By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U's browser is pretty awesome.

LemonSlice said:

P.S. did you try holding down ZL and ZR? :p

That was pretty cool!

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
I have to say - the browser on the WiiU is far better than the one on the PS3 and the 3DS from what I tried.

The only other browser that beats it pretty much is the PS4 browser from what I've tested so far.

I have not used the Wii-U browser, but I think the PS4 browser sucks for the most part. I can't tell you how many times it has ceased working, and closed due to "not enough free memory". Even with just one page open. I could open 6 pages on the PS3 browser. I won't tackle the PS3, but it definitley had major faults. Other things you could do on the PS3 and not on the PS4 are copy, paste, and use file sharing services to download...er...movies. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

baloofarsan said:
Ruler said:
Can you watch youtube on it?

It is better than the youtube app.You can play the youtube clip on the TV while still browsing on the gamepad. Or choose to watch it on the pad. You can fast forward/backward with the L/R buttons or the left thumb stick.

EDIT: Pro Tip. if you want to see non-common video formats:

• Go to Start Page
  • Go to settings (top right)
  • Go to "Switch User Agent"
  • Choose iPad 
  • Go back and try to play the video again.

Unfortunately this resets when you turn the Wii U off.

Hm i havent ran into any video formats that didnt play, but Reddit wouldn't load properly. Maybe that will help. Thanks.

I haven't tried it but it should be miles better than the Wii browser. For me, the wii browser is such a pain in the ass. The ps4 browser was very good though, much much better than the ps3 version.

I dislike how they changed the search to Nintendo's own custom search (instead of just plain good 'ol Google), but other than that it's great.

The New 3DS's browser is also pretty nice all things considered.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
baloofarsan said:

I have to give more tips!

Be sure to check the manual, especially: Basic Controls: Browser Screen Controls

ZL/ZR to change between tabs.
L/R triggers to go back or forward in browsing history.

Push down (to click) right thumb stick to center on text (works 90% of the time).
Push down (to click) left thumb stick to toggle bottom bar.

When writing, move the cursor back/forward with L/R triggers. Hold to auto move.

To copy text hold the stylus for a second (where you want to start copying) and move whitout lifting. An extra menu make you choose between copy & paste.

To erase text use the key (x in a black box) on the top right on the screen keyboard.

To open link in new tab: go to link with D-pad and hold A.
To close tab: hold B

Zoom with right thumb stick, or +& -

When watching videos you can put the video on the TV and continue browsing with the pad. (Hard to explain in text, but you figure it out quite easily)

THE UGLY:
You can only have six tabs simultaneously.
When going between tabs you often have to download the site again! :(

If you are not writing in english, french, german, dutch, russian, spanish, portuges or italian (EU version) you have to hold a letter for half a second to get the other letters: a (hold) gives you à, á, â, ã, ä, å, æ

Facebook is a mess.

Awesome stuff!

Tagged!

BasilZero said:
COKTOE said:
BasilZero said:
I have to say - the browser on the WiiU is far better than the one on the PS3 and the 3DS from what I tried.

The only other browser that beats it pretty much is the PS4 browser from what I've tested so far.

I have not used the Wii-U browser, but I think the PS4 browser sucks for the most part. I can't tell you how many times it has ceased working, and closed due to "not enough free memory". Even with just one page open. I could open 6 pages on the PS3 browser. I won't tackle the PS3, but it definitley had major faults. Other things you could do on the PS3 and not on the PS4 are copy, paste, and use file sharing services to download...er...movies. 

lol that is weird because I experienced similar issues as you explained but for my PS3 XD. I had to reset my PS3 cause it literally froze my PS3 - was like wtf

Yeah I dont bother copying/pasting but its nice to be able to watch YouTube videos on a big screen :)!

Ruler said:
Can you watch youtube on it?

Yep! Its fantastic and works well with the gamepad too.

With my experience - for myself I was able to watch YouTube videos without any issues on my WiiU and PS4 - cant say the same for my 3DS or PS3 for some odd reason.

Oh yes. The PS3 browser is the worst. My PS3 crashed/froze at a ridiculous rate while using it. The PS4 does't actually crash, and force a reset, but rather it is unable to open certain pages, gives me the "not enough free memory" alert, and kicks me back to the PS4 home screen.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

baloofarsan said:

If you are not writing in english, french, german, dutch, russian, spanish, portuges or italian (EU version) you have to hold a letter for half a second to get the other letters: a (hold) gives you à, á, â, ã, ä, å, æ

I didn't kow you can do it that way, too

While we're at it: if you tap on the keyboard specifing the language of the keyboard and wordlist, there are also symbols and additional special characters (that's where I went when I had to type one which was not on the 3 main pages). And that list ist pretty big: be it cyrillian letters or other, pretty unknown letters like ű ł ő ř į ħ ģ ı ų and so on, and lots of symbols like … (yep, these 3 points count as a symbo, too) ¾ ♀♂★ ↑↓←→⇒⇔√™©® ± (always forget that one) ¹•‡∞

And it's quite possible that your browser on PC won't show them all correctly if the needed language pack is missing.

Definitely my favorite console browser so far.

i just wish they supported flash player 10+ so I can watch my nba and nfl league pass using the console