is fair game.

People seem to not know what the term "underdog" means. Microsoft is the underdog because, although it has a chance, it's very unlikely that it'll win out vs. PS4. WiiU is no underdog because there's no chance. Even Nintendo knows this and has moved on to the next (NX) project. The article is sort of ridiculous because everyone expects Sony to win every month. That's not changed. Especially after even Halo couldn't trump PS4. XBOX One is clearly still the underdog.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

axumblade said:
You're still considered the underdog if you are as behind as Microsoft and Nintendo are. Microsoft are just taking steps in the right direction but who knows if it'll be enough to make up any of the difference.

I didn't realize people still thought there was a chance for MIcrosoft to make up the difference. I think at this point it's pretty clear Sony is the preferred system overall. I'm sure the X1 will have it's moments throughout the rest of this gen though.

Around the Network

XBONE seems to be more and more a regional (North America) relevant presence. Like the old Minitel in France way back then.

Versus_Evil said:
"Xbox One owners can play Rise of the Tomb Raider a full year ahead of PS4 owners as well." looking at those numbers, not a lot of Xbox one owners are playing it.

exactly my thought.

xbox will always be the underdog until it can prove it's capable of winning a generation.

Only slighly outsold globally in the US.

That reminds me of this:

If MS is no longer underdog, I suppose they will stop trying harder.