By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When Will the Frame Rate Standard Go Beyond 60fps?

Golly. I forgot all about VR.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

So long as 4K is being dangled before developers likr the proverbial carrot, and the next big thing to slap on a game box before your competitors, you can say goodbye to 60fps let alone 120.

Personal note: those tv's they have in electronics stores with a sports match playing, and showing off the tv's 200+hz "fluid motion" crap, I always find those to be jarringly weird, even though it isn't really possible they feel like they're running smoother than real life, its hard to explain.

vivster said:

Game developers will always find new and innovative ways to keep the framerate down. I believe some don't even know that it's possible to go beyond 60.

Mark my words, next gen we will still have plenty of games running at 30fps.

I whole heartedly agree.

patronmacabre said:

I mean to say that you act as if there is no point at which increasing the framerate becomes effectively useless. I argue that there are severe diminishing returns in the perceived smoothness of animation after 60 FPS, and that those resources would be better spent elsewhere.

I think the difference between 60 an 120 is just as noticable as the difference between 30 and 60 is.

Diminishing Return

Will improve, but not by much imo. 60fps is already really nice, but it's a matter of keeping it consistent with great graphics as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:

So long as 4K is being dangled before developers likr the proverbial carrot, and the next big thing to slap on a game box before your competitors, you can say goodbye to 60fps let alone 120.

Personal note: those tv's they have in electronics stores with a sports match playing, and showing off the tv's 200+hz "fluid motion" crap, I always find those to be jarringly weird, even though it isn't really possible they feel like they're running smoother than real life, its hard to explain.

I think it has something to do with the difference between the way cameras capture footage and the way our brains effect how we percieve the world. High framerate cameras, as far as I can tell, don't capture or add motion blur. As far as I am aware, that's something our brains naturally add to fast moving objects in the world to help us comprehend them better, but since that's not the way high framerate video is displayed at all, its just flashing lights, our brains can't do that motion blur fill in, making everything look weird. Basically, if we saw the world the way these cameras capture the world, when you waved your hand in front of your face, instead of seeing a big blurry mess of skin, you'd see the very detailed and accurate movement of your hand rapidly moving back and forth with substantially less to completely nonexistant blur.

In a way, it sort of is smoother than in real life, because our brains can't cheat for us.

It will in the future, but not anytime soon

Probably yes since graphics themselves have plateau'd while machines are getting more powerful.

If a developer wants 60fps on a VR system pushing stereoscopic channels, that requires 120fps (60fps per eye). So there's already a reason for doubling the number of frames rendered per second, even without increasing the perceived frame rate.

As for 120fps render on a single channel 4k display, my guess is that 8k and above displays will be available before there are GPU set ups that can render at 120fps @ 4k native resolutions which would bring the question whether a developer or player would prioritize playing 60fps @ 4k or 120fps @ 1080p with current GPU set ups.

i think after 4k they will market refresh rates because they will run out of ideas selling you a new TV